Good cop or bad cop?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Good cop or bad cop?

Good cop or bad cop?

This was not too far from home. What do you think?

Mearkle's acquittal doesn't equal innocence: Attorney | PennLive.com
    1991 TW200

I have no idea. I did some research prior to posting and there were no shortage of local residents that had unpleasant encounters with this trooper prior to this shooting. The man in question, while no saint, probably should not have been shot twice in the back while lying face down on the ground with a taser still attached and functional. Another wonderfully simple example of comply in the field fight in court. Maybe this is a learning moment. Police officers are under incredible stress these day's with the media spinning anti-cop propoganda like they did in Ferguson Mo.

Tom
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

This started out as just a simple traffic stop for an inspection sticker violation! Holy cow, then this looks like a hot headed out of control "horrible cop". If the traffic stop would have been for something more sinister and he fled...well?

In this case, I don't agree with the theory he was going for something in his jacket and she felt in danger. Did they ever find anything in the jacked? From what I can see this guy, good person or bad person, was executed! No matter how excited she was, she was in control. A cop should never gun down a suspect, person of interest etc., who is just crawling, getting up, walking or running away and when no one else's is in a life threatening situation. Because of the stun gun, he was in control almost the whole entire time.

Obviously I am not familiar with the use of force laws, but from what I could see in the video there was a whole lot more to the story as the jury sided with the cop. Convicted of a crime or not, she will have to live with this the rest of here life.

This does not pass my common sense smell test. And I'm not anti-cop as I was a Military Police Officer and have some background in stressful situations.
    TWilight, Hoot Gibson and WECSOG like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

If you are stupid enough to run from a Cop{good or bad} when they order you to stop....What the Hell were you thinking?

Did she overact?? Most likely....but I have my own opinions on female police officers in the line of duty or military combat. {yea, I'm a Bigot so sue me}after my four years as an Air Force Cop....where back in the day, we were all Males{not all real men however}..

Anyhow Cop sez "Stop" Don't Be Stupid, or you might end up dead...
    Gulfrider likes this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    This started out as just a simple traffic stop for an inspection sticker violation! Holy cow, then this looks like a hot headed out of control "horrible cop". If the traffic stop would have been for something more sinister and he fled...well?

In this case, I don't agree with the theory he was going for something in his jacket and she felt in danger. Did they ever find anything in the jacked? From what I can see this guy, good person or bad person, was executed! No matter how excited she was, she was in control. A cop should never gun down a suspect, person of interest etc., who is just crawling, getting up, walking or running away and when no one else's is in a life threatening situation. Because of the stun gun, he was in control almost the whole entire time.

Obviously I am not familiar with the use of force laws, but from what I could see in the video there was a whole lot more to the story as the jury sided with the cop. Convicted of a crime or not, she will have to live with this the rest of here life.

This does not pass my common sense smell test. And I'm not anti-cop as I was a Military Police Officer and have some background in stressful situations.
    The man had both drugs and alcohol in his system and a hypodermic needle was found on the scene. Now to play the devil's advocate here, the man was tazed several times and still would NOT comply. Yes it was JUST contact initiated by an out of date inspection sticker. That fact goes both way's though. 99 out of 100 such stops result in a warning or at worst a ticket. So from a police officers perspective WHY would this guy abandon his vehicle and flee on foot? Further, WHY would he continue to struggle and fail to follow SIMPLE orders to keep his hands in plain sight? In the mind of a police officer I can see why they would begin to question just WHO they were attempting to bring into custody. Full disclosure: I also have bigoted opinions like Hoot.

Tom
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes I.E.-don't run from the cops DUH....
    Hoot Gibson and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

Bad Cop!!!
    Officer feared for her life? Big deal, being afraid is no excuse to shoot someone. Actually being threatened/ attacked, etc is justifiable like in Ferguson.
    She simply could have waited until he either pulled a weapon or not before making a shoot/no shoot decision as she definitely had the drop on the victim.
    Law enforcement officers must deal with irrational inexplicable behavior all the time. That is why officer had a taser to intervene and control situation without resorting to deadly force. I imagine she had mace and a baton in her belted arsenal to deploy before the 9mm solution. It is a little unreasonable to expect someone to respond and comply with any screamed commands while being zapped. 20,000volts can be kind of distracting.
    Had officer not been nearly hysterical herself, used a calm yet authorative voice and ceased the zapping things could have ended much better. " Look fella, calm down, show your hands. If you reach for a weapon I will shoot".
    TWilight likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

It looked to me like the guy was complying. I didn't see him reach for anything. I normally support the police in their duties. And, I also agree, don't run from a cop. As another forum member said, "DUH". I'm a little skeptical that this was a righteous shoot.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

This is just getting out of hand......... "BAD" cop.. Some of these bad cops need to go to "JAIL".. Then maybe the others will start to use their heads first and shoot only when needed.....OMM.

My brother and I used to practice shoot / don't shoot scenarios. (I had an interesting childhood.) With me laying prone like that, with a revolver in my waistband, and him pointing his revolver at me; I could roll over and get a shot off before he could. Action vs reaction.

I'm surprised the Taser worked at all through that jacket. Maybe that was part of the problem. A good contact Taser ride will make it look like the guy's is having a seizure. No crawling. No talking.

The officer's verbal commands could have been more concise.

Women as cops? I had a buddy who was a recruiter for a local police department. They were told to go out and hire as many Asian women as possible. They were essentially not allowed to recruit based on qualifications, but rather on sex and gender. Geographically, they were only allowed to recruit in areas with a high Asian female population. Why? Because some moron somewhere did a study that showed Asian women use less force as police officers than any other race/gender. And of course there's the threat of Affirmative Action, the feds requiring departments to (at times) hire and promote unqualified officers. In this instance, a stronger more aggressive officer may have felt comfortable taking physical control of the man on the ground and the shooting would have been averted.

Good cop, bad cop, I have no idea.

Needed to be shot, didn't need to be shot? That's unclear based just on the video.
    Dryden-Tdub, Fred and Hoot Gibson like this.
    The value of the internet is that when you're wrong someone will immediately correct you, and when you're right, someone will immediately correct you". Lizrdbrth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links