A Sad Reminder...watch for those left turns
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: A Sad Reminder...watch for those left turns

A Sad Reminder...watch for those left turns

Young man from nearby died over the weekend....sad story and a suspect excuse by the women driving...but another reminder for us to watch for Idiots making Left Turns

Coldwater man killed in motorcycle accident | The Daily Standard Archive
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Been lots of motorcycle accidents this year around here too. Some are the motorcyclists own fault (drunk driving, driving too fast etc), others, not so much:

Motorcyclists killed. Car stopped at sign & then pulled out in front of motorcycle rider. Lots lost on all sides. Police looking for witness in fatal motorcycle crash

Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Sad indeed. You have to ride like you're invisible and even then, if this lady wasn't using her turn signal, you can still get boofed.

My prayers to the wife and their young child.
    Hoot Gibson, SanDue and Peterb like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

What's worse is that when they catch the car drivers who cause this sort of thing, they get a slap on the wrist.
    Hoot Gibson and goldenhtr like this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    What's worse is that when they catch the car drivers who cause this sort of thing, they get a slap on the wrist.
    Thats because dead motorcyclist tell no tales. Unless someone steps forward the drivers are often let off the hook.
    Hoot Gibson and kj7687 like this.

or if you live in a silly country where you drive on the wrong side of the road, look for people turning right.

Oh Boy! Mother has great courage to share her son's accident.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

the clip seems to be from a news program of some sort. it's surprising they would show a video of a guy dying.

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Okay, send all the flame my way.....but the motorcycle rider in that video is riding far too fast, for road and traffic conditions. He passed a car on the right (yes, I know that is the correct side to pass on, in that country), but he passed in the same lane...not in a separate lane. His speedo shows he is flying down that road. Yes, the car that turned right in front of him was in error, BUT......a minimum of 50 % of the blame for that accident has to go to the rider, because of his speed. If he had been doing the speed limit, or a little more than the speed limit, then that car that turned right, would have been thru its' turn before he got there. The car was already in the act of turning, when his bike came zooming up, and closed the space that the car driver would have had to make the turn safely.

Do NOT get me wrong on this...I ride far faster than I should. I do not ride the speed limit. But I do not pass a car that is in my lane, unless I have been behind it for miles and miles, and determine that the car in front of me is doing well UNDER the speed limit, so then I will pass it...in the same lane....but not continue at super speed, when there is opposing traffic.

I have spent several years doing accident investigation for atty. Russ Brown, out of So. Cal. I have had to do accident reconstruction many times.

I am 100 % adamant that the bike rider in this case was riding far too fast, and.....HE caused the accident.
    Can't say your wrong as I've known several riders that have died going too fast and over their heads.
    TWilight likes this.

That's the way it is in a lot of motorcycle accidents, too. People who ride like to badmouth "soccer moms in SUVs" (and I do it too), but I see lots of people around here who are pretty clueless about how to ride safely. What really gets me is when I see guys on bikes riding aggressively, following too closely, hurrying to fill any possible hole, riding in drivers' blind spot, cutting people off etc. just like they probably do in their cage. They might get away with it in their F150, but all too often they don't get away with it on their new Road King.
    '87 TW200
    '94 Sportster 1200
    '74 XL70 Frankenbike
    '76 CT90
    '72 CT70
    '72 XL250

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links