living in sin
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: living in sin

living in sin

okay, so on a previous post I stated that I do not live in sin, an acronym for "social interactive networking".

Social interactive networking is incredibly popular. Probably the largest social interactive network by far is Facebook. I do not belong to Facebook. There are many reasons I do not belong to Facebook, or one of the many others sin networks.

For starters, interacting in a forum like Facebook will consume huge amounts of time… Before you know it you have friends upon friends upon friends… A huge ever-expanding circle of friends. And even if you rein it in, your friends have friends and so it just keeps going on. That brings me to my next point, the privacy thing. Even if you have all your privacy settings on, the friends that you do have will have friends and inevitably some of the content that you post will get shared with those friends. So privacy? Not happening. Sure, you can exercise more control and try to police things up, but that just even eats up more of your time.

Social interactive networks are also used as a platform for anyone to express their viewpoint. It goes without saying that not everyone's viewpoint is everyone else's viewpoint. Ergo conflict. On a site like Facebook, you will get a huge cross-section of the public and it will vary from one extreme to the other. Extreme against extreme will create particularly nasty and venomous dialogues. Sometimes these are legitimate, often times though they are just a means of baiting people and pissing people off. As the saying goes, "don't feed the trolls". There's a reason they live under bridges, or in their mother's basement, etc. and yes, it's obvious that depending on the social interactive network policies and controllers, certain viewpoints will be judged more critically, and who gets to post what will not be an equal ground.

social interactive networking is certainly nothing new. It most likely has been around as long as there has been a language… It certainly precedes the computer. Some of us are old enough to remember partyline telephones… Although that was more of an eavesdropping situation, in it's own strange way it provided a means to create a social interactive network. We can all think of many other examples.

So how to conclude this? My social interactive network is this trailway forum. It's the only online forum that I belong to. I enjoy it a lot, and yes it eats up a lot of my time… Social interactive networking is somewhat addictive. I guess if I wanted to conclude this with one main point that point would be that any social interactive network that you belong to will have its themes, rules, and biases. Almost everyone who uses a social interactive network knows this, and knows what to expect. Oh yes, and one should always have the saltshaker handy, the proverbial grain of salt… Nuf said, m.
    Last edited by mhomadness; 02-23-2016 at 10:43 PM. Reason: spelling error
    SanDue, troll, HermanJohn and 7 others like this.

Some of us are old enough to remember partyline telephones…
    Ugh. May I never, ever have to use those again. Nothin' like picking up to make a call and get an earful of a conversation that you just didn't want (or need) to hear
    '01 TW200, '03 Z1000, '09 KLR 650, '13 CRF250L

So if you belong to fakebook you are sinful.
    mhomadness likes this.
    Phelonius

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

So if you belong to fakebook you are sinful.
    Sinful, an acronym for "social interactive networking full of luv".

Phelonius, that is an entirely different type of "Interactive" site. m.

I was told facebook is for old people, snapchat is where all the cool kids hang out.
    mhomadness likes this.

I refuse to use Facebook for many of the same reasons the OP stated. I am, however, on Twitter, because I've made a lot of friends there. I'm also very aware that everything I say is public so I try to make sure everything I say is as offensive as possible. :-p
    '12 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
    '96 Suzuki DR650
    '92 Yamaha TW200
    Hidden Content - Organize your rides online!

Oh, I love all the "sin"ful stuff....facebook, twitter, instagram, etc, the list goes on..
    How else is everyone going to know how great I am? And how will I know how messed up the rest of the world is?!?!?!?
    Besides, facebook comes in really handy around the holidays to know which personality certain family members are bringing to the party....
    Are they the poor victim who needs everyone to understand how horrible their life is?
    Are they are righteous God fearing do-no-wronger who thinks we are all going to hell for not going to the same church as they do?
    Or maybe they are going to be the PTSD suffering, bipolar, multiple personality, pot smoking vegetarian who starts drinking at 11 AM, so I should make sure that I have plenty of celery, alcohol, and soothing music when they show up.
    So you see how important it is? Without social media I wouldn't have anything to measure how great my life is or to know which of my friends or family members have completely lost their minds...
    OK So maybe I'm being a bit facetious.
    I do have a facebook page but I spend way more time on this forum than I do on facebook. If family members (other than the Admiral) were on this forum I'd probably have to leave.
    admiral and mhomadness like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    I refuse to use Facebook for many of the same reasons the OP stated. I am, however, on Twitter, because I've made a lot of friends there. I'm also very aware that everything I say is public so I try to make sure everything I say is as offensive as possible. :-p
    I resemble that remark Hoot Sez: "If I can't piss off at least one Liberal a Day, I consider that Day Wasted"
    Hoot's Ride Slide Show Music Videos

Hidden Content

TW Adventure Rides Completed
    March 2015 Moab: With 30 TW Forum Friends..
    Summer 2015 Great Lakes, Wisconsin, UP of Michigan, With Borneo and Montezuma
    November 2015: SE Ohio/West Virginia w/ Borneo and Montezuma
    March 2016: Big Bend NP in South Texas w/ Montezuma, Borneo, Ebbanflood and FW Gary
    August 2016: Montezuma and Hoot's Covered Bridge Ride in Southern Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Admiral View Post
    OK So maybe I'm being a bit facetious.

No she's not!

If family members (other than the Admiral) were on this forum I'd probably have to leave.

Yes she would because...see the answer to above statement.

... _ _ .. ._.. .
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

As my old West Virginia buddy would say, sounds like Ms. Admiral is a "hard dog to keep under the porch"!
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links