How to deal with an obstinate insurance company?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: How to deal with an obstinate insurance company?

How to deal with an obstinate insurance company?

I'm hoping somebody here might have some useful suggestions...

Long story short... my RV got hit in a parking lot recent. There's a nice gouge almost half the length of of the right side of the trailer. I wasn't around to see how it happened, so that's all I know.

My insurance is Progressive. They're doing their best to cheap out on the repair. They INSIST that "two reputable repair shops" have said they can patch it for $6k. The shop I'm at, that has a reputation for doing it RIGHT, says that''ll never hold and they've repaired dozens of similar patch jobs. The only proper repair is to replace the entire right sidewall. The estimate price is $18k. He even offered to cut most of his profit out of it to $15k. Progressive is holding firm and flat refuses to work with me at all. I've told them I will not settle for a patch come hell or high water.

I've already called the Oregon Insurance Commission and they were worthless. It's starting to sound like my only real avenue may be to find a lawyer.

So I thought I'd post here and see if the collective knows anything I can use to my advantage.

Thanks!

Rob
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Thanks Mike.

FWIW, he's not my boss and it didn't happen here. I had the trailer out for a test run and stopped for supplies and was hit during that time. Teach me to ever bother leaving, huh?

Yeah I've been working on them for the last hour and they still aren't budging. One thing is for sure... they will no longer be my insurance company for ANY reason once I'm done with this crap.
    TWilight likes this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

So, I spoke to another repair shop... the one in Reno that has worked on my trailer before. I sent them the photos. They agree that a patch is NOT how to fix it. So I'll be having Progressive talk to them tomorrow about it.
    TWilight likes this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    So, I spoke to another repair shop... the one in Reno that has worked on my trailer before. I sent them the photos. They agree that a patch is NOT how to fix it. So I'll be having Progressive talk to them tomorrow about it.
    I was an adjuster and worked for Insurance companies for 20+ years in various roles. You have a dispute resolution process built in to your policy. You can have the issue decided by a third party, where you present your experts opinion and they present theirs. I would suggest you ask if their preferred shop offers a lifetime warranty (national) on the repair. That would be the best option long term IMO. I handled lots of repairs and warranties. I will tell you, panel replacements have their own set of potential issues. The shop has more like 50% gross margin on the panel replacement, so they are still seeing a larger net profit on the repair.
    TWilight likes this.

Here's an idea;
    What if that side was hit a second time from a hit-n-run to where the damage was significant enough that the whole side would need to be replaced as you wanted in the first place?
    (wink, wink)
    Wouldn't that be a shame? Or worse, what if the RV were totaled in the same fashion it was damaged earlier? Wonder how Progressive would like those apples?

California may have it's problems, but getting forced to get a repair at their selected shop is not one of them. Here, the policy holder has the right to take their vehicle anywhere they want to get it repaired. We do not have an obligation to take it to where the insurance company wants us too. 3 independent quotes for repair is not needed, but helps when submitting the claim.
    Last edited by Ski Pro 3; 02-10-2016 at 08:19 PM.
    TWilight and jtstdub like this.
    The bear slayer!

Heh, I actually asked them that on the phone... what if the damage had been all the way down the side. They said they'd still just do a repair. They seem set on NOT replacing the sidewall.

We'll see how things proceed tomorrow after I tell them I found one of their own recommended shops says to replace the whole sidewall.
    TWilight likes this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

Mike... interesting point. I'll go have a closer look and discuss with the shop about that.

BTW the exterior frame is aluminum.. the chassis is steel of course, but the sidewalls are aluminum. The roof, however, is still wood. The interior walls are also wood-framed.

It's a Keystone... well-known (didn't know when I bought it) to be one of the most poorly-built trailers on the market.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

A junk yard dog of a lawyer that specializes in insurance welchers.
    TWilight likes this.
    Phelonius

They're coming out again next week to re-evaluate. They confirmed that the Reno shop would replace the whole sidewall, while claiming that they (the insurance company) saw them do a repair on one a year ago. So they're still insisting on a repair (patch).

So, we have just such a lawyer lined up in case things don't change pretty soon. A customer of the shop used this same lawyer successfully in going after another insurer just this last year over a similar situation.
    Mel, TWilight and kj7687 like this.
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    They're coming out again next week to re-evaluate. They confirmed that the Reno shop would replace the whole sidewall, while claiming that they (the insurance company) saw them do a repair on one a year ago. So they're still insisting on a repair (patch).

So, we have just such a lawyer lined up in case things don't change pretty soon. A customer of the shop used this same lawyer successfully in going after another insurer just this last year over a similar situation.
    Typically you will not use a lawyer, the contract has an arbitration clause. You will each have a professional appraiser present the opinions and an arbitrater (usually a retired judge or a state approved third party) will review the facts as presented. It is a first party claim me contract, regulated by the state. Almost all insurance contracts will have the same language and process in a given state. It can be relatively quick. You will bear the cost of your professionals opinion. I would suggest you not use a shop doing the repairs, they will generally not be as professional in this scenario or perceived as in impartial industry expert. Just trying to help with my experience and knowledge as opposed to opinion. I have not worked as an adjuster in CA, so the process could be slightly different. By the way insurance companies are not afraid of attorneys, especially not in property claims. The cost will be all on you.
    TWilight likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links