• 2 Post By Rhodetrip
  • 1 Post By littletommy
  • 2 Post By Ebbanflood
  • 1 Post By boznarras
  • 2 Post By boznarras

Thread: firefighter stair climb benefit to fight cancer

Exclamation firefighter stair climb benefit to fight cancer

Hi

Back in September, I lost my wife of 30 years to cancer (sarcoma), after over 12 years fighting it. She went through 4 major surgeries, courses of chemo three times, weeks of radiation twice. It was a hard fight, and just now I am getting to where I can talk about it.
    I am a volunteer firefighter. Some of our department has gone to Seattle each year to take part in the Scott Stairclimb to raise money for cancer research. This year they asked me to consider doing it. So last Wednesday, Nov. 11, I signed up. While this event is for leukemia and lymphoma research, the spinoffs to all cancer types is inevitable, and it is the option before me to try and do something to fight this awful disease that has affected so many.
    We each pay all our own travel and lodging, meals, and an entry fee. All donations go to the cause. Last year about 1900 firefighters from over 300 fire departments came for this event.

If this strikes a note with you, please open the link below to my personal page on the stairclimb website. There is more info, and you will have the opportunity to contribute by clicking the tab above my wife Carol's picture, labelled "Donate Now".

Thanks for considering helping.

Walter

Scott Firefighter Stairclimb 2016: Walter Moorhead - The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
    Fred, littletommy and Dryden-Tdub like this.

Your Carol was a beautiful woman.
    Saying "Sorry for your loss" doesn't begin to help you with your grief.
    Applaud your noble contribution to the Scott Stair Climb.
    boznarras, Dryden-Tdub and Mel like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Done. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to contribute.
    boznarras and Dryden-Tdub like this.

"Me and Mrs Trip, we got a thing going on"... an on-going adventure...
    Hidden Content

"When Piggies Fly" ...Me & Mrs Trip Cross the Pond
    Hidden Content

"Take the Puppy to the Beach"...a dirt route across southern New England
    Hidden Content

Latest Spotwalla: Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Good of you to do this Walter, sorry about your loss my brother. May God be with you through all this and bring you peace.
    boznarras likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Done. Proud to support this cause.
    Rhodetrip and boznarras like this.

So sorry to hear about your loss. My department usually gets a team of about 15 to do the stair climb as well. Hope to see you there this year!

Quote Originally Posted by LMUdave View Post
    So sorry to hear about your loss. My department usually gets a team of about 15 to do the stair climb as well. Hope to see you there this year!
    Hey that is great. We have six climbers this year, the most we have ever had in our small department.
    I will be 62, so I am the old guy, but I'm still kickin.
    I am so grateful to everyone for the support. This means a lot to me right now.
    littletommy likes this.

Update on our efforts. We got a used stairclimb machine to train on. The local paper came and did a story on it and took pictures. After the paper came out someone donated the entire amount we owed for the stairclimber.
    We set the stairclimber up on the side walk on the main street in our town last night; it was a special night when they light the town Christmas tree and all ten or so stores stay open. We took turns climbing, and had a popcorn machine and hot cocoa. The snacks were free. Two fire fighter boots were there to accept donations. This is the good part: our little town of 2000 people, some of whom were out on a cold night, put $716.05 in those boots last night. I am so proud of them.
    This just shows how much people are affected by this issue. I have people stop me to say how they miss Carol, how they miss somebody else, someone they want me to think of as I climb.
    Thanks for the help so far...keep it coming. Climb, Conquer, Cure!
    Weebles and Fred like this.

Link to the story in our paper.

Firefighters prepare for cancer fundraiser stairclimb - Wrangell Sentinel

Thanks for looking, and for any help you can spare!

An update on this, and a peek into a small Alaskan town. So proud of my neighbors here.
    Last night our stairclimb team put on a spaghetti feed fundraiser. We met the night before at my house and made the sauce and salads. We used the hall at my church to hold the dinner. People in town made and donated desserts.
    We suggested a donation of $10. We set out two fireman boots by the door, and let people put in their donation and make their own change out of what was in them while we served dinner. It was a good turnout for our little town, 50 people were served.
    Here is the neat part. After we did the dishes and cleaned up, we dumped the boots on the table and counted the take. 50 x 10 would be 500. Well....we had $1,111. !! Four men (and two women, in this case) walking tall!!!
    The training and the fundraising continue as we work towards the climb on March 6. Thanks for looking at my link in the original post, and appreciate any amount of help in this effort.

Sponosred Links