(New?) Cali DMV policy.
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Yesterday we were out riding, stopped for gas using an ATM card I keep for the purpose. " Card denied." Piles of munny in there, so no reason for it. We used her card instead.

Arrived home and found an interesting piece of mail from the friendly folks at the bank. It seems the People's Republik of Kalifornia is outta munny, and I'd inadvertently allowed one of my bikes ' registrations to expire. They had my accounts tied up until they not only extracted the fees and late charges but a $90 "legal" fee. They also included a note advising me to seek legal counsel if I had an issue with the fees or the manner in which they were collected. $250 later my accounts were freed up. against what was originally a $63 registration fee.

In the past if you failed to meet the deadline you were free and clear until you showed up to pay their ridiculous fees, plus the 100% late fees, etc., yadayada. I have as many as 12 registered vehicles and every year at least one of them escapes my notice and I pony up. Gotten useta that. I've got a few bikes that I've chosen to no longer register, whether they be long-term projects, formerly street legal bikes that I only use on my property. etc. In the past they simply fell off the books after a few years and Cali simply forgot about them. Then they stayed on the books for five years. Then ten. Now I hear they'll never fall off. I assume Cali will now attempt to one-by-one sieze my assets for these as well. At this point in the state's history I'm a little nervous about the library book I returned late back in third grade. Cali's annual "non-op" fee is nearly the cost of registering a bike for the road, in exchange for the privilege of not driving it on the road.

Just a headsup, if you've got unregistered stuff you're sitting on they're gunna nail ya. If for example you pulled a streetbike off the road years ago to build a dedicated track bike, watch out. You could be looking at thousands confiscated from your assets with Cali's exponential penalty fee structure.

Before the dinks come out of the woodwork. yes, I realize I shoulda payed it in a timely manner. This is just a headsup on Cali's procedural change.

I don't do political rants on a motorcycle site. Today would most definitely NOT be a real good day to start.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I'm in the same boat as you, too many registered on and off-road vehicles to keep track of and once in a while I forget to pay one as well, though I've never heard of this happening before! How long had the registration been over-due would be the only question I have. Had it been just a matter of months? I think I need to go and do a "tag-check" on my fleet today just to be sure the same fate does not befall me. Thanks for the heads-up!

Kevin
    '04 TW - Ricochet skid plate, IMS pegs, Odyssey battery, Seat Concepts seat, wide front tire. Geared low N' Slow Hidden Content

Honda Grom
    KTM 990 Adventure

The 2nd Ammendment exists for a reason.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kev250R View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you, too many registered on and off-road vehicles to keep track of and once in a while I forget to pay one as well, though I've never heard of this happening before! How long had the registration been over-due would be the only question I have. Had it been just a matter of months? I think I need to go and do a "tag-check" on my fleet today just to be sure the same fate does not befall me. Thanks for the heads-up!

Kevin

Tags exired Feb. 1.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Oh great. When I moved to WA in 1992 I stored my boat in a garage for a year. I figure if it is not visible from the street, it doesn't have to be registered. I started getting letters saying that I owed property tax to CA for 1993 which laughed at and ignored.

In 2003 it shows up as a ding on my credit report. Apparently the credit reporting agencies also look up public records. I am sure this is going to be a huge hassle to clear up if I ever move back. Like that will ever happen.

I wonder what kind of fees they would try to get me for after 20 years!

Mark
    '10 Truimph Bonneville Std.

That's the reason for the 2nd Ammendment.

Better get that boat out of California, then write letters of explanation to the credit agencies to be provided with the credit report.

If we're doing it you can damned well bet that it's coming soon to a state near you.

Our idjits must be getting smarter. Usually they have to be taught these tactics by certain northeastern states before they trickle over here.

Reg'lar cut and paste artistes, that bunch.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Better get that boat out of California, then write letters of explanation to the credit agencies to be provided with the credit report.

Whoops, I guess I wasn't clear. I brought the boat with me and stored it up here in Washington. It wasn't even in California during the time they are saying I owe property tax on it. But it wasn't registered in WA so I don't know if I can prove it.

The ding on the credit report stays on there for 7 years. It was just removed this year.

I guess I just can never move back. Darn.

Mark
    '10 Truimph Bonneville Std.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark In WA View Post
    Whoops, I guess I wasn't clear. I brought the boat with me and stored it up here in Washington. It wasn't even in California during the time they are saying I owe property tax on it. But it wasn't registered in WA so I don't know if I can prove it.

The ding on the credit report stays on there for 7 years. It was just removed this year.

I guess I just can never move back. Darn.

Mark

Hmmm? California will never secede. Maybe it can be expelled.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Hmmm? California will never secede. Maybe it can be expelled.

Be nice to us or we'll force you to live on oatmeal year 'round .

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links