In the presence of greatness...
Close

Like Tree13Likes
  • 10 Post By mudbug
  • 1 Post By LittleTen
  • 2 Post By Fred

Thread: In the presence of greatness...

In the presence of greatness...

This past deer season was special for my son, though i didnt realize how special until last night.
    He spent weekend after weekend planting oats and such getting food plots ready, setting up stands, and hanging out around the campfire listening to the most fascinating stories. He would come home telling me all about how kind and nice and smart "hondo" was. How he would let dagen drive him around on the kabota, and go on walks around the pond together. The man he described was humble and attentive. I knew he was ex military and in poor health, but that was the extent of my knowledge when it came to his "hunting buddies.". (this was my dad's dept. not mine)
    Two days ago, we received the call that hondo had passed. And then i saw the news. I am officially speechless. My son spent months with one of the greatest military minds of our time, just hanging out, having a good time. I am so grateful and shocked and amazed. We had no idea he was in the presence of greatness, but then again, i think dagen always knew...

Retired Army general from Shreveport dies - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports
    Last edited by mudbug; 02-11-2016 at 08:56 AM.
    admiral, Purple, TWilight and 7 others like this.
    Hidden Content not my circus - not my monkeys Hidden Content

That's cool!!
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Thanks for the FYI. Regret to hear of this. I remember the name now. Well known to us in DoD/RRAD, back what seems like just a few short years ago.
    Lomax likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Your son was fortunate to know such a man. Good people can have a lasting positive influence that we are sometimes unaware of.
    Lomax and Hidebound like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

I wonder what the General died from at age 68?
    Viet Nam related?
    Great experience for your son!
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Your son was fortunate to know such a man. Good people can have a lasting positive influence that we are sometimes unaware of.
    I couldn't agree more. My son will be attending the memorial for not only Hondo, but for the rest of the family as well. They are truly remarkable people that have changed my son's life over these past 6 months in ways that will continue to benefit him for the rest of his life.
    Hidden Content not my circus - not my monkeys Hidden Content

Sponosred Links