Close

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Fred
  • 2 Post By Dryden-Tdub
  • 2 Post By Azxj91
  • 2 Post By Borneo

Thread: Any Soaring Fans Here?

Any Soaring Fans Here?

Any Glider Pilots here? I recently finished a project for a local aircraft mechanic who says much of his client base is the local soaring community and recommended this PBS special which I just watched. Any one else see it? I am sorely tempted to take mechanic's offer to introduce me to some of these guys and gals who elevate flying to an art form..CloudStreet: Soaring the American West Teaser on Vimeo
    Dryden-Tdub and TopPredator like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Any Glider Pilots here? I recently finished a project for a local aircraft mechanic who says much of his client base is the local soaring community and recommended this PBS special which I just watched. Any one else see it? I am sorely tempted to take mechanic's offer to introduce me to some of these guys and gals who elevate flying to an art form..CloudStreet: Soaring the American West Teaser on Vimeo

I am a huge fan of the gliders Fred. I grew up on the east edge of Harris hill and often camped "stealthily" on the museum grounds I have been up in the gliders as a passenger 4 times in my life. Awesome sailing at 2000 feet where the only noise you hear is the wind over the wings.

National Soaring Museum | Soaring Museum Gliding History Things-To-Do

Tom
    Fred and TopPredator like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

I am a general aviation pilot, but have never done any true "soaring" . A few years ago my wife bought me a gift certificate from an online "adventure" company for a glider ride. I did it in Payson, Az. The guy there had a "motoglider". Basically a two seat conventional glider plane but with an engine. No need for a tow. Just start it up, take off and climb to altitude, then shut off the engine! Then it was just a glider.. Flew around searching for thermals, no sound but the wind. It was incredible! Very peaceful and beautiful scenery. When couldn't find enough thermals, just start up and climb a couple thousand feet and start again. It's an awesome experience, I recommend to anyone that is interested in flying.
    Fred and TopPredator like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Neat experience!
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

When I was a boy at the lake a neighbor had a glider. He had been a fighter pilot in the Korean War. My father was also a Korean War veteran. He offered to take me up and Pop gave the approval...mom didn't. (He would take a dis-unifiying hit like that occasionally for his boys) It was really quite fantastic. I remember the details dimly.... We got towed by another plane and then the tow cord released. We soared in what seemed almost absolute silence. I learned a lot about heat radiating from the ground that day, thermals that provided lift. We searched for them and worked them for what seemed like hours, plowed fields, asphalt parking lots, things like that. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Years later I jumped off a mountain with a paraglider and loved it. (except for crash landing every single damb time) I've also piloted a powered paraglider, which I greatly enjoyed and even toyed with buying one at one point.
    Dryden-Tdub and littletommy like this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Sponosred Links