Student Driver runs over Dude's bike
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Student Driver runs over Dude's bike

Student Driver runs over Dude's bike

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/poo...ent-1709835490

Questions to consider...
    Would you have been prepared and ready for this?
    Could you have avoided it in time?
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

GTG
    Thanks only to having seen this same thing happen (vehicle backing up out of intersection) many, many times, IMO the best thing the biker could have reasonably done is anticipate this happening. I always leave at least full car length between me and the vehicle in front of me at an intersection just so this can happen. I expect it every time, even in my honkin' great work truck.

*edit- I leave that much space until the vehicle is stopped in the right spot. If he is over the stop line at all, I leave room anyway. I had a guy wait until the light turned green to start backing up. I think he shifted into reverse after he stopped but didn't need to back up, then forgot to shift again. No backup lights, of course.
    Last edited by GTG; 06-08-2015 at 09:06 PM.
    littletommy likes this.
    "200 cubic centimeters of raw whining power,
    no outstanding warrants for my arrest.
    hi diddle dee dee.
    god damn!
    the pirate's life for me!"

From what I understand this happened in Edmonton.....par for the course in this town, some of the worst drivers on the planet..... tough week in this neck of the woods

Four people are dead, including one Edmonton woman, following four separate moto
    littletommy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

He seemed to have enough space, time, and pointed in the right direction (nose to the right) to do something about it. He probably just wasn't believing it was happening though
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

Thank goodness we lane-split here. I like to think I would have come to a stop on the line leaving space either side.
    Definitely could have been me though.

Glad everyone's okay, and as the article/post said that they managed to keep their cools.
    littletommy likes this.
    Finally picked up a Tdub...

COULD the rider have gotten out of the way? Of course. WOULD any of us have gotten out of the way? Maybe...OR, some might have ended up crushed under the car along with the bike... Nice find LT.
    littletommy likes this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by kj7687 View Post
    COULD the rider have gotten out of the way? Of course. WOULD any of us have gotten out of the way? Maybe...OR, some might have ended up crushed under the car along with the bike... Nice find LT.
    I like things that make us think a little. I can see how a new rider might just sit there not believing what was about to happen. Personally, 99% of the time, I'm in gear with the clutch pulled, having already tried to place myself in the lane with an escape route. I would like to think (since I've seen so many seemingly blind clueless drivers over the years) that I could have executed the escape in time. It would have been close though. You'd have to lean the bike, crank the wheel and wheelie out of the way. It could be a little sketchy either way. I'd rather fall over in the street trying to get away than have the guy run over my bike though.
    SanDue, kj7687 and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

In this situation the escape route, to the right, could have been disastrous to the rider if a car was coming to the side of him to make a right turn... Ugggggg.
    Although here in Californicate we can lane split I opt not to. I do position myself back about a car length and so the driver in the car in front of me can see me in his drivers side rear view mirror. My TW is the fastest Mc I have..... I feel that lane split at intersections is problematic because I can not beat most cars out of the hole....and have no desire to. I have a dual sport scooter like the Zuma but has a 150cc motor.

Jim
    littletommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HKLBRY View Post
    Looks like it happened so fast, that it would have been hard to react any different than how he reacted. Defintely something to keep in mind when riding in traffic.
    I'm with you on this one it happened so fast that the only option he had was to sacrifice his bike with a big "WTF"
    littletommy likes this.
    If I’m ever on LIFE SUPPORT, UNPLUG ME. Then plug me back in... See if that works. Hidden Content

TW 2006 Ruth
    TW 1988 Black Widow.
    1994 Harley FXR

Rick

In my mind there is absolutely no question at all that he could have seen what was happening, reacted, and moved out of the way in time. That being said, I absolutely don't blame him for not doing all that fast enough, considering how unexpected it probably was, and yes, how fast it all happened. I mean the big issue here is that it would be easy to at first assume (logically) that the car driver knew you were there and was just backing up a little to get out of the meat of the interesection, and that they would stop when they got close. So if the rider initially went by THAT assumption, then at that point there would indeed have been no way to get the bike out of the way in time (by the time he came to the conclusion that the car wasn't going to stop...). Honestly I applaud the guy for having the presence of mind to avoid getting run over himself.

This kind of thing is exactly why I ALWAYS assume the WORST. Assume that guy creeping out of the driveway WILL suddenly pull out when you get close. Assume that guy coming up behind you will NOT stop. The truck merging into your lane does NOT see you, etc. etc.
    littletommy, GTG and Hidebound like this.
    KJ, just KJ, ok.

Current rides:
    2004 GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 Toyota 4Runner

Past rides: 2015 Yamaha XT 250, 1997 Suzuki DR 200, 2007 Honda Ruckus, 2007 Yamaha TW 200, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 500, 2009 Kawasaki KLX331S; 1994 GMC Sierra 1500, 1987 Nissan Pathfinder, 1992 Acura Integra, 1986 Honda CRX, 1989 Jeep Cherokee, 1994 Chevrolet Astro Van, 1979 Volkswagen Rabbit, 1984 Jeep Cherokee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links