Members Recipies ........
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Members Recipies ........

Members Recipies ........

Purples - Spaghetti Bolognaise:

Little bit of background here – something my (ex) wife used to knock up in minutes, which I’ve refined over the years to my own personal taste. These days, I tend to cook one gallon at a time, and freeze the lot off – tastes so much better this way ……..

Hopefully, this recipe will give you an insight into “why” we’re cooking it this way – rather than just a list of ingredients – and some insight into how those ingredients interact with each other.

Presuming you’re being sensible and knocking this stuff up a gallon at a time – the first thing you’re going to need is Garlic Butter. Don’t worry if it’s not available locally, it freezes well – just stock up on it when you find it.

One big dollop of the stuff in a pan, and melt. About the size of two ping pong balls will do it – never been one to measure things out – lacks the personal touch. While that lots going on, start chopping up your onions, three of four of them depending on the size. No need to chop them up too fine, but no big chunks either.

Introduce the onions to the garlic butter, stir well. If you’ve got it right, the butter will be enough to “lubricate” the onions – adjust onion or garlic butter content at this point to fix this if it’s not happening. There is no other oil going into this dish, so you need to get the balance right – it will come with practice.

While the onions are cooking down in the butter, add some pepper and Italian herb seasoning to the mix. No need to over-do things at this stage, there will be plenty of opportunities to make adjustments later – just do it “by nose” – if it smells right, it probably is. Coarse ground pepper is usually best, though fine ground pepper will do just as well. Take it easy, as the pepper content is harder to adjust than the herb content later on ……

Once the onions start to go clear (you’re not trying to fry them here, just cook them), add the mincemeat (ground beef). This should be ground steak meat, typically less than 12% fat. Tried it with a higher fat content and it just spoils the whole thing – so shop around until you get “Steak mince”. It does make a difference. Once you’ve got the meat in there (about 1.5 kg for a gallon), use a fork to separate it as much as possible. Nothing worse than “chunks” of ground beef in this mix – it has to be smooth. Get it as separated as you can at this stage, but you’ll have an opportunity to improve on this later. Stir the meat and the onions into each other as you go, this will help to mix the flavours. Do not use “stock cubes – this thing will have a life of it’s own.

Keep the heat low throughout all of all this – if it’s “simmering” you’re probably too high. Tone the heat down – this isn’t a race……
    Once the meat has cooked, smell what you’re doing. You should be able to smell all the ingredients added so far – if any spices are missing, chuck a bit more in there now, because the next stage is going to stifle it a bit.

Tomato puree – wonderful stuff – when you get it right. Too much and you’ve got a recipe for heart burn, too little, and you’ll feel the dish is “missing something”. I’ve heard that adding sugar can tone it down, but let’s try not to add too much in the first place – it’s easier and less fattening.

When adding tomato puree, try to add half of it at first, because once it’s in there, there’s no taking it out. Spread it out with a fork over the surface of the meat, wait a minute for it to melt into the juices, then stir it in thoroughly. Now, take a look at the colour of the meat – we don’t want it overly red (too much), but we want to able to see the difference. Use this opportunity to separate the mix as much as possible, the addition of the puree will help with this.

Once you’re happy with it at this stage – switch off the heat, and stick a lid on the pan. We don’t want the mix to dry out or over cook, but we need to give the tomato puree a chance to soak into the meat. If you have the time, I’d give it one hour – but if you’re in a hurry, 30 mins will do. But if you skip this stage, you’ll ruin the whole thing.

While the pot is “marinating”, sit back and open a bottle of half decent Claret – you deserve it at this point, and besides, (if you’ve got it right) the whole house will smell of Bolognaise to the point where neighbours from miles around will be lining up at your door plates in hand. Just sit there with a smug look on your face, and tell everybody they’re just going have to “wait”.

