improvements on one of my rides
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: improvements on one of my rides

improvements on one of my rides

For two years I have been getting around locally, (within two miles of my house), on a wheelchair the VA gave me.
    It has been excellent exercise and has gotten me interested in other exercises too. Since I got it, it has had one fault.
    Going down hill I have had to hold it back as the front caster wheels tend to speed wobble, chatter, as soon as it gets above 6 mph
    most certainly above 7mph. This chattering of wheels is nearly enough to throw me out of the chair when it starts.
    I just thought it was natural to wheel chairs so I did nothing about it. I use the chair a lot and am now on my third set of caster wheels and third set of the big driving wheels too. I was bitching about the wheel chatter on a disability forum last week and one of the guys told how to adjust tension on the casters. So today I popped the hard rubber caps off of the caster swivels and saw a big 19mm nylock nut on each one. I used a socket to tighten each about a quarter turn, so that the caster still turned with my fingers but no longer flopped to either side by gravity when the front of the chair was lifted. I went down a long shallow hill to the bank at about 8 mph with no chatter. This was on a stretch where I usually had to hold back speed to prevent chatter. I was impressed. In the afternoon, I went the mile and a half to the coffee mill in the other direction.
    This had two uphill sections steeper than the morning ride. On the way back, down the steepest hill, I let her roll out. I was soon going better than about 12 mph with no chatter. I only held back a little to maintain steering control because of other traffic. I had enough momentum that I coasted about a hundred yards past the bottom of the hill before I had to start using my hands to propel the chair. Suffice to say that I am happy with the results.
    Gerry, grewen, Weebles and 7 others like this.
    Phelonius

Are those speeds estimates or is there some kind of speedometer on that thing?
    mhomadness and SanDue like this.

Excellant race-prep removing that pesky lateral run-out for improved high speed stability! Good job!
    VA doesn't get their stuff from Maserati, so there are lots of hgheri-tec but hgheri-dollar options out there. 3.jpg
    mhomadness and SanDue like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post

If he keeps that up, he will be wheelchair bound soon enough!!
    SanDue likes this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Good work Phelonius!
    Most every mechanical contrivance can be improved. Happy to see you upping the FUN & SAFETY factors in yours.
    Old MG cars ad slogan: "Safety Fast!"
    mhomadness likes this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Speed is guestimation but probably pretty close. My electric mobility scooter goes 8 1/2 mph measured by stop watch over known distance so I know what that speed is like.
    My wheelchair was going at least half again faster. It is an ordinary Quicky 2 chair, not one of the performance models like athletes use.
    If I could find my old GPS I could get a read on it.
    mhomadness likes this.
    Phelonius

Remember to clip some baseball cards into the spokes with clothespins. Loud pipes save lives.
    Twelve rules will get you through life with style.
    Hidden Content

my blog Hidden Content

My Rokon is as loud as a lawn mower now. I just took it out and it has an electronic speedometer on it. I rode it on a side street at different speeds trying for the felt speed of the wheel chair.
    Upon this re assessment I think my wheel chair on that down hill may have been exceeding 15 mph, and to think I was holding it back a bit for steering control. The mind boggles
    at those velocities. And after thinking how far it coasted after the bottom of the hill that higher speed makes more sense. Yeeeehaaa! If only I could hand power it that fast on the level ground. BTW cards with clothespins are no good. They hold back the speed.
    Phelonius

Quote Originally Posted by methamphetasaur View Post
    Are those speeds estimates or is there some kind of speedometer on that thing?
    GPS, I am sure he has it on. Missing a turn and winding up in the bottom of a canyon at night it is the beacon of hope. Joking aside, glad you have your wheels fixed up. A set I hope I never have to use. At least they get you out of the house. I had thought of making a system on a three wheeler that you could load right into the rear, lift up the tailgate, grab the handle bars, fire it up and go.
    SanDue and mhomadness like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links