Close

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By jeffrolives
  • 3 Post By Hoot Gibson
  • 2 Post By Fred
  • 1 Post By Hoot Gibson

Thread: Oil! - a novel

Oil! - a novel

Going to try and make another post about a book without sounding self absorbed or narcissistic, yet a bit of background, I believe, serves as a good foundation.

I have for years now believed that Daniel Day Lewis' performance in "There Will Be Blood" is one of the most amazing that I have seen. It was not as if I was watching an actor playing a role as in so many other movies and films, it was as if I was actually watching, through some strange window, a camera following Daniel Plainview around throughout his life.

Upon finishing my last book (which I now realize, though it was decent enough, it pales in depth of character and sheer story telling), my wife brought me a couple of selections from her folks' library. One of which I already have and have read (The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan which is fantastic), but the other I knew just by looking at it, I knew exactly what it was; or so I thought.

For that reason (loving the movie...ahem, film), I knew the story and did not really need to read.

I was wrong. The film was quite a departure from the book.

In short,

"Oil!" by Upton Sinclair - Very, very good. Certainly now in my top 10, if not closer to top 5.

Not as comical as Mark Twain's "Roughing It", nor as cuddly as Jack London's "Valley of the Moon", but oh, such a transportation to the turn of the 20th century!!! Southern California in the early 1900s; and so many different insights into not only the technical workings of the business, politics, and different tid bits, but also some deep underlying themes.

And in such, I found myself searching for another read. Not really a text book, but another novel type book about the Russian Revolution. No, I am not going to the Bolshevik side, but I would like to know more about it. Dr. Zhivago is beautiful, but without the general knowledge of what happened to whom, and who was doing what, I get a bit lost.

So, with that, does anyone have another such book they can recommend on that subject? And if not, a general recommendation; I think you get the jist of the stuff I am into. (if not, kinda history type stuff)

Thank you in advance.

Jeff
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Hell I'm going to give you a "Like" just to make sure you don't feel left out...but really after a couple Drambuie Shots....I don't know what the Hell you are asking....
    Peterb, grewen and jeffrolives like this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution: 1891-1924 by Orlando Figes describes the events in a Russian cultural framework that might be informatively entertaining, different from typical socio-political analysis of many of our history texts.

Hoot Gibson and jeffrolives like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Fred!!!

Exactly what I was looking for (albeit, without the heft, but I don't suppose what I am looking for would fit in a leaflet).

Hoping B&N has it in stock. Would be a great treat to compliment getting this cast changed out today. Fingers crossed. Don't want to wait for an order now.

Thanks again!

Hoot - I understand. Hope your feeling alright this morning

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrolives View Post
    Thanks Fred!!!

Exactly what I was looking for (albeit, without the heft, but I don't suppose what I am looking for would fit in a leaflet).

Hoping B&N has it in stock. Would be a great treat to compliment getting this cast changed out today. Fingers crossed. Don't want to wait for an order now.

Thanks again!

Hoot - I understand. Hope your feeling alright this morning
    Not Bad Only had about 6 Fingers of that Devil's Advocate Drambuie....but ate a couple of the wife's fresh made Christmas Cookies and mixed with the sweet drink gave me a case of Heartburn... But that to has passed
    Peterb likes this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Sponosred Links