Do you Art?
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Do you Art?

Do you Art?

Did the following as a gift for my step mother. It's a portrait of her mother, referenced from a camera-phone picture taken years ago. It's weird to fall back on art as a present, but honestly, it's so difficult to buy something for parents when they've passed the age of retirement and are actively transitioning into the age of 'downsizing'.

MrsEaton_03-13-2016.jpg

I feel really good about this since this is the first time I've used Copic pens (OMG THEY ARE DA BOMB!!!), and I haven't done portrait work in years.

There's no real point to this post. Just wanted to share a bit of artistic stuff.

Anyone else out there an artist? Show us your stuff.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

I am not. I do enjoy others artistic talents though. I will have to look up those Copic pens?

Tom
    littletommy, LuvNot and TWilight like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Dryden-Tdub, the Copics are amazing, but are also amazingly expensive - $8-$10 per pen depending on where you get them! I'd played around with traditional water based pens and hated them, so never thought much of paying that much for a single pen. But after doing a bit more reading, watching a ton of tutorial videos and learning that Copics can be refilled and the worn nibs replaced, I decided to take the plunge. Once the initial investment in the barrel is over, the life of the pens can be pretty long, making the cost actually less.

And, simply put, I wanted to get back into illustration. I've done commission work before, but never anything professionally. I need a change in careers, though, and need to sharpen my skills to compete. This seemed like the right first step. Gotta learn the 'real world' application before I understand the digital emulation.
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I do, but the site won't let me upload pics this morning.
    LuvNot and TWilight like this.

I can't draw a straight line with a ruler. That why I admire someone who can do it without one! ( My Wife )

Nice work LuvNot!
    I'm no artist but my mother was a professional and we have a number of her paintings.
    I also have several friends who are fine artists in different media and styles.
    My son is a talented musician & song writer.
    I admire artists of all sorts!
    LuvNot and TWilight like this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by LuvNot View Post
    Dryden-Tdub, the Copics are amazing, but are also amazingly expensive - $8-$10 per pen depending on where you get them! I'd played around with traditional water based pens and hated them, so never thought much of paying that much for a single pen. But after doing a bit more reading, watching a ton of tutorial videos and learning that Copics can be refilled and the worn nibs replaced, I decided to take the plunge. Once the initial investment in the barrel is over, the life of the pens can be pretty long, making the cost actually less.
    I just Googled "Copic pens" and see there are markers, Multiliner and drawing pens. Are you using the markers? Tell us more because there are a number of choices. I used to have a lot of technical pens (probably still do somewhere) and I was pretty picky on quality since I used them daily. It's easy to spend a lot of money on these supplies so, it's nice to have insight from someone who has experience using them.
    I have dreams of getting back into drawing and painting too but I made a decision a few years ago that since my free time is limited, I will ride while I still can and focus on painting again when I am too old to ride. Hopefully I can still see to paint then....lol.

Here's a little sample of my painting....I used to paint a lot, now I ride

sampling of my painting.jpg
    littletommy, Darth, LuvNot and 6 others like this.

I want that Praying Mantis...love 'em!
    dette and TWilight like this.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

hw.jpg
    I made this from scratch and some old photos. Used to ride it in parades.
    dette, LuvNot, littletommy and 6 others like this.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

OurDee, I love what you were able to do! Anyone who can bring a concept to life from a flat print is a true artist.

Dette, that's awesome fine-ware! Yet another lost art like OurDee's bicycle making.

I invested in the "Copic Sketch" sets. Because the pens are so expensive, I started with some basic sets for Christmas:
    • Perfect Primaries
    • Earth Essentials
    • Skintones

For my birthday, I'm going to invest in 2 more sets:
    • Hair Color
    • Sketching Grays

And when my taxes come back, if there's anything left, probably a set of jewel tones.

I'm no expert yet. That portrait was literally the first time using them. But I did spend hours upon hours perusing YouTube tutorials to learn more about what made them worth the crazy cost. The sets I bought will give me a limited range of colors, but can be made to imitate others when mixed properly. helped me the most.

I prefer to work in black and white using a regular Bic ballpoint pen. You can get some crazy shading with one of those. Wanted to try something more technical, so bought some Faber Castel PITT artist pens for black and gray line work. I have a variety from extra fine to brush. They are kinda compatible, but not quite, thus the desire to buy the Sketching Gray set.

If you're serious about trying the Copics, take a look at too. She goes over the difference between pen types and says the Ciao are good for starting because they're less expensive per pen, but can't be refilled (but where there's a will, there's a way, so nothing is impossible).

Whatever you do. Have fun!
    dette, littletommy and TWilight like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links