The TW's man powered cousin
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: The TW's man powered cousin

The TW's man powered cousin

I guess you could call it a present to myself. It was a case of it being on close out. I took it out for about an hour yesterday, I think it will go anywhere you have the muscle to pedal. It has a lot of low gears so between that and the wide tires, you can crawl through the woods.

It will be a good complement to my TW, when i get it (March).

Disclaimer: I am not a hardcore cyclist. I own no spandex or other bicycle paraphernalia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Coming Soon: 2016 TW200

Other ride: 2007 Yamaha FZ6

We have those spandex guys that bring their bikes out to the country to ride down the already too narrow roads out here in the country...personally...I think they go FAR away from where they live so they can wear that skin tight spandex crap....and those helmets....snicker.
    1976 Honda XL 350
    2001 Yamaha TW 200
    2004 XR 650R
    Like Black Powder guns? Hidden Content
    Check out my youtube channel Hidden Content

There are quite a few of those people around here. I cycle a lot in the summer. I live close enough to work I might as well, and it gets the kids off the couch. As I said, all the while wearing normal clothing.

When I bought the bike, the young guy working in the store was talking about all of the cool stuff I could get. He mentioned something about shoes that clip to the pedals, so you can bunny hop over obstacles. I said "that's nice, but (pointing at my logger type boots) these are what I will be wearing most of the time I ride this bike." I don't think he quite knew what to think.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Relax, those Fat Tire bikes are not for the pretentious. I see them ridden by healthy folks out to have a good time usually unconcerned about their appearance. I occasionally come across a bearded chap with his loaded down with overnight gear and a shortened 10/22 rifle slung below the crossbar. Nice guy. No spandex.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

First time I followed those wide tired bikes I thought I was on the heals of a Dub rider.................I was shocked to see a pedal bike.. OMM.
    mhomadness and jtomelliott49 like this.

you didnt ask for it, but Ill offer up some advice. I would recommend some cycling shorts if youre going out for more than an hour or so. Out of all the cycling apparel it will make the biggest difference. you can get some that are baggy type and have a liner with the padding in them. Then you wont have the spandex look. I gave up caring about that a long time ago and if its hot and im going out for hours spandex cant be beat. No flapping or extra heat build up. All this said on a fat bike usually folks arent too concerned with performance or long time comfort since youre usually only out for short bursts. The "clipless pedals" are another story. They have the wrong name and have some advantages, but I wouldnt worry about it until you feel like you need more performance. Long story short if you want any tips or tricks just ask. I own a bike shop and would love to help anyone that wants to put wheels to the ground.

Side note for other readers. Surly is doing some crazy close outs on the pugsly as seen in the photo there. If you have wanted one now is the time and this thing will beat the hell outta any department store "deal" youre gonna find.

Another side note. I wear that spandex crap out in the country far from where I live too. Difference is that I wear it out the front door and ride all the way to the country. Last dude that pointed out how goofy he thought it looked I told how ridiculous he looked in a carhart kit with camo carrying about 100lbs extra with him. Im pretty thick skinned and its all in good humor cause it does look a bit silly, but ill take it for the comfort and performance it gives. 7500 miles this year and Ive got a few days left!

heres a few shots for fun
    Untitled by dolphaxel, on Flickr
    this was from a commute a few days ago
    an overnight trip this spring. just a 35 mile ride each way and a single night.
    an overnighter I think this may
    this is a friend of mine and myself after 100 mile mountain bike race. 10:45 of saddle time and I'm still happy
    And heres my shop with my overly happy business partner
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

Quote Originally Posted by vanillagorilla1 View Post
    you didnt ask for it, but Ill offer up some advice. I would recommend some cycling shorts if youre going out for more than an hour or so. Out of all the cycling apparel it will make the biggest difference. you can get some that are baggy type and have a liner with the padding in them. Then you wont have the spandex look. I gave up caring about that a long time ago and if its hot and im going out for hours spandex cant be beat. No flapping or extra heat build up. All this said on a fat bike usually folks arent too concerned with performance or long time comfort since youre usually only out for short bursts. The "clipless pedals" are another story. They have the wrong name and have some advantages, but I wouldnt worry about it until you feel like you need more performance. Long story short if you want any tips or tricks just ask. I own a bike shop and would love to help anyone that wants to put wheels to the ground.

Side note for other readers. Surly is doing some crazy close outs on the pugsly as seen in the photo there. If you have wanted one now is the time and this thing will beat the hell outta any department store "deal" youre gonna find.

Another side note. I wear that spandex crap out in the country far from where I live too. Difference is that I wear it out the front door and ride all the way to the country. Last dude that pointed out how goofy he thought it looked I told how ridiculous he looked in a carhart kit with camo carrying about 100lbs extra with him. Im pretty thick skinned and its all in good humor cause it does look a bit silly, but ill take it for the comfort and performance it gives. 7500 miles this year and Ive got a few days left!

heres a few shots for fun
    this was from a commute a few days ago
    an overnight trip this spring. just a 35 mile ride each way and a single night.
    an overnighter I think this may
    this is a friend of mine and myself after 100 mile mountain bike race. 10:45 of saddle time and I'm still happy
    And heres my shop with my overly happy business partner
    I agree on the close out prices. The guy at the shop said a new one (with 10 speeds on the rear sprocket Set vs 9) would be 1600.

As far as spandex get up, I can't say I care one way or the other. If someone is a hardcore cyclist, it absolutely makes sense. I do have a couple pair of shorts I bought to wear under my riding pants when I used to do more long Moto days.

And 7500 miles? Damn that's a lot! On my "regular" bike (Trek verve) I don't think I put a tenth of that this last year.

mhomadness and jtomelliott49 like this.

Good on ya. Keep the pedals turning. It's not all about the miles. It's all about the fun and health. I set a goal for 5k this year and blew it outta the water. I think next year i might give 10k a go. Maybe my last chance before we try for kids and I won't be able to pull those hours after that. Took me 550 hour to get to 7500 this year.
    93 tw. running like clockwork
    225 6 speed complete!
    82 honda gl500 silver wing. sold to a new home 11-24-17
    03 ducati monster 800sie. full rebuild and a danger to the public Hidden Content for sale

I wore a pair of cycling shorts on a motorcycle trip to AZ from KS. They made a big difference. Never bicycled a lot, but do still have my "good" bike I bought back in the mid 70's. A Raleigh Super Tourer. Power to you for keeping in shape, and also kudos to you on your TW build. Yes, I read your 225 posts.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

bbbut he's missing one of his forks!
    Phelonius

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links