Like Tree29Likes
  • 7 Post By plumbstraight
  • 3 Post By GaryL
  • 12 Post By admiral
  • 3 Post By Mel
  • 1 Post By littletommy

Thread: TW are rare

TW are rare

Here I am in North Dakota near the South Dakota border. I went to SD to the small town of McGlothlen. They have a small atv shop there and I needed some sparkplugs and a plug wire head that would hold onto the plug as the one on my 1500 kawasaki kept coming off. Nice that it has 4 plugs for a two cylinder.

Got to talking about the TW and the owner said he has had a lot of interest in them but can't get any. Seems they are hard to find here. Had a lot of comments about mine as I ride it to work each day. Is a ten mile one way on gravel. That shinko my friends is about as squirrley as I want to be. I try to stay in the worn parts of the road and stay out of the marbles. Still, it is nice to have the fresh breeze to and from work.

Quote Originally Posted by plumbstraight View Post
    Here I am in North Dakota near the South Dakota border. I went to SD to the small town of McGlothlen. They have a small atv shop there and I needed some sparkplugs and a plug wire head that would hold onto the plug as the one on my 1500 kawasaki kept coming off. Nice that it has 4 plugs for a two cylinder.

Got to talking about the TW and the owner said he has had a lot of interest in them but can't get any. Seems they are hard to find here. Had a lot of comments about mine as I ride it to work each day. Is a ten mile one way on gravel. That shinko my friends is about as squirrley as I want to be. I try to stay in the worn parts of the road and stay out of the marbles. Still, it is nice to have the fresh breeze to and from work.
    Which Shinko are we talking about plumb?

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Hi Plumb! How much air are you running in the tire? I'm sure if you lowered it way down it would handle better.

I hate that riding on marbles feeling....
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ya Know, Feeling like you are riding on marbles is way better than falling when you are on marbles. I have had lots of miles on the stock tire that wants to toss me to the ground off road but it is fine on pavement. The Shinko does feel a bit squirmy on the pavement and in some off road conditions but it stays true on track and keeps the rubber side down when I get off the roads. Tires and particularly the front one are a very personal choice and what feels good verses what performs well in the riding you do is something you have to figure out for yourself. I will be scrapping the stock front tire soon and replacing it with a Golden Boy 5.10. I will deal with some squirm on pavement just to keep the TW upright off the road. My bet is that as the Shinko wears down a bit it will feel much better on the road after it looses some of the deep but very soft lugs that give me the confidence in the dirt. Just because some member loves a particular tire is not a good reason to go with that one. You must find one that you like.

GaryL
    littletommy, Mel and mhomadness like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Just because some member loves a particular tire is not a good reason to go with that one. You must find one that you like.

GaryL

This is the best advice of all. A person will not know for themselves if they don't experiment.

I think all we can do is present the options with some of our experience with a particular tire, but in the end, the rider must decide what works for them. And they shouldn't go blaming someone else for bad advice because we each "feel" something different.

Example, TWilight dislikes the Shinko 244 5.10. I happen to like it. I'm sure each of us feels something different due to our riding styles. Earlier this summer I replaced by 244 5.10 with a 244 4.60. For me, the front end does feel lighter with the 4.60 (others have mentioned this), but it also doesn't feel as stable on gravel or sand as much as the 5.10 did...for me. I've never felt uncomfortable with either 5.10 or 4.60 on the pavement, but others do report this. Again different opinions.

Few weeks ago I switched back to the stock tire. So many of us (including me) have said we hate it and it sucks. It had been a long time, so I decided to re-visit the issue. My impressions now are it's fine off road. Matter of fact, it does better in the sand than either Golden Boy. On the pavement, it's just fine too except...I rode on some grooved cement road surface. I was wobbling all over the place and felt very uncomfortable. Normal asphalt or concrete surface is just fine.

The main reason I have an improved view of the stock tire, I'm a better rider than I was years ago. Blaming the tire is not always the right answer. This is why we must individually try a tire to see if we like it.

Guidance is good, but we must decide for ourselves.
    Mel, GaryL, littletommy and 9 others like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Good to hear from you Randall, take it easy on those marbles. Can't imagine what tire works very well in those situations.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Mel
    It could not be put any better than the Admiral has put it. We all look for something a little different depending upon our individual riding differences. I changed the front tires on my two TW's from the originals to the Shinko 244's in the 4.60's and really can't tell much difference in my style of riding.
    Mel
    TWilight, Ron and admiral like this.

Ron
    Are the stock tires noisy on blacktop when they are new, or do they get noisier as they age? My 06 TW has the original tires, and the front one is noisy enough on black top to become annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Are the stock tires noisy on blacktop when they are new, or do they get noisier as they age? My 06 TW has the original tires, and the front one is noisy enough on black top to become annoying.
    They do get noisier as they age and harden.
    TWilight likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Sponosred Links