Chivalry and Ediquette
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Chivalry and Ediquette

Chivalry and Ediquette

Just something to have fun with on this Holiday weekend. By the way Happy Memorial Day

I was watching TV this morning and apparently this picture has gone viral on Twitter. I think most of us on this forum are older and I would venture to say that you like I was taught by our parents at a young age...chivalry and proper etiquette.
    What's wrong with this picture?

image.jpg
    TWilight likes this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

The woman should be on the inside and shielded from the oncoming traffic. DUH!

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

LOL, hey now, you don't have to be "older" to understand and appreciate Chivalry. I, for one, am 27, and it took me about 2-3 seconds to get that reference (woman on the outside). And I sure as HELL did not learn that from my parents. In fact, the only thing I've really ever learned from my parents is exactly what NOT to do if you want to be a decent human being.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

GTG
    Heh, I believe the practice of the man walking on the outside came from Victorian times, when the chamber pot was emptied by throwing it's contents out a second story window into the gutter.
    "200 cubic centimeters of raw whining power,
    no outstanding warrants for my arrest.
    hi diddle dee dee.
    god damn!
    the pirate's life for me!"

winters in Sudbury, MA, summer on Squam Lake, NH
    I think you're right, GTG. I think I've read that somewhere......probably while sitting on the commode !......and no, I didn't throw the contents out the window.
    I sell TW200 stickers for $2.00ea. delivered. See Hidden Content for details. Hidden Content

2014 TW, DMO pegs, Yamaha rack, Doubletake mirrors, Jimbo shield, extended pilot screw, Snapback clock, Ebay risers, Seat Concepts, o-ring chain, Ricochet skidplate, brake leash, IMS folding shift lever, ProCycle tool tube, 130 main jet and two shims, route sheet holder, compass, temp/humidity
    indicator.

KJ, I'm 28 and I got what that was about right away. Not all of us young punks are like the rest eh?

GTG, I think you're right. I remember hearing the chamber pot thing too. You walk outside of the woman relative to the houses. Not the street necessarily.
    kj7687, TWilight, SanDue and 1 others like this.

Lol, totally BRug. Good to know there are others representing my generation positively

As for the origin of this specific practice...that may well be true. Of course a quick Google search could reveal this if anyone cares to have a go. However, to me it's the principle of this idea as we see it today. Going out of our way to help or protect a woman, simply because we wish to conduct ourselves as courteous gentlemen!
    TWilight, SanDue, dette and 1 others like this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Traditionally the sword arm should not be trapped between lady and gent, it is all about protecting the fairer sex from run-away horses, ruffians and splashed excrement. Modern feminist may say it presumes weakness but I think it is still a nice gesture like opening doors, etc.
    kj7687, SanDue, TWilight and 1 others like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Looks like she may be a little cold. He could offer her his jacket.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

In some cultures the visible offense is that she is not walking five steps behind her man in proper subservience, but at least she is carrying all the burdens, the old "god is great" and "corrupting temptresses just get between a man and his god" party line. I prefer the Christian chivalry values.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links