• 1 Post By Gerry
  • 1 Post By methamphetasaur
  • 1 Post By SHAG
  • 3 Post By Peterb
  • 2 Post By littletommy
  • 1 Post By BillPacific

Thread: Nurburgring Crashes from 1970

Nurburgring Crashes from 1970

Cars, suspensions and tires sure have gotten better in the last 45 years...this cures me of any nostalgic cravings. Can you say "Trailing throttle oversteer"?
    Last edited by Fred; 01-20-2016 at 02:31 PM.
    admiral and BillPacific like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Boy oh boy... Thought the BMW's would have held on better. For the first part of the video the Fiats seemed to at least stay upright. The VW's were no surprise. What the hell,, no helmets for anyone in the cars? What a bunch of crazies, but then in 1970 people's skulls were thicker and brain function was less of a concern.
    Last edited by Gerry; 01-20-2016 at 05:37 PM.
    admiral likes this.
    Take care my Friend.........

While I've never actually driven around the nurburgring, I've done a few thousand laps in video games, and I think adenauer forst is one of the hardest corners on the track. It's uphill coming out of the fuchsrohre, and then it levels out just there at the corner so the suspension goes all light and you have no tire grip, at a roughly 90 degree left- so you have to make sure you scrub off enough speed before you turn because trail braking there will lead to this video exactly.
    Last edited by methamphetasaur; 01-20-2016 at 07:00 PM.
    BillPacific likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

40 plus years later. No crashes, sorry.......
    BillPacific likes this.
    Go like hell, You'll get there quicker!

2005 BMWR12GS Rock Red 106k miles
    2013 TW200 - 8k- miles
    2018 X-MAX - 6k- miles

Absolutely amazing how most of them anyways "just walked away" even with the doors falling off and no seat belts.

I had a guy pull a U turn on a highway right in front of me back in the 70's, and rolled my hot rod cherry VW bug going 55, 3 times, finally landing in a lettuce field outside of Salinas, CA, I walked away with a tiny scratch on one arm.

As the roll started, the left rear tire blew, and we went sideways at 55, then over and over again 3 times. The roof was caving in all around us, windows breaking, glass going everywhere and us spinning in circles trying to hold on for dear life...

Realizing the impending doom that was perhaps awaiting us at the finish of the crash, my friend said: "Thank You Jesus" accepting whatever was about to happen; I had enough time to say: "Amen" and then a few seconds later it was over. I had that tiny scratch, my friend nothing.

Does God take care of those who believe in him? You tell me...

I already know the answer to that one...
    You betcha he does.
    BillPacific and silverwing like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by methamphetasaur View Post
    While I've never actually driven around the nurburgring, I've done a few thousand laps in video games, and I think adenauer forst is one of the hardest corners on the track. It's uphill coming out of the fuchsrohre, and then it levels out just there at the corner so the suspension goes all light and you have no tire grip, at a roughly 90 degree left- so you have to make sure you scrub off enough speed before you turn because trail braking there will lead to this video exactly.

I lived one hour from the Nurburgring. I lived close to Bitburg Germany and used to ride north up to the track. I been out there on my Suzuki GSXR750 and my Ducati 996. The 998 I got when I got to the states and sold my 996 back to the Ducati dealer. One lap on the Nurburgring North Loop which is shown in the video was about $14. The formula new track is next to this old CLASSIC GP track. When your out there on the track during the public sessions you can lap in anything that is street legal. Sometimes there are tour buses out there with motorcycles and Porche racing around. The corner your talking about I think is where I shot off into the dirt on the Suzuki and the tail end whipping left and right but got lucky not to crash. You can't tell that corner is coming till its too late. As much as I like to go fast when you get out on that track my biggest concern was get hit by over aggressive automobiles drivers. The other problem was grip in certain areas. The Northern Loop "Nordschleife" is a very long lap and staying focus, up to speed and avoiding getting hit is a full time job on busy days.
    Last edited by BillPacific; 01-22-2016 at 02:34 AM.
    admiral likes this.

Sponosred Links