QOTD: Did Your Parents Sway You Toward or Away From Motorcycles?
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: QOTD: Did Your Parents Sway You Toward or Away From Motorcycles?

QOTD: Did Your Parents Sway You Toward or Away From Motorcycles?

jtomelliott49 likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Here's a great thread: https://tw200forum.com/forum/off-topi...rted-here.html
    You will love some of the stories and pictures here....mines post #8

*wait till you see TW Brian's pic....
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Far from it LT. My parents made me an owner/rider before I reached double digits. And for that I never cease to thank them.
    dette likes this.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My parents HATED me riding, and later my nephew died on a bike and they were like SEE... Its wasn't the bike he died as a passenger off road. I was hit in 99 and again they said SEE...Wont keep me from riding a bike tho
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

Toward.. My mom & dad rode a 305 honda and I rode a 305 yammie.. After I married they bought a Beemer and my wife and I moved up to a 500 yammie.. In 1976 my wife moved to her own bike.. My dad rode a bike until he was 80.. We started our son at age 10.. He rode until he married and that ended his riding.. Our daughter learned on a tw. Her hubby rides also..
    I guess you could say riding is in the family. OMM.
    Dryden-Tdub and dette like this.

When I was young and had to stand on a tin can to kick a duck in the ass, I raced my dad on the cow paths in the pasture. I was on my Montgomery Ward 4hp powered rigid frame mini-bike. Dad was on his 175 Bridgestone 2 stroke street bike. Few years later just prior to me thinking I already knew everything, I rode up and down the gravel road on the Bridgestone practicing my shifting. The Bridgestone was 5 up and then 5 down for shifting. I had the bug. About 5 years later after joining the military and realizing I did not know everything (or ever would), I bought my first motorcycle, a 1978 Yamaha Red RD400 2 stroke street bike.

My mom never protested any of this.

So yes, they swayed me towards motorcycles.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

My WWII Veteran Dad despised Motorcycles, not the bikes themselves, the carnage on the highways...but growing up in South Florida, even back in the 1950s and 60s, the accident and death rates were pretty bad...so the old man steered my older brother and me away for Motorcycles...he had seen to much death on two wheels....while older brother Mike was never into bikes, I always had an eye for them, especially smaller off road cycles...when dad passed away on Christmas Eve 1972...my obligation to follow his wishes in the Motorcycle Agenda passed as well, and soon after I purchased my first bike, the Kawasaki 250 On/Off Road{Dual Sport of today}...and eventually graduated to larger street bikes until 2 nasty accidents{one my fault and one some old farts fault}, and a growing family made me decide to give up riding in 1988...once the Kids were grown and out of the house, I discovered "Big Dog Adventures" in 2013, and got the itch once again...and the rest is history:

I should add my mom, who will turn 92 next Spring, never has liked the fact that I rode or ride...but she knows the seeds were sown long ago...and although she still complains that I am a crazy 66 year old, she no longer presses the issue.
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 10-23-2015 at 08:01 AM.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

rbm
    I was never allowed to have or ride a motorcycle as a kid. I bought a Yamaha XS400 when I was 17, kept it at a friend's house without my mom knowing(or so I thought...). My 18th birthday present was I was allowed to bring the bike home.

My mother was dead set against it.
    My Father had owned a motorcycle in his 20's so was not.
    When I turned 14, I swayed my dad to let me get a XL125 with my earning.

I bought a PW50 for my son when he was 4 after he had learned to ride a bicycle.
    admiral likes this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

My Mother was not very happy with my hobby. However my Father was a WW2 pilot,horseback rider and skier so she was sort of used to the Ross males behavior. Years later in her late 70's she took her first ride on the back of my Harley. Afterwards she looked at me and said now I understand.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links