Does the cream always rise to the top?
Close

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Gerry

Thread: Does the cream always rise to the top?

Does the cream always rise to the top?

Have developed a real fascination with the internet. Imagine, so much great information at your finger-tips. I am far short of an expert when comes to putting in place a good search. As an aside, I would like to compare searching for information on the internet and exploring logging roads on a bicycle, as I have done both. What caught me a bit by surprise when pedaling though the mountains was, dead-end road can look well traveled and promising. It took me a while, but I developed a theory. Dead-end roads get twice the wear they deserve. That is to say, as they go no-where, you have to back track making the road look well travel, implying it may be the through road you are looking for. On a bicycle, this can add a significant number of 'unproductive' miles to an adventure.

Now, bringing the internet into the picture. Often on forums you find comments regarding duplicate posts. When I have spent a lot of time sourcing a treasured bit of information I come upon pages and pages of options. Now I kind of realize that the more precise you can be in wording your search, the better your chances of finding what you want. Guess what I am asking is, for example; should it exists, how easy would it now be to find the "best motorcycle oil". In general, are we likely burying really valuable information under a bunch of junk. Like the dead-end road, 'worthless' information still can get a hit during a search. Gerry
    Last edited by Gerry; 09-25-2015 at 08:02 AM.
    brushhippie and TWilight like this.
    Take care my Friend.........

I find most user forum search engines to be terrible at what they are supposed to do. Usually instead of using the forum's search feature, I open up a browser tab in Google and google my search. For oil, maybe something like this;

tw200forum best oil

Then what pops up is a list of links with a few words pulled from the link's text that might give a clue of what I am going to see if I click the link. In my example, tw200forum best oil, this is the first listing in google;

Re: THE BEST.......... - Yamaha TW200 Forum
    tw200forum.com › ... › TW200 Forums › TW200 General D...
    Jul 11, 2010 - 10 posts
    As an oiler by trade I've been on this quest to find the best oil for Tdub. Fortunately there is a lot of good oil out there. That little oil window ...

oil weight - Yamaha TW200 Trailway Discussion Forum 25 posts May 2, 2010
    Re: Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil - Yamaha TW200 Trailway ...14 posts Mar 6, 2010
    TW Oil Change - Yamaha TW200 Trailway ...25 posts Aug 9, 2008
    Genuine Yamaha Oil Filter - Yamaha TW200 Trailway ...10 posts Aug 18, 2007
    More results from tw200forum.com

There are now several links to view; the first that comes up, then several there in succession that I can click on.

Anyways, I find in most cases to be more useful than the search feature that comes with most forums.

Appreciate the feed back Ski Pro3. My ramblings are not intended to be forum specific (any forum). My question is, do junk posts (internet wide) end up burying really good valuable information? Gerry
    Take care my Friend.........

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Appreciate the feed back Ski Pro3. My ramblings are not intended to be forum specific (any forum). My question is, do junk posts (internet wide) end up burying really good valuable information? Gerry
    Yes. So do paid sponsors who get their product and information moved to the top of our favorite search engines.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    My question is, do junk posts (internet wide) end up burying really good valuable information? Gerry
    I don't think so and here's why;
    While Tom does make a valid point about rankings being adjusted by sponsors paying for position, the issue isn't with vendors or sponsors, it's with private individuals and the value of their post contents. It is my contention that posts that have value receive more hits than posts that don't. Over a period of time, these posts rise in rank and are typically found near the top of the search engine searches. (Along with paid sponsors in the rankings of course)
    Searching individual forums doesn't use a 'most hits' filter to rank like a browser search engine. That is the reason I use Google to search for things specific to a thread on a forum when I'm looking for stuff.

Using a good search engine and refinement of the search criteria, it's pretty easy to find those posts that target possible answers to your questions.

Not sure this even answers your question, but I hope it helps in some way.
    Last edited by Ski Pro 3; 09-25-2015 at 12:00 PM.
    The bear slayer!

Quote Originally Posted by Ski Pro 3 View Post
    It is my contention that posts that have value receive more hits than posts that don't. Over a period of time, these posts rise in rank and are typically found near the top of the search engine searches.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PageRank

I suspect that your suspicions are correct. Too bad the internet forum searches don't use such algorithms.

Sponosred Links