You can’t rush good food – (not this good anyway) ……

When you’re good and ready, it’s time for the liquid “sauce”. Store bought – Dolmios finest. Around 1250 grams should do it (one large bottle, and one medium bottle). No point in trying to improve on perfection. Start the (gentle) heat again and stir into the mix, whilst sorting out any remaining “lumps” in the meat – you can rinse out the jars with 25% water and chuck that in there too – won’t hurt as we’ll be boiling down this pot in due course.

While that lot’s cooking in, start cutting mushrooms, not too fine – not too chunky. Pile the cut ‘shrooms into the pot, making sure they’re covered by the mix. We need to boil them down whilst trying not to overcook the sauce. This will take 30 mins at least, so let’s get the pulses going – a tin (or two) of “Petite Pois” goes on top of the lot – gives them a chance to soak in any juices that rise. After about 20 mins you can push them down into the mix as well.

Again – “smell” the pot as you go along – if you can’t smell those Italian herbs, now’s the time to add more. (This is your last chance – don’t add anymore after this stage – trust me) ……

While that lot’s bubbling down, stir constantly, making sure you’re not burning the bottom of the pot – easy to do with this mixture. Remember, you’re not trying to “simmer” it – the sauce at this point will be too thick – take it slowly, and turn off the heat when and as you need to – it won’t affect the end result in the slightest.

Now, it’s time to talk pigs. Ham to be precise. Adding Ham to the mix will lighten it up a bit, and together with the vegetable mix you already have in there, will make the whole experience better. Sliced Ham – anyway you want it – cut into small squares and in it goes. How much Ham you use depends on you – don’t go crazy – simply “add to taste”. Stir it all together and the sauce will soon keep it separated, and the tomato content of the sauce will quickly make it blend in with the other ingredients.

Now comes the “final touches”. (Starting to smell good huh ? – you ain’t smelled nothing yet) …….

Parma Ham – Prosciutto at a pinch – 4 to 6 slices. Trim the fat, slice it up into small squares, and get it in there. The flavour is incredible when you cook it like this – it infuses into the whole dish.

And the final “Piece de Resistance” – 100 grams of finely grated Parmesan cheese – it will stiffen up the mix, add that inimitable Italian flavour, and “impart a smoother texture to the tongue”. Stir in the cheese while taking the pot of the heat – put the lid in place – and you’re done.

There was a point where I’d add a small pot of single cream at that point – but in the end – this is supposed to be a low fat dish (or as low as we can get it anyway).

Let the pot cool down a bit and shove it in the fridge over-night. This gives the whole thing a chance for the flavours to soak into each other. The smell of the cooking will be driving you crazy at this point – but it’s worth waiting for.

Enjoy the next day – or freeze the portions off as you will – it’ll taste just as good (if not better) from frozen. Though, curiously enough, not quite “as good” if your appetite gets the better of you on the same day.

The good thing, is that it only takes half an hour to cook from frozen – cook up one batch and your good to go for around 10 portions ………….
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Gourmet El Toasted Bologna Samich.

Toast 2 pieces of the bread of your choice. (Toasting darker is better, almost burnt).

Spread Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip on one slice and peanut butter on the other slice. (Peter Pan or Jiffy Peanut Butter is best).

Add 1 thick slice of Bologna.

Add, mustard of your choice.

Yummy enjoy!
    littletommy, TWilight and GTG like this.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Mel
    Admiral, Do you think they will buy that sandwich for dinner on one evening in Moab? I didn't think so either.
    Mel

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by admiral View Post
    Gourmet El Toasted Bologna Samich.

Toast 2 pieces of the bread of your choice. (Toasting darker is better, almost burnt).

Spread Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip on one slice and peanut butter on the other slice. (Peter Pan or Jiffy Peanut Butter is best).

Add 1 thick slice of Bologna.

Add, mustard of your choice.

