Tomorrow gonna be yummy....
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Tomorrow gonna be yummy....

Any favorite Prime Rib recipes?

Here is a recipe I have cooked several times. I have cooked it on Christmas Day for a few years now.
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/prime-rib/

The only modifications I have made is to sear the ends of the meat as well as the top and bottom.

One other thing I forgot. Don't try to use the drippings for gravy, they will be salty and if you sear it good there won't be enough anyway.
    Last edited by jb882; 12-31-2015 at 08:14 AM.
    Flathats, SanDue and TWilight like this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Nice we are smoking a hog we shot for new years party
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Being a true carnivore and loving a great meal of Prime Rib I must admit you just made me re think my plan for tonight. We went fishy this year and have fresh Clams, Mussels and Snow Crab on tonight's menu.

Cooking that piece of meat is actually pretty simple. We just coat the outside with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder and then braise both ends before cooking in the oven. The real key to a nice PR is to never over cook it. I love it bloody rare and if it Moooos when I stick a fork in it it is done just right. I also always allow the meat to get to room temperature before cooking but don't honestly know if that matters at all. Last years PR came direct from a local beef farm and we did pay a premium price well over what the grocery store charges but I will admit it was the finest PR we have ever cooked. Yours looks to be about a 3-4 rib piece and we normally go for a bit larger 5-6 rib one.

Enjoy your meal and Happy New Year to all.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by GaryL View Post
    Being a true carnivore and loving a great meal of Prime Rib I must admit you just made me re think my plan for tonight. We went fishy this year and have fresh Clams, Mussels and Snow Crab on tonight's menu.

Cooking that piece of meat is actually pretty simple. We just coat the outside with salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder and then braise both ends before cooking in the oven. The real key to a nice PR is to never over cook it. I love it bloody rare and if it Moooos when I stick a fork in it it is done just right. I also always allow the meat to get to room temperature before cooking but don't honestly know if that matters at all. Last years PR came direct from a local beef farm and we did pay a premium price well over what the grocery store charges but I will admit it was the finest PR we have ever cooked. Yours looks to be about a 3-4 rib piece and we normally go for a bit larger 5-6 rib one.

Enjoy your meal and Happy New Year to all.

GaryL
    Yes Gary....I cut one of ours in half as there is only two of us...have cooked them many times, just looking for a different spin....we are probably going to go with The Pioneer Woman recipe listed above....have heard good things about it....
    SanDue and TWilight like this.

TWilight, just curious, did you get those roasts at Dick's meats? I don't know if it's even there anymore?
    RicklesssS in Oregon.

Mel
    Side note. I Barbequed over 1800 beef and chicken meals (doesn't count Moab) last year and another BBQ on Saturday the 2nd of Jan. for 250-300. Every pound of meat was and/or will be purchased from Costco!
    Mel
    TWilight, littletommy and jb882 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    No, Rick, it was not Dick's meats. Believe it or not, it is Costco. While it is a warehouse store, when it comes to depts like their bakery, and their meats, they do a very good internal job of baking some darn good items, and in the meat dept., they have a darn good crew that can prepare some fine meats. I have gotten to know the guys that work that dept, and they know what they are doing.
    We don't have Costco near me, out big warehouse chain is BJ's. I'll second what you say about the warehouse meat departments. I get all of my meats from BJ's and then vacuum bag and freeze them. I usually buy the big uncut bulk pieces and then have them cut it for me in the cuts I want. For Christmas dinner I bought an 18# rib eye and had the meat guy cut me an 8# roast out of it and sliced the rest into 1.5" thick steaks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    TWilight, Mel, littletommy and 1 others like this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Why am I starving all of a sudden.....
    TWilight and Fred like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Our Warehouse store here is Sam's club and they do have some great meats. I use a local butcher shop for the Rib Eye and buy the whole piece at a discounted price and cut it myself into 1.5 inch steaks that I then vacuum seal for freezing. With the rib roasts (Prime Rib) we have found that it should never be frozen until it is cooked. Just 2 of us here so I cook the entire roast and we eat 1.5 or 2 ribs and then I cut the rest into nice meal size steaks and seal and freeze them. After thawing they are not as good as when first cooked but still very nice meals. A few years back we bought a big PR roast and cooked half and froze the other half uncooked. It was great the first time but tough as nails after we thawed and cooked the second half. Cooking seems to lock in the flavors so if you freeze it after cooking it is still pretty good.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links