• 2 Post By rbm
  • 2 Post By littletommy
  • 4 Post By GaryL
  • 5 Post By GaryL
  • 1 Post By Dryden-Tdub
  • 3 Post By Dryden-Tdub

Thread: "Not my bike" ......

"Not my bike" ......

https://tw200forum.com/forum/technica...k-problem.html - (for instance) ......

The suspense is killing me — not that my “ego” needs to be sated one way or the other — it’s just that I’m (more than) aware that this is someone else’s bike.

I wonder how many others on here feel the same way — “responsible” somehow ……..

(In this example) - Is it the CDI ? — will the CDI (second hand) work ? — or will we be left looking foolish ?

At any moment in time, we can collectively or individually be left carrying the can (figuratively speaking) for our mistakes — but it’s the owners who ultimately follow our advice, or choose to ignore it, who end up paying the real cost.

Only here, on this forum, have I chosen to “advise others” — maybe it’s because I felt the need to “give something back” to a place where I have gained so much from — or perhaps it’s the knowledge and instincts from over 25 years of my personal two wheeled mayhem perhaps uniquely suited to the TW that leads me to share …….

And yet — it’s “not my bike” that’s at stake here — and I can never forget that.

How do you guys cope with that ? — The feeling of “responsibility ? …………..
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post

The suspense is killing me — not that my “ego” needs to be sated one way or the other — it’s just that I’m (more than) aware that this is someone else’s bike.

(In this example) - Is it the CDI ? — will the CDI (second hand) work ? — or will we be left looking foolish ?

At any moment in time, we can collectively or individually be left carrying the can (figuratively speaking) for our mistakes — but it’s the owners who ultimately follow our advice, or choose to ignore it, who end up paying the real cost.

Only here, on this forum, have I chosen to “advise others” — maybe it’s because I felt the need to “give something back” to a place where I have gained so much from — or perhaps it’s the knowledge and instincts from over 25 years of my personal two wheeled mayhem perhaps uniquely suited to the TW that leads me to share …….

And yet — it’s “not my bike” that’s at stake here — and I can never forget that.

I am a democrat so no such feelings of responsibility exist

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

rbm
    Quote Originally Posted by dryden-tdub View Post
    i am a democrat so no such feelings of responsibility exist

tom
    lol!!!
    toslow and Leisure Time Larry like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

All we can do is give suggestions and usually there are many. It's up the owner after that. We did our best and gave our best advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post

1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Dryden-Tdub View Post
    I am a democrat so no such feelings of responsibility exist

Tom
    Yeah, When Donkey's fly!

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

How to determine who you will trust for the advice you seek is probably the most important decision you can make here on the forum. Most of us who are "Regulars" have our Go To members on the various issues we all have from time to time. Just tossing out some little possibilities in regards to a particular issue are welcomed on all fronts but when a real technical issue arises it is always best to ask more questions and to judge from the others inputs just what advice you will follow. There is no way to know for sure and from a long way away if the advice you are getting is good or bad. All members here should be diligent when giving or taking any advice, if you don't know the exact answer then leave it to those who do and also pay attention to the follow up posts because most of us will either correct or discount bad info even if it causes some tiff. One need not be a Master Mechanic to direct a member to a possible fix but don't just take it for granted that what you read is the gospel. I know a couple real Master Mechanics that I would not let near my machine with a wrench or screw driver so it is up to all of us to do our own homework or at the very least tread lightly when in doubt. Some things that work great for me may not work so great for you and it is real hard to diagnose issues when all we have to go by is from a sparse description from a member who may not even know how to ask the question.

GaryL
    Dryden-Tdub, Mel, TWilight and 2 others like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

As both Mike and Gary have so eloquently stated it is in fact a joint effort by both the advice givers and those that post technical questions to the general forum. I enjoy posting on any number of topics and can be sucked into virtually any thread. You will not find me giving mechanical advice, ever, unless I am 100 percent positive. I sleep really well knowing that I have not caused anybody needless work just to find out I am functionally illiterate

Tom
    TWilight likes this.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by orpiks1 View Post
    When seeking advice, be sure you understand and concur that the advice is sound. Blindly following advice, gets you what you deserve. Hopefully....

Asking for advice usually is asking for knowledge, not a solution. I'm careful to only answer polite requests for knowledge. Feeling responsible is not possible. How can you possibly confirm the idiot, student even followed your advice, let alone understand it?

Welcome to the jungle orpiks1.

Now that the niceities are out of the way, you state you only answer politely asked questions but then refer to the questioner as an "idiot" who gets what he deserves? Tough crowd.

Tom

He sounds like a high school teacher>>orpiks1.

Not if you read that nick backwards
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Sponosred Links