Automotive Service bull shit/scams/disgusting rotten lies, etc. etc.
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Automotive Service bull shit/scams/disgusting rotten lies, etc. etc.

Automotive Service bull shit/scams/disgusting rotten lies, etc. etc.

This isn't just Jiffy Lube. I can verify this personally, because I worked at another chain automotive shop. I've seen a lot of what's discussed in this video (and the one linked to within it) first-hand, especially the part in which the lady says "it all comes from the top" or whatever. There is SO much truth in that statement. These companies are absolutely disgusting all the way to the highest level. Corporate bull shit trickles all the way down and screws over the customers. I worked in an area where there were at least five or six different chain automotive shops in a 2 mile radius, and just stopping by the other shops (while I was looking for the job that I ended up getting, for example), I could immediately spot a lot of the same garbage that went on in the one I worked at. It's that vibe you get, like when you visit a sleezy car dealership and you can smell the bull shit walking in the form of that stereotypical salesman guy with the cheesy clothes and fake smile. The same ghetto/unprofessional, lying, cheating, scamming, salesman-bull shit con artist jerks pulling the same crap at any one of them. Disgusting. One thing I found "funny" was that Jiffy Lube actually fired some of the low-level employees, when they damn well hired those types of people and encouraged them to behave in the way they did. Even if it isn't directly stated, as in "you must do this many of x services", it will be "strongly encouraged" - they will make it clear that you have to make sales, and if you don't... It essentially becomes impossible for an honest technician to keep their job; the only way you can meet "corporate performance and sales expectations" is by lying, cheating, and scamming. The ones who thrive in these shops are the ones who are more than happy to work that way (they can make easy money by charging for services they don't do, for example). Honestly this rant goes beyond just the automotive service industry, it is representative of the whole damn world and why I so often find myself utterly disgusted with much of humanity.

Anyway, this kind of filthy rotten garbage is a huge part of why I got out of that industry as fast as I could! I am so glad I did; putting up with this crap will drive any decent human being insane. I'm almost ready to call up one of these news agencies and make a deal to do some kind of sting where I get hired again just to expose all of this nonsense.

Here's another one:

I recognize my shop in this video, lol (the company, rather... different location, but the shop layout/interior was exactly the same). That's just awesome... I remember the cabin filter thing. One of the other techs I worked with was getting all flabbergasted that he could not find where the hell the cabin air filter was in a Dodge Caravan (IIRC). I looked it up and, surprise surprise, that make/model/year didn't have one!

If you've been entertained by the links above, here is a whole playlist of similar videos: EDIT: my link didn't work quite right. Sorry. Maybe I'll fix it later.

Going through these is bringing back so many ugly memories from my time as a technician. It's all so familiar to me, everything these people are saying/what is being shown... 20:13 especially - I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm just happy that I wouldn't give in to their bullying and be a despicable con artist like most of the others did (if they weren't already con artists from the get-go, as many of them were).
    Last edited by kj7687; 05-23-2015 at 10:23 AM.
    TWilight likes this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

I worked in a rapid lube when I was a kid and worked up into management at that location.When I started there we did about 20 or 25 oil changes a day and when I left we were up to about 75 and that was all because we were honest and looked after our customers.
    TWilight, plumbstraight and Peterb like this.

Wow, not surprising really but wow. I am a full time tech with Waste Management and everyone in my shops busts their backsides each and everyday. All real good guys when it comes down to it. It's people like the ones in this video that give us all a bad name. More to the point, what happened to men acting like men and just buckling down and doing their job. Lazy, lazy, lazy.
    TWilight and kj7687 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BRug14468 View Post
    Wow, not surprising really but wow. I am a full time tech with Waste Management and everyone in my shops busts their backsides each and everyday. All real good guys when it comes down to it. It's people like the ones in this video that give us all a bad name. More to the point, what happened to men acting like men and just buckling down and doing their job. Lazy, lazy, lazy.
    I'll admit there are at least a few really good, honest shops. But I'm completely convinced that the vast majority of them are of the variety showcased in these videos.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Twilight, I don't suppose you're in the Inland Empire. If you were, I might just take you up on that offer some time ;-) There are definitely times when I get frustrated and find myself unsure of how to proceed during a repair. A sweet motorcycle lift and a shop full of awesome tools sounds pretty nice. A lot of times I find myself wishing I had more/better tools/gadgets and a better work space. Like right now I have the top end off on my KLX and am replacing the cam chain. I've never done a cam chain before and this one is turning out to be a pain in the ass. I broke my clutch hub like an idiot trying to get it off without the Kawasaki clutch-holder tool... Luckily I found a really nice-condition clutch hub on Ebay for $15; it is $104 new! Needless to say I'm getting that Kawasaki tool.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:

Yea it's not too often I have a massive fail-moment like that. I've just been getting really frustrated with this KLX. Nothing but headache and financial ruin from that damn bike. Turning out to be one of my worst investments... At this point I just can't wait to get it FIXED and then sell it, because even if everything is working perfectly, I'm just sick of it and I don't even want to see it anymore.
    TWilight and plumbstraight like this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:

I got layed off in October from a large international chain. I simply couldn't keep up the quota, while remaining honest. Twenty-seven years down the crapper. That, and injuries on the job caused by negligent coworkers. But, I get to hang out on the beach everyday. Life could be worse.

ToeHunter: 27 years - that is literally my entire life to this point! Sorry to hear of your troubles. All too familiar unfortunately. There was a nice guy I worked with who was in his late 40's, and felt that he had wasted his life in that industry. He was one of the few who still tried to do a good job and be honest... That guy had WAY more knowledge than any of the other technicians that worked there, and yet many of them made a lot more money than him because they were crooks, plain and simple. Such a shame.
    Last edited by kj7687; 05-23-2015 at 10:06 AM.
    TWilight likes this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:

I'm an automotive mechanic too but currently work as a locomotive mechanic because I hate the flat rate system (how mechanics get paid) . It took a beautiful trade and turned it into a ..... well lets just say not so beautiful trade. To me one big flaw is that since all the mechanics are on flat rate no one ever takes the time to train and maybe instill some pride in the apprentices. I was so lucky when I was an apprentice to work with a very intelligent, caring older mechanic who always took the time to share his knowledge and experience with me. We never had to gouge anyone to make a living and often I saw old Lou do alot of free extra work without even putting it on the workorder just because he cared about people and was not just a real professional mechanic but a real gentleman. God I miss my old friend Lou.

Disgusted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links