Now Here Is Some "Common Sense" Gun Legislation I Could Get behind
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Now Here Is Some "Common Sense" Gun Legislation I Could Get behind

Now Here Is Some "Common Sense" Gun Legislation I Could Get behind

Hoot Gibson and PlacerLode like this.

It means that you should not have to pay a sheriff for a permit to carry.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

Quote Originally Posted by ourdee View Post
    it means that you should not have to pay a sheriff for a permit to carry.
    agreed!
    1976 Honda XL 350
    2001 Yamaha TW 200
    2004 XR 650R
    Like Black Powder guns? Hidden Content
    Check out my youtube channel Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

At the very least, a national law and coverage for the permit. Our Oregon permit is not recognized by most other states, so we have to get resident Oregon AND non resident Utah, Arizona, or Florida to cover more area. Resident Or and Utah covers most states I'm likely to travel to, California excepted. A CHL should be like a drivers license, good for your state, and recognized for travel to all other states.
    Hoot Gibson, Xracer, jb882 and 3 others like this.

Ohio Changed it's law last March 23rd while we were playing in the dirt in Moab.... ... so it now recognizes and is recognized by all states except the usual dungheaps including Mexifornia, Oregon{sorry Byron},Illinois, New York, and much of New England and the Mid Atlantic...all far left states which despise the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, White Folks, and Christians, but just love Illegals and Islamic Terrorists... {only half kidding}

Meaning I could drive from Ohio to Moab and not be in violation{avoiding Illinois} and ride/drive south to Florida and be legal as well....

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 12-21-2015 at 07:45 AM.
    Byron likes this.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Just wish my Florida permit would allow me to buy guns and ammo in Tennessee.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

My stupid state wont recognize ay other permit other then Mass. For me the stated i spend the most time in are NH and Maine as my girlfriend is a southern Maine resident. NH as a non resident i can open carry or travel thru the state if my firearm is unloaded without a permit. Maine just passed constitutional concealed carry for all so i can carry there no problem. Vermont is the same as Maine. Glad to see other states coming around.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Actually Vermont is the only state that has always had constitutional carry.
    When I travel, I always look at a handgun law map to plot my course. I have no problem with driving a couple hundred miles out of my way to avoid a state that I can't legally carry in. I don't mind too much if they don't honor my governmental permission slip, as long as they do at least allow car carry and open carry.
    For example, New Mexico and Virginia don't honor my permit, but they do allow open carry in and out of my vehicle. So that's how I carry in those states. Both states are quite open carry friendly, in fact.
    PA doesn't honor my permit either, but they do allow open carry outside the vehicle. In a vehicle, normally your pistol must be unloaded unless you have a permit. However, for the purpose of car carry (only), PA does honor any other state's permit. So I'm GTG there as well.
    I had to cross a small section of Maryland between West Virginia (which does honor my permit) and Pennsylvania. Maryland does not honor my permit, nor do they allow vehicle nor open carry. I bought a small keyed handgun safe just for this trip. Stopped just short of the state line in WV for a meal, restroom break, topped off the fuel tank, unloaded and secured my handgun. Then drove nonstop across Maryland at the speed limit. The idea was that if I had to enter the state, I wanted to make sure to not spend any money there.
    Dryden-Tdub and jtomelliott49 like this.
    '87 TW200
    '94 Sportster 1200
    '74 XL70 Frankenbike
    '76 CT90
    '72 CT70
    '72 XL250

BTW, I just read the linked article and noticed something I want to comment on: the statement that "It's already legal to carry a gun openly — for instance, in a holster — without a permit in West Virginia. Only a handful of states have that kind of leniency, including Maine, Alaska, Arizona, Kansas, Vermont and Wyoming." This is another case of a reporter assuming something is true without fact-checking. After all, unlicensed open carry can't be allowed in many states, can it?

In fact, unlicensed open carry is allowed in most states. Opencarry.org shows 30 states with legal unlicensed open carry, and that only includes states that allow it in just about any public area. Some other states allow it in rural areas (California) or while engaged in outdoor sports including hunting, fishing or camping (Florida).
    http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=103

The thing is, concealed carry used to be widely considered as something people did who were up to no good; while open carry was considered as the "bear arms" part of the Second Amendment.
    I remember when I was a kid and concealed carry permits were almost unheard of. Lots of states (including supposedly pro-gun Texas and Tennessee) absolutely did not allow carrying a loaded handgun, period. You could carry it unloaded in its original box or some other case, locked in the trunk, going to and from gun shops, shooting ranges or hunting fields. Otherwise you were supposed to leave it at home.
    But in most states, open carry was and always had been legal. In rural areas and small towns of my home state of Alabama, it wasn't uncommon to see someone with a holstered pistol in plain view. Also a large percentage of pickup trucks had a rifle or shotgun, or both, prominently displayed in the back window. That included pickup trucks parked at the high schools and driven by 16- and 17-year-olds, too. Guess how often some nutjob walked into a school and started shooting? Never, that's how often.
    Oh, and I forgot to mention that it was also pretty common to see a 14-year-old kid walking down the side of the road carrying a .22 rifle.
    Byron and Dryden-Tdub like this.
    '87 TW200
    '94 Sportster 1200
    '74 XL70 Frankenbike
    '76 CT90
    '72 CT70
    '72 XL250

Quote Originally Posted by WECSOG View Post
    BTW, I just read the linked article and noticed something I want to comment on: the statement that "It's already legal to carry a gun openly — for instance, in a holster — without a permit in West Virginia. Only a handful of states have that kind of leniency, including Maine, Alaska, Arizona, Kansas, Vermont and Wyoming." This is another case of a reporter assuming something is true without fact-checking. After all, unlicensed open carry can't be allowed in many states, can it?

In fact, unlicensed open carry is allowed in most states. Opencarry.org shows 30 states with legal unlicensed open carry, and that only includes states that allow it in just about any public area. Some other states allow it in rural areas (California) or while engaged in outdoor sports including hunting, fishing or camping (Florida).
    Open Carry | OpenCarry.org

The thing is, concealed carry used to be widely considered as something people did who were up to no good; while open carry was considered as the "bear arms" part of the Second Amendment.
    I remember when I was a kid and concealed carry permits were almost unheard of. Lots of states (including supposedly pro-gun Texas and Tennessee) absolutely did not allow carrying a loaded handgun, period. You could carry it unloaded in its original box or some other case, locked in the trunk, going to and from gun shops, shooting ranges or hunting fields. Otherwise you were supposed to leave it at home.
    But in most states, open carry was and always had been legal. In rural areas and small towns of my home state of Alabama, it wasn't uncommon to see someone with a holstered pistol in plain view. Also a large percentage of pickup trucks had a rifle or shotgun, or both, prominently displayed in the back window. That included pickup trucks parked at the high schools and driven by 16- and 17-year-olds, too. Guess how often some nutjob walked into a school and started shooting? Never, that's how often.
    Oh, and I forgot to mention that it was also pretty common to see a 14-year-old kid walking down the side of the road carrying a .22 rifle.
    The good old days. When the school day was over you went hunting.
    Hoot Gibson, WECSOG and Byron like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links