What's up with ADVrider?
Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: What's up with ADVrider?

What's up with ADVrider?

I'm there, on-and-off...it's a prickly bunch.

But I had good luck with their Flea Market four years ago. They have a large membership...fine.

So...I put my CB1100 up in the Flea Market. Only had one pic. Three days later, had several more.

Now they have a NO BUMPING FOR FIVE DAYS rule. Fine; adding photos shouldn't count, I wouldn't think. Not if there's only three photos total.

They took the time to combine the two threads and bury the entry. On the weekend. Thanks!

That was Strike 1. I ALSO put some railroad timetables up there...figured there'd be a foamer around who'd want them. Mentioned that the photo I had was incomplete, because I'd taken it for an Ebay entry (which is getting no interest)

I get the thread pulled and a snarky message: SELL HERE OR EBAY. Now, what's up with THAT?

I guess they really don't WANT their membership using or depending on the classified. As well as all the banning - especially when an OT thread veers into politics and it's not the kind of uber-liberal politics that geeks and forum mods LIKE.

I guess I'm gonna have to delete bookmarks...it's a shame. Tools like that can be SO useful; and instead, these schittheads want to play Supercop, be swinging the Ban Hammer...it's a good way to ruin a forum, find yourself a board without a membership.

I stop going on the DR650 ADV when I got the TW, you have about twenty guys that rule the DR650 thread and I have two Bans for posting the link to the DR650 service manual I should go back and get my third strike.

I don't think ADV is likely to run out of membership to soon. I search through there on occasion, but it is just sooo big.
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    Chris Vogel
    Current Rides
    2014 Zuma 50, 2004 TW200, 1992 R100GS, 1987 TW200
    Current Projects
    1982 550 Vision, 1986 XL600R

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Well, when you have power-hungry mods tossing people left and right...and the Flea Market is useless because of imbecilic interpretation of strict rules...why go there? Get abused by uber-liberal Web-riders?

WTF is wrong with cross-posting, Ebay and someone's Flea Market. MOST people don't have Ebay memberships - it's cumbersome and unless you're there all the time, it's not really worth it. But just something to pick up for a few bucks...

I have a box full of old rulebooks and special training aids for a prominent railroad merger back fifteen years ago. A railfan would be REAL interested. Others, not so much. I hate to just toss them; but the average person would think them garbage. But they are part of railroad history.

And the mod staff there, would rather flex their muscles than give a member a chance to pick up some interesting stuff.

Figured Out Long Ago....many, if not most, of those Assclowns the Run and Rule ADV Rider, have never been on a Motorcycle, and are Obama Loving Assclowns....while there are some good ride stories, most of it is bullshit posted by bullshit artists and fockheads.....just my two cents, and yes, Hoot was tossed long ago, but came back under a new ID, and have probably posted 20 times or less in the past 2 years....unless I want to view something I consider worthwhile, I don't go there.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

And you have to be a IT guy to post a photo.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post

I have a box full of old rulebooks and special training aids for a prominent railroad merger back fifteen years ago. A railfan would be REAL interested. Others, not so much. I hate to just toss them; but the average person would think them garbage. But they are part of railroad history.
    I have a friend who would like that stuff.

And yeah, I agree with you about ADV. I rarely even go there anymore. Even the TW200 thread, except for the members from here who post there, is mostly populated with people who don't really like the TW200; they really just want a fat-tired DRZ650 or whatever.
    '87 TW200
    '94 Sportster 1200
    '74 XL70 Frankenbike
    '76 CT90
    '72 CT70
    '72 XL250

ADVrider... gosh, where do I start.

I have a like/hate relationship with that place. I've met some great people there, but like many have posted, there are way too many power-hungry types running the place. And it's very clique-ish. There are assclowns who troll threads with impunity, but if a normal person steps out of line, you get an instant ban, and if you so much as ASK why, you get another ban for "baiting" a moderator. The guy who "owns" the site is never there and doesn't answer PMs.

Then there's the new software they switched to a couple of months ago. I HATE IT. It's too busy. It has way too many images all over the place. I liked the old software. Since the new software, I go there maybe once a week (if that). I too stopped reading any threads regularly. For DR650 stuff I go to the DRRiders forum instead.

I will lurk there to read ride reports when I manage to find ones that are interesting. Far too many of them are all about BMWs, and I've grown to dislike those bikes so much that I don't care to read about them... with rare exception. Colebatch's BAM Road report from a few years ago was fantastic, for example.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    ADVrider... gosh, where do I start.

I have a like/hate relationship with that place. I've met some great people there, but like many have posted, there are way too many power-hungry types running the place. And it's very clique-ish. There are assclowns who troll threads with impunity, but if a normal person steps out of line, you get an instant ban, and if you so much as ASK why, you get another ban for "baiting" a moderator. The guy who "owns" the site is never there and doesn't answer PMs.

Then there's the new software they switched to a couple of months ago. I HATE IT. It's too busy. It has way too many images all over the place. I liked the old software. Since the new software, I go there maybe once a week (if that). I too stopped reading any threads regularly. For DR650 stuff I go to the DRRiders forum instead.

I will lurk there to read ride reports when I manage to find ones that are interesting. Far too many of them are all about BMWs, and I've grown to dislike those bikes so much that I don't care to read about them... with rare exception. Colebatch's BAM Road report from a few years ago was fantastic, for example.
    Amen on the BMW-philia. I've owned two; and they're great rides - but always, there's the potential or actual expense of keeping such a complicated, tempermental piece of equipment running. There are guys there who buy those things, bench-customize them...who the HELL has that kind of time and money? Lottery winners? How many of them ARE there?

There are devotees of lesser bikes but fewer of them. And everyone is prickly. Outside the Blue Roundel Fanboi Association, there's the usual Web-riders, there to tell us about wheelies and open pipes, and who needs gear. Responsible views, too. As well as trolls.

You get into the obscure corners, like the scooter section - or even one of several TW threads...more reasonableness. But it's buried deep.

I guess this is it. When that bike ad I still have up, slips under the waves...I'll ride off. ADVrider can become BMWrider/CYBERrider.

Quote Originally Posted by WECSOG View Post
    I have a friend who would like that stuff.
    Enough to pay the postage? Parcel Post is not cheap these days - it would probably cost about $20 to mail it.

If he'd like it that much, let me know. I'll figure postage and you can PayPal me the cost...and it'll be yours.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links