Rain-X Endorsement
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Rain-X Endorsement

Rain-X Endorsement

Whether it be politicians or laundry soap few things in life deliver as promised.
    One exception seems to be Rain-X windshield treatment.
    A few days ago I replaced the windshield of my van and drove home untreated in moderately heavy rain. It was a sobering reminder of benefit of Rain-X which usually allows me to turn off my wipers at speeds above 40mph. Watching those wipers go back and forth was so boring and distracting compared to just enjoying seeing surface tension bead up the water and then the aerodynamic forces effortlessly stream all those droplets up and over the roof. Rain-X helps with keeping snow from sticking too as well as smashed grasshoppers in the summer. While not exactly "Bug-X" it does assist in keeping bug goo from turning into difficult to remove bug glue.
    I can recommend the original pure product it as one of the few "miracle in a can" products. Their other products like Fog-X, combo Rain-X and cleaner and windshield fluid seem less ineffective.

What other products do you folks enjoy?
    Last edited by Fred; 01-17-2016 at 10:17 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Whether it be politicians or laundry soap few things in life deliver as promised.
    One exception seems to be Rain-X windshield treatment.
    A few days ago I replaced the windshield of my van and drove home untreated in moderately heavy rain. It was a sobering reminder of benefit of Rain-X which usually allows me to turn off my wipers at speeds above 40mph. Watching those wipers go back and forth was so boring and distracting compared to just enjoying seeing surface tension bead up the water and then the aerodynamic forces effortlessly stream all those droplets up and over the roof. Rain-X helps with keeping snow from sticking too as well as smashed grasshoppers in the summer. While not exactly "Bug-X" it does assist in keeping bug goo from turning into difficult to remove bug glue.
    I can recommend the original pure product it as one of the few "miracle in a can" products. Their other products like Fog-X, combo Rain-X and cleaner and windshield fluid seem rather ineffective.

What other products do you folks enjoy?
    Although experiences vary, I would stake my reputation on the effectiveness of Rain-X windshield washer fluid. It must be used continuously though for maximum effect. If you forget and use regular washer fluid it will quickly destroy the effectiveness of the Rain-X that was used previously. I also use the windshield washer version of Rain-X on my helmet visor "inside and out". Water races off my visor, bugs wipe off with a dry cloth, and it seems to fog less as well. YMMV.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Something I've used for years to do a quick clean up on the bike while on a trip is Lemon Pledge. Spray some on the bugs that are splattered on the fairing, wait a few minutes and they wipe right off. I've used it a couple time on my shield but prefer to use plexus for that doesn't seem to build up as much.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Bud works very well for me..

I wouldn't touch it with a long stick, but if you guys want to gum up your windows that's okay with me.
    Phelonius

Quote Originally Posted by phelonius View Post
    I wouldn't touch it with a long stick, but if you guys want to gum up your windows that's okay with me.
    Occasionally I see comments like this and wonder how experiences can differ so much?

I drive roughly 50,000 miles a year and have for the past 14 years. In that time I have owned 8 different company vehicles and a half dozen of my own. I have used the orange Rain-X windshield washer fluid on/in all of them without a single negative experience. I have also used it on all of my game camera lenses, a few of my tablet screens, and both of my boys Oakley snowboarding goggles. Nothing but positive results......

Since I trust that some have had bad personal experiences I wonder what the factors were that contributed?

Tom
    littletommy and PecosBill like this.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

I love Rain-X! In fact, I want to put another coat of it in my windshield before I head out of here for Moab.

As for the gumming up, yes there is truth to that. My routine is that each Fall before the rain comes, I scrub the hell out of my windshield using Dawn dish detergent, and then again using regular glass cleaner. Then I apply a fresh coat of Rain-X, and I also put on fresh wiper blades. Following that routine, I've never had a gumming-up problem.

I also put it on my helmet visors... but, note, ONLY on the outside. Put it on the inside and it makes a mess of things (don't ask me how I know this). And I use the same cleaning regiment on the visors too -- Dawn is the answer. Since it's well known to remove wax, and Rain-X is essentially a wax, it works well in removing it completely.

Oh and I also use the Rain-X brand windshield washer, mainly for its winter qualities.
    PecosBill likes this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    I love Rain-X! In fact, I want to put another coat of it in my windshield before I head out of here for Moab.

As for the gumming up, yes there is truth to that. My routine is that each Fall before the rain comes, I scrub the hell out of my windshield using Dawn dish detergent, and then again using regular glass cleaner. Then I apply a fresh coat of Rain-X, and I also put on fresh wiper blades. Following that routine, I've never had a gumming-up problem.

I also put it on my helmet visors... but, note, ONLY on the outside. Put it on the inside and it makes a mess of things (don't ask me how I know this). And I use the same cleaning regiment on the visors too -- Dawn is the answer. Since it's well known to remove wax, and Rain-X is essentially a wax, it works well in removing it completely.

Oh and I also use the Rain-X brand windshield washer, mainly for its winter qualities.
    This is cool info BUT I ONLY use the windshield washer fluid and the water races of the treated surface. I have not used the "treatment" in over 10 years so I have no idea if that gum's up surfaces but the washer fluid does not.

Tom

I've used both (separately)... but my own experience says the actual treatment is better. I recall one massive rainstorm in the Bay Area that I drove home into back when I had my WRX. It was treated with Rain-X and I was still doing 65-70 on the freeway heading into the East Bay (from the Tracy area). Traffic around me had slowed to 40-ish because they couldn't see. I didn't even have my wipers on.

I miss that car.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Thumbs up for Rain x. My non-mechanical brother, called me a few years ago. Said he was on a 1.5 hour trip to Portland in a downpour and his suburban wipers stopped working. He was stopped at a gas station trying to fix his wipers with no luck. I suggested he walk inside the gas station store, buy some rain x and apply as directed. He called back a few hours later and said he could see better than ever, without wipers. Stuff just works.
    Fred, PecosBill and admiral like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links