The Edmund Fitzgerald - Forty Years Later
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: The Edmund Fitzgerald - Forty Years Later

The Edmund Fitzgerald - Forty Years Later

This has haunted me, for forty years. A neighbor of ours went down on that ship.

Later, I was annoyed of the blithe triviality that the Gordon Lighfoot dirge offered.

But here we are...forty years later.

I grew up on one area where several Fitzgerald sailors came from. Later I lived in Fairport Harbor, Ohio; another home to more of them.

Later, I lived in Superior, Wisconsin - where the ugly drama acted out.

i was outside the museum in duluth once, but it was closed. sad history, hard working men lost due to greed, arrogance and misjudgment of others.
    1994 TW226- 6spd. 10w-40 synthetic, XTHidden Content , XT225 stainless header, +2" Joemama swingarm, lizrd cooler, +20% fork springs, +25% rear spring, 2001 speedo w/ trip odo, pro taper atv bars, bark busters, shinko 241 front tire, front fender w/ mr bracket bracket, Hidden Content , o-ring chain, ricochet skid plate, Hidden Content , XT225 rear brake cam lever, folding-tip shifter, cycle rack, kolpin 1.5 aux tank & 1450 pelican case. Hidden Content or Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by joeband View Post
    i was outside the museum in duluth once, but it was closed. sad history, hard working men lost due to greed, arrogance and misjudgment of others.
    Disagree. It was a series of misjudgments.

Covers not properly placed. Captain on his VERY LAST run...his head was elsewhere. Water leaking in. And then a freak set of waves, sends the bow of the Fitzherald into the mud at the bottom.

Greed? No.
    Last edited by JustPassinThru; 10-22-2015 at 10:50 AM.
    Hoot Gibson and PlacerLode like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

One of the best rides I have ever taken is on the north shore of Lake Superior. Don't miss Split Rock lighthouse either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jeffrolives and PlacerLode like this.

The Wreck of the Ed was big news in Ohio and all of the Great Lakes....and that song kept it in the limelight.....even today, the Edmund Fitz is not forgotten....and I took a look in my Fridge when I saw the thread....some of the Best Porter Beer around is made by Great Lakes Brewing Company out of Cleveland and they named it properly:

Ed Fitz Porter 003.JPG

Good Stuff, think I'll pour one right now
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

We were up in Da-yooper and they have an ore carrier there, "valley camp maybe " ??????????????They had a verrrrry badly twisted up life boat from that horrible night..What power to bent it that much.............. OMM.
    jeffrolives likes this.

Gordon spoke of this during his 2014 tour and said he actually changed the original lyrics due to complaints from family members claiming the song placed blame on the sailors but the facts have since backed up the unsecured hatch cover theory originally referenced in the song. Still one of my favorite songs of all time and I have no idea why this particular wreck strikes my curiosity like no other, Freeking awesome to hear GL sing it live !!!

Love that video of the Edmund Fitzgerald's launch !!!
    Last edited by PlacerLode; 10-26-2015 at 10:44 PM.
    Motoad and jeffrolives like this.
    "It's Like Warm Apple Pie"

Hidden Content

I once read that she scraped bottom aground going over a shallow spot just before the sinking. It is possible she was taking on water before the final disaster.
    With the violence of the storm it might not have been noticed. I used to do inside hull inspections on those big lake carriers sometime going inside the double hulls.
    If the outer hull were breached the void space between hulls could hold a great deal of water that might go un-noticed in the violence of a storm. This could have the vessel sitting lower in the water and more vulnerable to the stresses of huge seas.
    Phelonius

Quote Originally Posted by phelonius View Post
    I once read that she scraped bottom aground going over a shallow spot just before the sinking. It is possible she was taking on water before the final disaster.
    With the violence of the storm it might not have been noticed. I used to do inside hull inspections on those big lake carriers sometime going inside the double hulls.
    If the outer hull were breached the void space between hulls could hold a great deal of water that might go un-noticed in the violence of a storm. This could have the vessel sitting lower in the water and more vulnerable to the stresses of huge seas.
    That's the current thinking - and the most likely. When disasters happen, it's usually not ONE element but a SERIES of missteps. In this case, I seem to remember that either their charts were inaccurate or they had incorrectly reckoned their position and were known to have gone over a known shoal. The Fitz was loaded to the max and the lake surface was heaving. AND, they were taking on water from leaking hatches or vents.

In relative calm, a grounding would have been felt. And - I don't know what the routine is on Great Lakes ore carriers, but in the Navy we used to have various watches do surveys to check for any compromise in the hull. Certainly that is done on ocean ships, especially after an unusual sensation or possible strike. But if the crew were already busy at watches and working pumping operations to keep the hatch-leaks pumped out, they may not have done it or done it thorough enough.

So, now the pumps cannot keep up with the breach. The ship may well have been a goner anyway, but with the heavy swells, nobody yet understands that.

In comes a series of rogue waves; sending the bow under the surface. That's bad but not unknown in storms. What WAS not known was the added weight of the water taken on from the hull breach. The bow goes under and just stays under. Stresses snap the hull at the point where the hull was breaches - perhaps the keel was damaged. The stern twists in the the stress, and the two pieces go down. The bow just noses into the mud; the stern turns turtle and rests upside down.

The storm was a factor. The hatch covers another factor. The loss of radar a third factor and the grounding, what did it. Had they grounded in calm water it would not have been as violent; the hull breach seen right away; and there would have been time to either get the Fitz into shallow water where it could rest on the bottom and be patched or at least to evacuate the crew.
    WECSOG likes this.

It's a shame people are so thin-skinned as to complain about everything, even a tribute song. I'm a big fan of The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, and like PlacerLoad, it's been a fascination of mine as well.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links