two options?
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: two options?

two options?

I've always been of the opinion that if you're buying a gasoline powered pickup, the you're wasting your money. So if you're in the market for a pickup, that narrows it down to three options. And while the Duramax and Ford diesels look good enough and technically have nothing wrong with them, once you take them out of the vacuum that is the on paper spec sheet, you realize that the Cummins engine is just better. Which leaves you with just one option remaining.

Now Toyota has been fiddling with the idea of a diesel truck for a few years, and with outsourcing the engine for that truck to an Indiana based engine manufacturer. After a few years of will they or won't they- turns out they won't. But it turns out someone will...

Long story short- Datsun picked up the ball where Toyota dropped it and ran with it. So now this question remains for the prospective pickup purchaser- a 385hp/865torques 6.7L I6 or a 310hp/555torques 5.0L V8?

The New 2016 Nissan Titan | Nissan USA

Dodge
    DonBenito likes this.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

Whats wrong with gas trucks lol, Ive had gas Ford and they are great. Current truck F150 5.4 100.000 miles and runs great Yah diesels great but not everyone needs that torq. Ive had plenty of S10's and Rangers also and they are great for work trucks imo... Just depends on what you need the truck for and want to do with it. My F150 pulls my boat/trailers without a sweat. The F150 is 1 of the best selling trucks in the US also. I was a chevy truck guy when I was younger. But Ford makes a good truck imo.
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I need it to tote my truck camper, so I'd stick with the Dodge.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Gulfrider View Post
    Yah diesels great but not everyone needs that torque.
    Not that there's anything wrong with them, or that I have a problem with them- but that is my point. Not everyone needs a truck, so why get one? It seems to me that if you buy a quarter ton truck you're really just buying a big car with a large trunk that gets terrible fuel mileage. The way I see it, if you're already determined to get low fuel mileage, but need something to occasionally tow things that has the same towing capacities and not-good-for-towing suspension as a quarter ton truck, why not get an Expedition or Tahoe or Grand Caravan or Range Rover or something? At east then you can put things in the trunk without worrying about someone taking it, or constantly using the bed as a trash can.

Now I realize there's no argument against preference, and if you want it, you'll get it; but the vast majority of the characters out there with trucks never actually use them as trucks. It seems to me to be the same argument as the type of people that insist that you need to get a 1000cc motorcycle. Maybe you should start out on a lowly 600cc if you think you can't handle it, but you'll soon tire of such a weak bike and then can graduate to a real man's bike. Seems silly to me, but it doesn't really matter one way or the other at the end of the day what other people have.

All over the world people use diesel engines in cars and trucks. I do not understand why in north america we cannot get small vehicles especially trucks with diesel engines
    I suspect it is a trade issue of some sort

I suspect it is a price issue. gas is more expensive than diesel in alot of places. But diesels are becoming more prevalent in cars here too. It's only a matter of time, I suspect, before they start selling the diesel everything in America too. you can get an Italian made VM Motori v6 diesel in the 1500 Ram and Grand Cherokee now.

Quote Originally Posted by Polarpilot View Post
    All over the world people use diesel engines in cars and trucks. I do not understand why in north america we cannot get small vehicles especially trucks with diesel engines
    I suspect it is a trade issue of some sort
    Its the EPA, look what VW is going through.

IMO FEW people need a diesel truck. The VAST majority of the diesel trucks I see on the road are empty and/or not pulling anything. They cost more up front, cost more to maintain and the extra fuel price washes out any savings in mileage.

I dont see how a home owner gets away without having a truck. I do use mine to haul stuff, stuff that I wouldnt put n the back of an SUV. But dislike ALL modern trucks, Ill stick with my 1973 F100
    Hidden Content

2009 TW200 "Cracker" - His fun ADV bike
    2006 TW200 "Blue" - Her fun ADV bike
    2011 XL1200X "48" - My cool bike
    1977 KZ650 - My vintage sport bike

I had a 76 F100 with a 390 was a great... truck. My wife has a Toyota Rav 4 , we've had 4 so far and they are great. Good mpg, can have 4 people comfortably and with the 4 cyl it will pull/haul small loads easy. I wouldn't haul my boat with it, but a small trailer with a small bike would be fine. Any vehicle will last along time if you take care of it. My dads friend has a chevy truck with a 454 and 300,000 miles on it. He changes his oil and normal maint.
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

Still plenty of rangers/S10's out their and they are a small truck with 4cyl's. GMC makes the Colorado also think a 5cyl ? Those with a topper make a great small work truck.
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links