A lesson learned?
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree99Likes

Thread: A lesson learned?

A lesson learned?

Unusual insight, not advice; Seems in the beginning, none of us were handed a manual. Likely as not, very few of us would have read it anyway.

A few years ago, I made a move towards early retirement. It was not that I was financially comfortable, but simply put, I could no longer deal with some of my co-workers. The economy was at a low and many, understandably were concerned about lay-offs and financial ruin. In such situations (them or me) folks react differently. Some are more inclined to point a finger at the ‘other guy’. My observation has generally been, generally speaking, no one is without fault and it is best to focus on doing our best. As the situation worsened, I asked to be laid-off else I might be inclined to provide some 2x4 therapy to the ‘weaker’ of our flock.

Fast forward a year or so. While looking for a new job in a depressed economy, I whittled away the hours by rebuilding fences and other home improvement projects. Given my 401K savings, I was able to continue with my companies health insurance at the tune of $560 a month. This was a godsend really because of some respiratory issues, no company at the time would write me a policy (+1 for the current option).

A couple years ago, I had been digging a few fence holes. I woke up the morning of my birthday and after a couple of cups of coffee, I decided to make a breakfast out of a few of the large chocolate chip cookies my Sister sent me. Life was grand, almost. An hour or so after, I noted a numbness on much of my left side. Leg, hand and it seemed a bit of my face. Shit, this seemed more than a bit odd. As well, I was very familiar with the term stroke and heart attack. As with most of us that have spent our lives carrying around two testicles, we have been conditioned to react in a very analytical manner; problem, lets think about it. Solution, not yet; lets think about it some more. As all these sensations were a first for me, the thought process involved some computer research and a shower.

Sometimes, exhaling for the last time seems like a blessing. What I have discovered is, in times like these, intellect accounts for NOTHING…. You are pre-programed to save the ‘shell’ that your riding buddies love/hate.
    I decided to head off to visit my primary care doctor some 14 miles away. By this time, my brain conjured up a rather disconcerting scenario; like dying at the wheel and crashing into a school bus. Seemed best to stop at an immediate care clinic two blocks away. When I walked in, I suggested to the young lady at the counter that I might be having a stroke. Instead of the usual 45 minute wait, a doctor arrived PRONTO and quickly reviewed my symptoms. I told him what seemed to be going on. His reply suggested that it certainly could be a stroke and it was best if he called 911. Shit, an ambulance and likely a $3500 bill right out the gate. Being the man that I am (remember (testicles)) I opted to drive myself the 6 miles to the hospital.

Long story short, it may have walked like a duck. Simply put, it was an odd set of stuff that set this all in motion.
    Likely, the chocolate cookies that I had for ‘breakfast’ created a very odd (for me) sugar imbalance. As well, the post hole digging impacted some major nerve in my neck the numbed, so some extent, my left side. Was relieved when the emergency room doctor suggested I was ‘ok’. I was flabbergasted when I got the $ 8500 bill. Please do not mistake this post as a rant against the high cost of health care. It was a bit of a learning experience.

Case in point; Last few days I had been working hard getting my roof ready for some major work. While having lunch yesterday, I was fidgeting about and had a very pronounce ‘jab’ on the left side of my chest/shoulder. My chest became tight and I seemed to have a harder time getting a full breath. Now truth be told, I have asthma and emphysema (never smoked). As well, I may have been fighting off my Wife’s cold for the last couple of days. In my brain, I had visions of my wife coming home to a bloated body. In these situations, some very primitive part of your brain is activated. Seems it listens little to reason. Being ‘once burned and twice shy’ but still having two testicles, thought the best plan would be to drive to the hospital and sit on the bench outside of the emergency room. I should have been a rocket scientist huh? Well, it was a very nice day and I got to say hi to a few nurses. Walked around a bit, but could not be sure if I was close enough to death to shell out $8500 again. After about an hour and a half, I drove home. Stupid, maybe…..

When I got home, I was spent and still anxious. Climbed into bed, curled up with one of my little dogs and left the rest to the good lord. When Saskia arrived home from work I shared my experience and indicated that I was inclined to continue my nap.

When I awoke this morning I still felt very fatigued and the right side of my chest was still very tight. My computer research the day before suggested that should I have been having a stroke/heart attack, waiting this long would be a REAL BIG NEGATIVE…… In my book, spending a shit load of money only to be told the situation was the result of other issues was not exactly a ‘big’ plus.

Now I get to the epiphany, at least in my book; This can be a life or death situation so you don’t want to screw around. As well, it would be nice to minimize the financial trauma as most of us have little experience with strokes/heart attacks. This morning after getting an OK blood pressure reading at 7 a.m. at the grocery store two blocks away, I decide to confer with my motorcycle riding barber, who, as it turns out, has had a heart attack. He suggested that the discomfort REALLY stands out. Yet it seems his testicles suggested he go to the hospital the next day…

Here is my new plan. DON’T BE STUPID… Next time I will go straight to an ‘Immediate care/walk in’ clinic. I will NOT say, ‘I think I am having a heart attack/stroke’. Once in the door, I can rest assured they have oxygen, a defibrillator and a phone to call 911. I will tell them I am feeling odd and describe the symptoms. With this info, today they took my blood pressure, O/2 reading, listened to my breathing and did an EKG. The results of all those tests suggested that my heart was ok. Yes, my chest ‘pain’ was real, but likely more attributed to some contorted moves involved in removing flashing on the edge of my roof coupled with unique eating posture. The extra effort with my breathing possibly was more attributed to asthma brought on by the warm weather pre-Spring pollen.

