Pair of Colt Revolvers for sale...............
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Pair of Colt Revolvers for sale...............

Pair of Colt Revolvers for sale...............

No I am not selling them. They are not even mine.

I was looking through the classified ads on Calguns.net and found them and was surprised by the price and thought I would share them and see if any one else was surprised.

Boa1.jpg
    Long live the internal combustion engine!

I couldn't image those matching Colts being worth even close to that amount. I believe it was a misprint and I would say $3000 was the intended price.

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    I couldn't image those matching Colts being worth even close to that amount. I believe it was a misprint and I would say $3000 was the intended price.
    Hard to believe, I know. Well, here are a couple of other ads from the same guy and a 3rd one from gunbroker.com

15K Boa.jpg7K Python.jpg10.5K Boa.jpg

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Ridiculous is the only thing that comes to mind. I know Colts do bring higher prices generally but have no idea what the deal with these guns are. I have both S&W 686, 357 Mag L Frame in 6 inch and a 617, .22LR in 6 inch which is the spitting image and nearly identical guns to these Colts. Back in my competition shooting days I would put my Smith L frame against a Colt Python any day and won the matches many times so I just don't get the inflated prices of Colts.

GaryL
    Dryden-Tdub and Beeline like this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

That's about the going price for a Boa. I know the the original 1873 SAA go for more than that if they're in good condition.

The BOA was essentially a limited 'custom' gun from Colt. Compared to my Performance Center N frame S&W the colt custom guns I've tried operated much better with no or little work necessary. My S&W PC gun needed a lot of work to get it competitive and was not even close to being as smooth and accurate as the Colt 'custom' guns right from the factory. Don't get me wrong, I really like my S&W now that it's been reworked but it took time and $ to get it up to the level of a competitive gun. Now that the BOAs are no longer made they have gotten into the status of the 'legendary' gun like the original SAA.
    Last edited by Beeline; 03-19-2016 at 12:43 PM.

Beeline likes this.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

There are folks with big $$ that are willing to pay those prices if the guns have something unique about them. Being a matched pair the BOAs in the original post are rare being that only 200 matched pairs were made.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeline View Post
    That's about the going price for a Boa. I know the the original 1873 SAA go for more than that if they're in good condition.

The BOA was essentially a limited 'custom' gun from Colt. Compared to my Performance Center N frame S&W the colt custom guns I've tried operated much better with no or little work necessary. My S&W PC gun needed a lot of work to get it competitive and was not even close to being as smooth and accurate as the Colt 'custom' guns right from the factory. Don't get me wrong, I really like my S&W now that it's been reworked but it took time and $ to get it up to the level of a competitive gun. Now that the BOAs are no longer made they have gotten into the status of the 'legendary' gun like the original SAA.
    I had a S&W Model 19 Combat Masterpiece PPC gun and my Model 686 L frame both worked and built by a very well respected S&W armorer. Straight out of the box both of these guns are just OK. Once they have been worked and or built by a custom gunsmith they come to life. Keep in mind that none of the stock Colt or S&W wheel guns come from the factory ready for any type of serious competition shooting. The BOA guns were given some very special attention much the same as my S&W guns got. Not sure if S&W ever did any special action work such as the BOA guns from Colt but while involved in the PPC competition shooting there were a few S&W armorers that could make a Smith run right up against any of the Colts. Neither gun shoots any better or straighter than the other until they get some action work and cylinder timing work done. We did a lot of playing on the range with both guns in a Ranson Rest trying to determine accuracy from the various brands and never did find one that surpassed the other as long as all things in the guns were well adjusted. The question we were faced with every time back then was do you buy a S&W for around $300 or pay twice as much for the equal Colt gun when considering the stock guns sold at most shops. A BOA Colt Python would probably cost upwards of $1500 while a S&W L frame was around $325 and in the hands of a good smith could be made to be as smooth and accurate for a couple hundred extra at that time.

GaryL
    Beeline likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

When the SHTF matching serial numbers will be worthless and the guns will become tools again. In my opinion its time to sell collector guns.

It is not the sword, it is the swordsman. Smith or Colt or Ruger or Rossi or J.C. Higgins or High Standard or whatever doesn't matter if the shooter is truly competent.

The best trigger job on a stock out of the box Smith and Wesson revolver is to shoot it a few thousand times and dry fire it (not the rimfire) a few thousand more times. All the parts wear together and the action becomes silky smooth. Of course this means one has to take it apart and clean and oil the parts on a regular basis but it is worth the effort.
    TopPredator likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links