Video Makers - Help me pick a camera & editing program
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Video Makers - Help me pick a camera & editing program

Video Makers - Help me pick a camera & editing program

Go-Pro, Sony, others? models? features? I am looking for an "action" camera that I can begin making ride videos & other videos with, "but" it also needs to be something that can be shared by my 8 & 9 year olds to make videos with also. They are showing interest in making videos and are currently using their iPad minis. Ideas for editing software that can be shared also would be great info also.

Also is it possible to post a video here without it being linked to youtube? If so how, cause I haven't figured it out.
    Thanks,

HKLBRY
    Last edited by HKLBRY; 03-09-2016 at 12:06 AM.

I have used GoPros from the very beginning when they first came out. I tried others along the way and have always gone back to the GoPro. I am currently using the hero 3+ and like being able to turn it off and on and control with my iPhone. The GoPro can take a beating when it is in the case, I have had them mounted on the bottom of a rail and bottomed out in the sand and ripping it off the mount and it just kept recording so I would have no problem letting kids use it....as long as they don't lose it The GoPro also has so much support as in mounting options. For editing software I started with Windows movie maker which is free and works but limited. I tried several other software packages and have settled with CyberLink PowerDirector, it's reasonably priced and does everything I want to do....I beleive there is a free trial download. Most of my videos are on the dunes in a sandrail but want to start taking more on the bikes. Here is my latest video I made using GoPro 3+, PowerDirector and some shots are with a DJI Phantom 2+ quadcopter....enjoy.

Last edited by Bmgm37; 11-11-2015 at 01:52 PM.
    HKLBRY likes this.

Go-Pro is the industry leader although there are much cheaper cameras to give to the kids.
    I got the Youtube posting habit but there are many more free video hosting sites. A quick Google search turned up this impressive list:
    Video Sites like Youtube: List of Video Sharing ... - ReelSEO
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Vimeo.com is another place I post video.

I had a GoPro but sold it because I felt it was too hard to use and suffered from poor battery life... but like others have said, it IS the standard and there really isn't anything better overall.

As for software, iMovie is a great editor on the Mac. I haven't used the iOS version much but I hear it's quite capable. No idea what Windows types use.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    I had a GoPro but sold it because I felt it was too hard to use and suffered from poor battery life... but like others have said, it IS the standard and there really isn't anything better overall.

As for software, iMovie is a great editor on the Mac. I haven't used the iOS version much but I hear it's quite capable. No idea what Windows types use.
    Rob was the GoPro an older one where you had to set everything with the camera buttons? If so, yes that was a pain but the newer ones have wifi and are very simple to use with an app. I get about 2 hours out of a battery on the 3+ and aftermarket batteries like Wasabi are cheap, I carry 2 extra and that give me about 6 hours of record time.

It was a Hero 3. I could configure it via my phone or a remote if I had it. But still, trying to start/stop it, ensure it's recording, make changes while riding, etc, was a PITA.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

I do not do action stuff really (camera mounted to me etc) I film everything from tripods and edit using Corel video studio 7...I had an earlier version....4 I think... got used to it so I bought the newer version last year...it has alot of cool transitions and works pretty well for me.
    1976 Honda XL 350
    2001 Yamaha TW 200
    2004 XR 650R
    Like Black Powder guns? Hidden Content
    Check out my youtube channel Hidden Content

Yes you can watch the video on the phone screen as it is recording, you can also save the video to your phone via the wifi connection. When I use the camera on the rail, it is out of my reach usually and I use the phone in a ram X-grip mount. When I use it on a bike, I only use the phone to change any setting on the camera, (which I never change really) then it is just one button to turn on and one to record. I use Ram 1" ball mounts on all my rigs so it is an easy swap between them.

I have an early GP, then bought a VIO POV 1.5, which had a very small camera attached, by cord, to the DVR unit which had a screen. That made it easy to set up/frame the shot. Recently bought the Drift Stealth 2. It is very compact & mounts without sticking out a mile like the GP & some others. It has WiFi, app, and importantly, a remote. This is the most important feature, for me. I don't want to sift through looooong videos just to find the best clips for a 3 minute vid (which is max for most people). With the remote on my sleeve I can start & stop & grab clips I want which makes post production MUCH easier. The Stealth also does time lapse, stills, even a mode for use in your car to recall the previous X minutes, in case of a crash or something. I'm still experimenting with it but color is good, features good, tiny size.... a keeper. Oh and only $ 108 (without remote).

I've used CyberLink Director but now use Photoshop CC, since I have the subscription & find some interface features easier to use. And, of course, you have all that Photoshop has to offer to boot. But CLD is a good app for not much $. I use Vimeo.com for video uploads.

Here is the Stealth 2 vid.

Last edited by munchmeister; 11-11-2015 at 03:49 PM. Reason: https://vimeo.com/142450515
    HKLBRY likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links