Anyway, for me at least, a bill from a walk-in clinic will likely be thousands less than what my last emergency room visit cost, and again, it was a false alarm.

PLEASE DON’T MISUNDERSTAND!! Don’t stick your head in the sand, seek help. Should you have this option, you can act swiftly, and be in capable hands. If it is not what you feared, you may save a bit of money.
    Last edited by Gerry; 02-27-2016 at 04:47 PM.
    LuvNot, SanDue, Rhodetrip and 3 others like this.
    Take care my Friend.........

rbm
    Are you feeling OK now Gerry?
    TWilight and SanDue like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Unusual insight, not advice; Seems in the beginning, none of us were handed a manual. Likely as not, very few of us would have read it anyway.

A few years ago, I made a move towards early retirement. It was not that I was financially comfortable, but simply put, I could no longer deal with some of my co-workers. The economy was at a low and many, understandably were concerned about lay-offs and financial ruin. In such situations (them or me) folks react differently. Some are more inclined to point a finger at the ‘other guy’. My observation has generally been, generally speaking, no one is without fault and it is best to focus on doing our best. As the situation worsened, I asked to be laid-off else I might be inclined to provide some 2x4 therapy to the ‘weaker’ of our flock.

Fast forward a year or so. While looking for a new job in a depressed economy, I whittled away the hours be rebuilding fences and other home improvement projects. Given my 401K savings, I was able to continue with my companies health insurance at the tune of $560 a month. This was a godsend really because of some respiratory issues, no company at the time would write me a policy (+1 for the current option).

A couple years ago, I had been digging a few fence holes. I woke up the morning of my birthday and after a couple of cups of coffee, I decided to make a breakfast out of a few of the large chocolate chip cookies my Sister sent me. Life was grand, almost. An hour or so after, I noted a numbness on much of my left side. Leg, hand and it seemed a bit of my face. Shit, this seemed more than a bit odd. As well, I was very familiar with the term stroke and heart attack. As with most of us that have spent our lives carrying around two testicles, we have been conditioned to react in a very analytical manner; problem, lets think about it. Solution, not yet; lets think about it some more. As this all these sensations were a first for me, the thought process involved some computer research and a shower.

Sometimes, exhaling for the last time seems like a blessing. What I have discovered is, in times like these, intellect accounts for NOTHING…. You are preprogramed to save the ‘shell’ that your riding buddies love/hate.
    I decided to head off the visit my primary care doctor some 14 miles away. By this time, my brain conjured up a rather disconcerting scenario; like dying at the wheel and crashing into a school bus. Seemed best to stop at an immediate care clinic two blocks away. When I walked in, I suggested to the young lady at the counter that I my be having a stroke. Instead of the usual 45 minute wait, a doctor arrived PRONTO and quickly reviewed my symptoms. I told him what seemed to be going on. His reply suggested that it certainly could be a stroke and it was best if he called 911. Shit, an ambulance and likely a $3500 bill right out the gate. Being the man that I am (remember (testicles)) I opted to drive myself the 6 miles to the hospital.
    Long story short, it may have walked like a duck. Simply put, it was simply an odd set of stuff that set this all in motion.

Well I for one am thankful you are still around to post nude selfies... Well not so much the nude selfies but, well, you know what I mean.

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    This....is disconcerting
    He has added a lot of info to the original post. I think he is Ok but would feel much better if he would chime in some more........

You alright now Gerry?

Tom
    SanDue likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

rbm
    Hoe about now Gerry?
    SanDue likes this.

Good advice Gerry! Don't wait and don't be bashful if symptoms are chest pain or the like. It's OK to initiate your own triage, "Nurse, think I'm having a stroke"

Now for the important stuff: How are you doing now Gerry?
    Last edited by Fred; 02-26-2016 at 08:02 PM.
    mhomadness, TWilight and SanDue like this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

???2 I hpoe your ok..
    TWilight and SanDue like this.

Didn't mean for this to be a cliffhanger. Yes, it seems that what I was dealing with was neither a stroke nor a heart attack. As far a being ok, seems all that can change in an instant. At this point in time, it is a thumbs up. I have always thought, the more we share, the easier we may make it for someone else.
    Take care my Friend.........

Good,what a relief!
    Glad we didn't have to send out the unicorns to rescue you from ICU.
    Last edited by Fred; 02-26-2016 at 08:02 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

VERY good advise Gerry, I really like your idea about going to the / your local walk-in health center & explaining you don't feel well & let the Doc check you out... Save your life, & save your $$!

Glad you are feeling better, Whew!! m.
    Last edited by mhomadness; 02-26-2016 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Gerry's feel'n better!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links