Yummy enjoy!
    Yuck!! And Lori let's you eat that??!! You're supposed to be getting all the good home cookin... !!
    admiral, Jon62602, SanDue and 2 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Gosh that Bolognese sounds good Purple!
    Excellent recipe and technique to make it happen. My wife would approve. Stuff does taste and smell better when reheated the next day.
    We don't have ready access to the Dolmios stateside but there are substitutes.ProductFrame_Bolognese.png
    The peas we can get. 13421109.jpeg
    Years ago cooking Chinese I discovered the magic of blending ground pork with the ground beef at times. Not trying to improve on your perfection, just pointing out endless modifications are possible.
    We freeze smaller portions for quick and easy mid week meals.
    Thanks for sharing such a well written course of action to a happy tummy.
    SanDue and Purple like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    Yuck!! And Lori let's you eat that??!! You're supposed to be getting all the good home cookin... !!
    No! I think it's disgusting too. He doesn't do any cooking when I'm around, cause I bitch about what he is making and I won't eat it. Poor georgie runs from it too. Haha
    littletommy, SanDue, Fred and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Gosh that Bolognese sounds good Purple! ......... Excellent recipe and technique to make it happen.
    No worries — I was cooking it as I was writing — seemed a shame not to share (after all, it’s what we do on here).

The average “cookery book” will simply give a list of ingredients — something that I’ve tried to avoid here. But once you begin to understand how these ingredients work in harmony to create something, you can alter some of them to your personal taste.

This is what I’ve tried to do with this recipe, to explain the evolution here, not just the “parts”.

I lived for many years with my Mothers cooking — God bless her dear departed soul — but she couldn’t boil an egg.

Then I went out on the road for six years, where I had to eat out each night or starve.

I “discovered” food — proper food — where you could take your fancy on the spur of a moment.

I began to understand why A goes with B, how they complement each other — how many choices there are, and the entire concept of “creative cooking”.

Since then, I’ve had the knowledge to change recipes to my taste, simply through experience.

I finally “understood” food.

It’s that understanding that I wanted to share — the “why” of it — not just the cooking.

So — if anyone else has something they want to share — then this thread is the place to do it …….
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Striped Bass

Take the filet and cut it into individual sizes, about 4"x4". Brush the filet with dijon mustard and place each piece on a piece of tinfoil. Sprinkle Montreal Steak seasoning on them. Pour italian dressing on them and fold the tinfoil over the top, don't wrap tightly, kind of tent it. Put them on the grill on high for 10 minutes. (This is for 1 1/2" thick, if it's thinner go less on the time) When they are done the bottom has a nice crust and the steam in italian dressing gives it a great flavor.
    Purple, Mel, TWilight and 1 others like this.

I heard Mel was going to serve a bowl of oatmeal with a hard boiled egg for breakfast...

And we can just like it or go without...

Until the PB&J sandwiches are served at lunch...

Same rules apply; like it or go without...

*not really... Aren't you glad? !!
    TWilight and SanDue like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Fredjiyaki Beef or Chicken

I take any basic teriyaki recipe then pump up the garlic and sesame significantly, marinate the dickens out of it then BBQ quickly on high heat the next day. Extra brown sugar helps create a glaze on the chicken to lock in more flavor. While I never measure anything here is an approximate starting point. Taste marinade as you build it, modify to taste. I usually add a little extra salt after cooking

I start with two or more pounds of fairly lean 1" x1" sliced strips of top round, tri tip or New York, or boneless,skinless chicken thighs.

Marinade:
    2 cups soy sauce
    1 cup brown sugar
    4 cloves minced garlic
    2 tablespoons seame oil
    2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
    2 tablespoons ground ginger or equivalent fresh ginger minced finely
    3 minced green onions
    1/2 teaspoon chinese 5-spice (optional)
    1/2 teaspoon tumeric ( optional)

Boneless chicken thighs and thin strips cook fast on high heat, I try to get a bit of surface crust but still moist inside. Maybe three minutes per side over hot hardwood coals. Grill a can of pineapple slices at same time for desert or pallet cleanser. Serve with simple white rice and a green salad generously laced with nuts, raisins, sesame sticks, sweet onion.
    Last edited by Fred; 12-12-2015 at 04:01 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links