Snow Birds
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Snow Birds

Snow Birds

Think I'm about to become one. That's Canuck vacationers, right?
    Here's my story. Around 1978 my girlfriend and I were College students in Peterborough, Ont. Our friend's cousin worked for Air Canada and offered a week all inclusive in Veradero for $228 total. This wasn't for me but for our (girl) friend who asked my girlfriend if she wanted to go. They were both stoked but as the date loomed so did exams and they both bailed. She offered it to my bud Bob and me and I think we were quoted as saying something along the lines of "Exams! We don need no steenkin exams!" and we where gone.
    It was incredible flying out of early March mush and cold and into this tropical paradise of 22 kms. (I think) of sand and surf and small six to ten room hotels. History has it that it was all DuPont at one time with the museum at the end of the beach being the DuPont estate and all these little hotel, guest houses.
    I've never forgotten that trip snorkeling, scuba diving, camping out over night on some island and, of course the "What happens in Varadero...."part. Been thinking of it for a couple of years and a week ago I took the plunge.
    The quaint hotels are gone and I just sort of stuck my finger on one of those cheap vacation things. I went for a 4 star all everything, extra trips and travel and cancellation ins. So, all in all I'm looking at around $1500 for the week which is still not bad but a long way from $228. Bigsmile
    So, who else and where? Snow Bird thingy I mean.

I know I am dreaming when I say this the last winter in the rainy, damp, PNW. But is my dream to take a few toys, load up, hook to a decent small home I plan to build and go where the sun comes up without clouds. Be able to ride 4 and 2 wheelers, take pics of game, see as many parks as possible, ride with many of you across the nation to see those special places.
    Dryden-Tdub and TWilight like this.

Snowbirds bring a lot of money into our area but it sure is hard to find a parking space. That and the fact most of them don't know where their going or how to drive.
    Gulfrider and TWilight like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    Snowbirds bring a lot of money into our area but it sure is hard to find a parking space. That and the fact most of them don't know where their going or how to drive.
    we know what you go through!! it's like that, here in the summer
    TWilight likes this.
    Greg

2019 honda cb500x
    2018 honda grom
    2018 suzuki dr200

One upside is because there is no place to park you brown bag it and save money.

Growing up in South Florida "Snow Birds" as much as "Floridians" like to make fun of and scorn them, are the life blood of that state, along with criminals, mashers, Haitians, and other Illegal Trash...my little sister still lives in Naples and 92 year old mom and older brother live there in the after Christmas months....I never had desire to move back, although I do visit my old hometown of Venice and the relatives in both Naples, and Venice, on occasion....this winter will probably be the same.

However, after yesterday, wintering in the south, whether Southwest, such as southern Utah or Arizona, or even Everglades City, is getting to become more of an appeal.

After a couple of inches of snow on Sunday Night{snowed again last night, closing most schools, and I will be firing up the Snow Machine here shortly}, our first snow of the year...on top of ice, things got dicey walking...fast forward to Noonish on Monday. I had a Residential Home Board meeting, and the parking lot was full...so Board Prez, being the kind person I am, decides to park away from the building in case some of the female members wanted to park closer...as I step out of the Nitro, I immediately feel my left leg go skyward and backward I go...hitting my head solid on the ice covering the pavement...probably the hardest I have hit it since a bicycle wreck some 15 years ago...lucky for me, a young fellow board member, lawyer, and son of one of my best friends, saw my "crash", and headed over to help me out. I lay there for a few minutes...but being the "thick skulled" person I am {in more ways than one}, the damage appeared to be nothing more than a headache maker{which I still feel this morning}....Reminding Me, that After All I Still Hate Winter!. The older I get the more I hate it...without a doubt......but it still makes for "Purdy" photos on occasion:

Snowed Out First of Season 008.JPGSnowed Out First of Season 009.JPGSnowed Out First of Season 007.JPG
    Last edited by Hoot Gibson; 01-12-2016 at 01:16 PM.
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
    Growing up in South Florida "Snow Birds" as much as "Floridians" like to make fun of and scorn them, are the life blood of that state, along with criminals, mashers, Haitians, and other Illegal Trash...my little sister still lives in Naples and 92 year old mom and older brother live there in the after Christmas months....I never had desire to move back, although I do visit my old hometown of Venice and the relatives in both Naples, and Venice, on occasion....this winter will probably be the same.

However, after yesterday, wintering in the south, whether Southwest, such as southern Utah or Arizona, or even Everglades City, is getting to become more of an appeal.

After a couple of inches of snow on Sunday Night{snowed again last night, closing most schools, and I will be firing up the Snow Machine here shortly}, our first snow of the year...on top of ice, things got dicey walking...fast forward to Noonish on Monday. I had a Residential Home Board meeting, and the parking lot was full...so Board Prez, being the kind person I am, decides to park away from the building in case some of the female members wanted to park closer...as I step out of the Nitro, I immediately feel my left leg go skyward and backward I go...hitting my head solid on the ice covering the pavement...probably the hardest I have hit it since a bicycle wreck some 15 years ago...lucky for my young fellow board member, lawyer, and son of one of my best friends, saw my "crash", and headed over to help me out. I lay there for a few minutes...but being the "thick skulled" person I am {in more ways than one}, the damage appeared to be nothing more than a headache maker{which I still feel this morning}....Reminding Me, that After All I Still Hate Winter!. The older I get the more I hate it...without a doubt......but it still makes for "Purdy" photos on occasion:

Did you go through the NFL or Colligate Concussion protocol before continuing your normal activities? Be safe and hope the headache goes away!
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Yep, Wife and the young Lawyer both kept an eye on me....but I feel confident no major damage...anybody that has seen Hoot knows his Melon is pretty large for body size, and that is because of the "Thick Skull"

Hidden Content

March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary

Hoot. If you ever come down to the Sebring races let me know.
    Hoot Gibson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    Hoot. If you ever come down to the Sebring races let me know.
    Get that way on occasion, we let you know when I next head down..

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links