Listen to your body talk boys & girls
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Listen to your body talk boys & girls

Listen to your body talk boys & girls

I'm laying in the cardiac section of the hospital in Traverse City. I had minor chest pains for a couple of weeks but they got strong enough last Saturday that I figured it was time to get checked. It turned out that I had a 99% blocked artery on my heart but hadn't had a heart attack yet. Got lucky on that one. Had a heart catheter and a stent put in so I guess I'm good to go for a while longer. Pay attention to your body, people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirebiter View Post
    I'm laying in the cardiac section of the hospital in Traverse City. I had minor chest pains for a couple of weeks but they got strong enough last Saturday that I figured it was time to get checked. It turned out that I had a 99% blocked artery on my heart but hadn't had a heart attack yet. Got lucky on that one. Had a heart catheter and a stent put in so I guess I'm good to go for a while longer. Pay attention to your body, people.

Last spring I started experiencing some weird heartbeats and a little dizziness, I finally went to the doctor. Apparently after many years of drinking nearly a pot of coffee in the morning followed by (usually) 2 each 1-liter bottles of Diet Pepsi in the afternoon, we decided that wasn't a good idea anymore! Cut back and now back to normal, well as normal as I can be!

So, do what Tirebiter has mentioned, "Pay attention to your body, people".
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Glad you caught it in time Tirebiter .....
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Wow brother George!! Glad you are ok bro!! Hope you are up and running 100% soon, please keep us posted.

I've already had a heart attack and a small stroke, you are lucky brother. It took a lot out of me. I could hardly walk down the alley with the dog after mine. It took about 2 years to finally feel better, but it will never be the same as it was before. God bless you brother George!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

George -

Here's to a speedy recovered. I agree with you 100%.

Similar thing happened to me a few years back but without the pain. I woke up in the middle of a winter night sweating, minor ache in my neck and feeling odd. Never any history of heart issues and I did not expect that at all. After about an hour checking the Internet for symptoms I drove myself to the ER.

BP was pushing 200. Major blockage in the main artery. Same as you - a catheter and stent. Home 36 hours later and felt increasingly better over the next 6 weeks. Was walking 5 miles a day within 10 days out of the hospital. The worst part of the ordeal was the recovery room nurse applying constant pressure to the incision in my groin to stop the bleeding. I think she enjoyed watching me wince in pain.

Since then I've returned to the ER four more times and in each case felt something was amiss and drove myself: Kidney failure, heart valve replacement, double bypass, internal hemorrhage. I'm by no means a hypochondriac. Prior to my first heart event I had not been in a hospital since I had an appendectomy at 12.

Anticipating health issues likely saved me from serious permanent damage. I really did not have any bad habits; quit smoking 40 years ago, only drink an occasional beer or wine since, did not eat a lot of red meat or fried foods. Sometimes it is just genetic, but then again my mom just celebrated her 90th birthday and lives in her own home unassisted.

Take care and get back on you feet asap. This was just a wake-up call, not a life sentence. I did not choose the hospital recommended physical therapy, but did my own; walking, bike riding, kayaking. My TW came later and I'm getting a little soft.
    Last edited by M C Toyer; 09-01-2015 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    George, thankfully YOU listened to your body, and got in there before something worse happened.

PLEASE....take care of that OLD body, and keep riding...that will keep you young.

If anyone in Moab had a problem next March, I will bring along several feet of clear fuel line, and we can install a stent, while laying on one of the picnic tables. Should be able to ride the next day.

And I think a few of us will have a gun in case the picnic table treatment doesn't work and you come up lame!

littletommy, Mel, TWilight and 1 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Good Call George. Glad to hear you are doing well.

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    Good Call George. Glad to hear you are doing well.
    +1!!!
    Tirebiter likes this.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. I was reluctant to bring this back up to the top because I'm a bit of a recluse and don't thrive on attention but I do appreciate your concerns. I'm back at the bunker and managing very well within some limits for a while. Most of the restrictions are to prevent bleeding from the procedure site since I'm on blood thinners. A person can bleed out pretty quick through a femoral artery.

Toyer, I agree with the 15 minutes of groin pressure thing but the worst for me was lying flat on my back without being able to move anything but my arms for 12 hours following the procedure. I have osteoarthritis in my back and am still recovering from that part. But otherwise feel so much better already and am looking forward to quite a few more active years.

They said a heart attack was inevitable and I'm far enough out in the woods that I probably wouldn't have made it to medical help without dying, or at the minimum, extensive damage to my heart. Living alone has it's drawbacks. When I can drive and get around, I'm going into town to see if I can set up some sort of address that puts me in the system so if I need 911 service in the future they can find me.

Anyway, enough about me but again, thanks to you all for your support and thanks to God for the mortality reminder.

Praying for you brother George. We love you around here, hang in there!!
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links