Burning Man 2015
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Burning Man 2015

Burning Man 2015

Well it's that time of year again when seventy-something thousand atypical people descend on the Black Rock Dessert's dry lakebed to create Nevada's third largest city for a week. So trickling through town are the oddest artistic public art "things" imaginable. Like this Art Car I saw on way into town today.

This is a rabbit car with rows of bench seating on a deck on top between the ears. While not the best, not the most unique it was in my face so I photographed it. I liked the heart shaped windows and the way legs hide the tires. I should try to buy this after the Burning Man festival, convert it to 4x4 and bring to Moab!
    Last edited by Fred; 08-29-2015 at 09:21 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

There are thousands and thousands of "things " from simple art cars like this to the incredibly dramatic. Simple converted bicycles are almost de-reguire, cover them with L.E.D.s, colored streamers, glow-in-the-dark paint, windmills, jack 'em up ten feet in the air, whatever...and ride around viewing all the other crazies at night for a week. Afterwards incredibly dust caked "Burners" straggle back to resume normal lives covered in a grey-white dust. This all occurs outdoors on a heat-baked dry alkaline lakebed in the elements, like today gusts here were up to 55 mph. Imagine it was a bit dusty on the Black Rock Playa.
    BillPacific and SanDue like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Hopefully most burners will be out on the playa and not in town when you roll through Mike. If not just consider it another of life's experiences. You're in no rush, right? Gives you something to gossip and joke about at the elegant post-rally dinner.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Things do get a little crazy. th-2.jpeg.burning-man-10.jpgburning-man-lessthan3-e1440000982856.jpgBurning-Man-Bugs2-665x385.jpgburning-man-bugs-600x359.jpg
    Normally the Black Rock Desert is a flat deserted lakebed where when dry one can drive like it is the Bonnieville Salt Flats, I've cruised at 95 from one hot spring to another hot spring. When wet it becomes a horrible vehicle trap....a dry crust developed which inspires confidence until your tires break through into the bottomless pudding underneath. I know two folks who have had to leave trucks mired for months until things dry enough for extraction.
    Another notable event is seriously powerful amatuer rocketry events since falling rockets can be relatively located and retrieved from the billiard flat 20 by 40 mile playa.
    SanDue likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    FRED...Read MY post again........."I" am NOT riding through Gerlach. All the other riders will most likely ride thru Gerlach, but......I know what time of day it is, and will avoid the 70,000 dope smoking great grandchildren of the 1969 hippies.

I plan "my" routes very carefully. No way that "I" would get caught up in that cess pool.
    Be as bad as a group of TW Riders going through Sturgis during the middle of Bike Week
    TWilight, SanDue, Mel and 4 others like this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

When I was stationed at SIAD, I used to hang out in the Black Rock and Smoke Creek quite frequently. This was long before the Burning Man. My most amazing/terrifying moment was driving across the playa in my truck doing at least 90 when all the sudden I was overtaken by a B-52 less than 100 feet off the deck! Scared the living crap out if me!!! I'm sure the pilots had a good laugh... #$&% zoomies
    Fred, Hoot Gibson, admiral and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    Be as bad as a group of TW Riders going through Sturgis during the middle of Bike Week
    That would be quite fun, probably...

Next year?

I understand they are having a bug problem there?

Senior Member Smitty Blackstone's Avatar
    Don't take the yellow acid. It's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    FRED...Read MY post again........."I" am NOT riding through Gerlach. All the other riders will most likely ride thru Gerlach, but......I know what time of day it is, and will avoid the 70,000 dope smoking great grandchildren of the 1969 hippies.

I plan "my" routes very carefully. No way that "I" would get caught up in that cess pool.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

During the Cincinnati Reds at Chicago Cubs yesterday they spent a couple of different sessions talking about "The Burning Man" and just what the Hell it was about....the talks leading to the fact that Reds First Baseman, as Hot as he has been in the 2nd half of the Season was the "Reds Burning Man"...can't find the photo they were showing, but you had to be watching I guess:

Cincinnati Reds Baseball Clubhouse - ESPN
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links