What Is The Most Unusual Thing You Have Done On A Motorcycle?
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: What Is The Most Unusual Thing You Have Done On A Motorcycle?

What Is The Most Unusual Thing You Have Done On A Motorcycle?

Halloween costume? Intoxicated? Endurance Run? Riding with a broken bike or body? Hauling something large and odd? Let's hear dem stories!

For me it must be motorcycling fairly deep underground. I used to use my enduro bike to run mineral sampling programs and a little light industrial espionage by sneaking into other mining operations. Once I rolled my 2-smoker KDX to the bottom of a long spiraling ~10% decline until the end maybe 1,300 below the surface using only a helmet mounted headlamp to avoid fouling the air in the mine shaft. Uniformly spiraling decline was maybe 15 ft diameter with a flat floor with absolutely no illumination, ventilation or anything, just a 2 mile plus long wormhole. And of course nobody for miles around, middle of no-where.
    I was so relieved when my KDX kicked over into life as it would have been a bitch to push back up to the surface. With a loud reverberating "Vroom" I back-filled that shaft with blue smoke as I cautiously, yet joyfully motored my way back to the surface, sunlight and fresh air. It was a unique invigorating experience.

Recently I have riden through the abandoned snow-sheds that sheltered Southern Pacific train tracks from snow avalanches in the Donnor Pass area but that was tame by comparison with side tunnels day-lighting every couple hundred yards.th-53.jpegth-51.jpegth-50.jpeg
    Railroad abandoned these sheds as double high flatcars are now the norm; so Souther Pacific bored new taller tunnels to accommodate modern freight trains leaving these historical artifacts for the graffiti crowd and adventurous nut-cases like myself.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-08-2015 at 05:03 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

winters in Sudbury, MA, summer on Squam Lake, NH
    A friend gave me a propeller beanie and few years back and I thought it would be fun to get on my BMW g/s and she how well I could get that prop spinning. Not much luck at normal riding position, but if I tipped my head down she would really turn, but then I couldn't see where I was going with my head down...and with tears coming out my eyes from hysterics.

Will
    littletommy, Fred, dette and 7 others like this.
    I sell TW200 stickers for $2.00ea. delivered. See Hidden Content for details. Hidden Content

2014 TW, DMO pegs, Yamaha rack, Doubletake mirrors, Jimbo shield, extended pilot screw, Snapback clock, Ebay risers, Seat Concepts, o-ring chain, Ricochet skidplate, brake leash, IMS folding shift lever, ProCycle tool tube, 130 main jet and two shims, route sheet holder, compass, temp/humidity
    indicator.

Had my 1973 TX 500 yammie on a loooooooong distance ride.. We rode 600 miles with very little down time, turned around the next day and rode all the way back home.. The unusual part about the trip is I unfolded my sleeping bag out on my seat so I could get some "BUTT" relief.. It worked.. OMM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

You mean besides jumping cars,crashing through firewalls,standing on the seat wheelies? No? Ok...Nothing much.

I have a few...
    Injured, When i was a teenager i rode home ~40 miles of dirt with a broken scapula and dislocated left shoulder that I messed up in a nasty crash. That was not fun at all.

Carrying stuff.
    Carried a car battery on the back of my Honda V65 Sabre. Also carried a 19" CRT computer monitor on the same bike once when i did computer field service.

I have made quite a few trips to BJ's warehouse store on both my Ducati and TW as well. Top boxes and bags full and stuff strapped down with Roc straps and web bungees. The looks on people's faces when i strap down a giant thing of paper towels to the TW is priceless. I go in with my helmet in the cart too, It's quite funny to see peoples reactions. I own a full sized truck that would work much better for this activity but where is the fun in that?

Broken bikes, well there are quite a few of those too.
    One that comes to mind quickly is riding home from a long trip with the bike stuck in 5th gear(shifter fell off) on my V65 Sabre. Had to get off and push so i could make it go again at the toll booths and any stop lights. Toll booths and stops went like this. Shut bike off, pay toll, get off bike, pull in clutch, start bike, push it to get it rolling, feather the shit out of the clutch to get it to go while getting on the bike.

Also got to ride the same bike home from Boston with no clutch lever after some jackhole pushed a bunch of bikes over in a bike parking lot like dominoes. On mine it busted the whole perch off the bars, had to tie that on with a bungee. The ride home was a similar deal to the lost shifter. Get off, push it to get it rolling, hop on, pop it in gear and ride, thankfully i could find neutral on that bike sans clutch, otherwise i was doomed.

My old Yamaha MX100 that i had when i was 13 had a penchant for things falling off it when riding. Rode that thing home in a state of broken more times than i could count, one of the worst being when the foot pegs fell off after a jump. The were a one piece deal attached to the bottom of the frame with 4 m8 bolts so i lost them both at the same time when the bolts gave out. Such a dumb design that was ultimately remedied with a welder.

I have never done intoxicated on bike or car or boat. I save that for when im at home.
    Last edited by jb882; 09-09-2015 at 07:57 AM.
    admiral, Fred, one4fishing and 3 others like this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Just out of high school I had an old Suzuki GS. Every time my girlfriend and I would go swimming she insisted on wearing her bikini for the ride. She still has a scar on her calf from the hot exhaust.

Good girlfriend, lucky one4fishing. Still have the girlfriend?
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by one4fishing View Post
    Just out of high school I had an old Suzuki GS. Every time my girlfriend and I would go swimming she insisted on wearing her bikini for the ride. She still has a scar on her calf from the hot exhaust.
    Kind of the same story. Had a girlfriend that wore shorts when we rode and could not understand why I wore pants. She found out when we leaned into a hard corner and the inside line had small tree branches sticking into the road.

Friends and I where corner carving one day when I decided to be Kenny Roberts. That when I found out that dragging your knee with nothing but a pair of blue jeans on kinda hurts.

OP FTW! Sounds like some awesome riding, Fred!

Nothing too terribly out of the ordinary. I did do quite a bit of camping via motorcycle with no gear to speak of, in my younger days. My GF at the time and myself would just head out on my XS650, camp at whatever likely spot we could find when the time was right, and continue in whatever direction seemed best in the morning.

I have hauled some fairly big loads on motorcycles, including plopping a 50 lb bag of animal feed on the seat and sitting on it.
    '87 TW200
    '94 Sportster 1200
    '74 XL70 Frankenbike
    '76 CT90
    '72 CT70
    '72 XL250

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links