Fuel Injection and Flame-outs
Close

Fuel Injection and Flame-outs

Anyone have experience with modern single cylinder fuel injected bike performance at very low rpms? Not low rpm, but very low rpm...off idle speeds where historically most motorcycle magazine reviews from a few years ago complained of cronic flame-outs and/ or switch-like on/off power delivery? Have manufactures solved this? Fuel injection has many advantages but flame-outs would be a total deal-breaker for me. After a century of developement carburators have the off-idle and low speed transitions figured out as well as recovery from a sudden trottle reduction from max to minimum engine speeds. Can any single cylinder fuel injected system match this reliability?
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I couldn't comment on below idle performance of fuel injected singles as I have never experienced same, the idle
    is not adjustable......but I did try to ride a 650 BMW single on trails a while back. No problem with surging or
    just off idle performance but the thing was geared too high and really didn't wish to go slower than 10mph
    which did make trail riding hard at least for me esp when coupled with massive weight and tall seat height.
    I would think any sort of flame out or surging would be dealt with pretty well with proper gearing which means you'd have to almost count
    on installing a larger rear sprocket on just about any dual sport. The person who'd have a good opinion would be Spud of the Zhonsen "china rider" fame.
    On a related note I found my injected F700GS to be worrisome off road as it didn't wish to go under 15 mph, did kinda feel like a surge as you fought to go slow. It has an idle speed of 1100. But it's not really an off road machine.
    Do us all a favor and head down to Babylon an test ride a Cyclone eh?
    Hidden Content
    Tonto
    on the "Left Coast"
    2015 BMW F700GS
    2005 Yamaha V Star 1100
    2018 Suzuki Van Van
    More Wagging and less Barking
    Make Love not War

Most have addressed this problem with better fuel mapping. That said my 05 Ultra has flamed out on me several times. Having it happen on a dirt bike is one thing but on a 800+ pound hog with my wife on the back is a real eye opener! Good thing I still have strong legs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I suppose if Ossa can fuel inject a two stroke trials bike and have it a sucess in both the marketplace and the world of competition then tunable fuel mapping for four stroke trail bikes could give acceptable results. I think the reviews I read were from tuners more interested in competative motorcross applications where wringing a few more 45+ HP @ 14,000+ rpm from a 450cc mill was more important than my concerns that fuel injection would kill the tractability of something like our TWs. Thanks guys.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I have a 2003 BMW F650GS Dakar. It will run very low rpm's and keep firing until the piston can't overcome the work it is asked to accomplish. At that point, the engine will stop and even kick back just slightly, as you would experience with a kick starter that you failed to follow through on the compression stroke.

Is that what you are asking?

Sponosred Links