Music lovers Technical question?
Close

Music lovers Technical question?

OK, So I am a novice with this stuff but usually work it out. Bear with me on this if you are computer savvy.

I have a small MP3 player and in Windows Media player I ripped a bunch of my CDs to my music folder and then transferred the music to my MP3 player. Works fine and love it. I had to rip the CDs in the MP3 format and all the music is still on my hard drive in the my music folder.

My wife just got a small I Pod very similar to my MP3 player and wants some of my music installed on it. The I Pod uses a different format and I think I have to go through I Tunes to load the music in it.

Here is the question. Do I have to rip all the CDs again into I Tunes or can I change or sync the CDs already in My Music folder to the I tunes format some other way. I just don't understand this Format stuff. When I ripped the CDs to my folder in the MP3 format is the music different than if it was loaded in the I Pod format which would mean I have to do it all again?

Thanks

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Bump! Was hoping that one of you tech guys could give me some guidance on this. Computers and gadgets usually mess with my skill set because a wrench and a screw driver are useless.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Gary,
    an ipod will work just fine with the mp3 files you created, ad long as there is no digital rights management on them( IE downloaded from a paid source). You simply need to import them in to itunes and then copy them to your device.

Here is an tech note from apple that should help.
    https://support.apple.com/kb/PH12485?locale=en_US

There are also other alternatives that you can use other than itunes. Google "manage ipod without itunes" and you will get a lot of hits.

Let me know how you make out and if you have any questions.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Thanks JB. My wife has a 2013 Rav 4 with the fancy radio that shows the USB port connection and works fine with her IPod. It will not play the music from my Eclipse MP3 player though. Says it cannot read the files. In my new 4 Runner the Eclipse MP3 shows right up and plays great and it also plays the IPod great.

Getting all the music from my computer to the IPod is what I am trying to do but when I ripped all of my CDs to the computer I had to do it in the MP3 format. This is what I don't understand because in ITunes you don't use that MP3 format when ripping from a CD. The question is, will music ripped into my computer in the MP3 format transfer to Itunes or Anapod and be able to go into the IPod?

GaryL

Itunes when ripping a cd will use the AAC format instead of MP3. AAC is not apple specific, its just a newer format that was designed to replace MP3. Here is a list of formats that any ipod device will read.
    "Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV"

MP3 is on that list and any ipod and itunes will read and play them. I have a ton of MP3 formatted music on my iphone and it works just fine.

If you are having trouble i would double check your music and make sure its in MP3 format. If you used windows media player to "rip" them there is a possibility they may be in the "WMA" format which is a microsoft format that the ipod cannot read, other music devices may or may not be able to depending on the device. Its easy enough to tell by looking at the file extension in windows. If its .wma you will need to redo it or get a program that will convert it to AAC or MP3 to use it on an ipod.
    Last edited by jb882; 01-26-2016 at 06:44 AM.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

OK, I did use windows media player when loading all my CDs in and in the format window I clicked MP3. I will try the double click and see what that tells me. I would think that because I did click MP3 that that is the format it was done in. Should be at my desk top in an hour or so.

Thanks for the help!

GaryL

Sponosred Links