TOOLS-Given, Found, Bought, and retired
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: TOOLS-Given, Found, Bought, and retired

TOOLS-Given, Found, Bought, and retired

Behind all the money or lack of money I have made I used TOOLS. I been given tools years ago by my Dad. I still have many he gave me. I have found some. I have bought many but never a complete set. I have received some as a gift set but usually tool sockets I already own.

At work I have fought to protect my tools. Colored them in bright orange paint to stop co-workers from slipping them into there stuff. I have used Tool Chit system way back in Vocational School and that seemed like a good system for the expensive tools we used in Precision Metal Fabrication. A skill I learn but deep down never wanted to do.

After organizing my tools after Moab I thought of what an older gentlemen told me. I don't care about tools anymore. I don't plan on fixing houses, cars or bikes anymore. I don't feel that way. I would love to set up a very organized hobby garage MAN CAVE. Currently I have the man-cave but the tools are the weak point. I don't want Harbor Freight tools but Craftsmen or better. I want complete Tool Chest sets but at the same time don't really want to work on old junk cars. Maybe for grand kids if I am still around when they come of age. I am tired of hanging on to tools just because "I MAY USE THEM!" I have gone through organizing a lot of various tools from different trades. A little plumbing, some electrical, some HVAC, carpentry and some general tools. But in the end when a job comes up I am not satisfied.

MY QUESTION IS ARE YOU 1) Organized and satisfied? or 2) Want a new tool for your collection each month? or 3) Done with tools and don't care or 4) Your tools are mixed up and you find them when a project starts?

This summer after all these years I plan to get organized and actually work less finding them.

Quote Originally Posted by BillPacific View Post
    Behind all the money or lack of money I have made I used TOOLS. I been given tools years ago by my Dad. I still have many he gave me. I have found some. I have bought many but never a complete set. I have received some as a gift set but usually tool sockets I already own.

At work I have fought to protect my tools. Colored them in bright orange paint to stop co-workers from slipping them into there stuff. I have used Tool Chit system way back in Vocational School and that seemed like a good system for the expensive tools we used in Precision Metal Fabrication. A skill I learn but deep down never wanted to do.

After organizing my tools after Moab I thought of what an older gentlemen told me. I don't care about tools anymore. I don't plan on fixing houses, cars or bikes anymore. I don't feel that way. I would love to set up a very organized hobby garage MAN CAVE. Currently I have the man-cave but the tools are the weak point. I don't want Harbor Freight tools but Craftsmen or better. I want complete Tool Chest sets but at the same time don't really want to work on old junk cars. Maybe for grand kids if I am still around when they come of age. I am tired of hanging on to tools just because "I MAY USE THEM!" I have gone through organizing a lot of various tools from different trades. A little plumbing, some electrical, some HVAC, carpentry and some general tools. But in the end when a job comes up I am not satisfied.

MY QUESTION IS ARE YOU 1) Organized and satisfied? or 2) Want a new tool for your collection each month? or 3) Done with tools and don't care or 4) Your tools are mixed up and you find them when a project starts?

This summer after all these years I plan to get organized and actually work less finding them.
    Tools I use daily I would rank as a 1.

All the rest I would rank as a 5.

Tom

PS. A 5) is that 15 minute time frame where you know you have it and just before you retrieve your wallet and car keys to go purchase a new one you accidentally stumble across it along with that other tool you needed the other day but NOW own two of.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Bill:
    You are a tool junkie! It's ok to admit it as your with friends here who know whats its like. I'll be blunt there is no cure! The best you can do is come up with a system that works for you but knowing that the best laid plans
    go off track. That's all right as coming up with new ones is a way for us to coup with our addiction.
    jtomelliott49 and BillPacific like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I fall into the #1 slot. Some tools are listed as every day and every job such as screw drivers, pliers, hammers and such while others fall into mechanics, carpentry, plumbing and electrical. I keep those tools separated and in different boxes and places. I don't often need my nail guns while working on my TW or my socket set while doing plumbing. I am a "Jack of all trades" and pride myself at being able to fix most anything except these damn computers. For them I use a hammer. I can assure you that no member here could possibly lift all of my mechanics tools at one time and even with a couple of large rolling cabinets full there is always some tool I don't have but can't justify the expense to go get it for a one time use. If I put all of my tools in one place, mechanics, plumbing, woodworking and electrical they would fill my 2 1/2 car garage from floor to ceiling.

I remember back a ways when Mel gave up his business and was cleaning out the tools he would no longer need. I am sure that was a heart wrenching affair and he did let a lot of them go but he probably still has a big bunch of tools still left because a man must have his tools. If any of us were to add to our tools all of our toys, hunting, fishing, boating, yard work, motorcycles, bicycles, skiing and all our other hobbies it becomes evident why we need garages, basements, trailers, barns and sheds. I dread the day if I ever have to move!

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Mel
    Gary, you are absolutely right. I thinned a lot of tools in various ways, but still have 5 very large roll boxes full. One is nothing but metric, of every kind. One is metric and specialty tools. the other 3 are all Snap-on of every thing imaginable, with 1 inch drive sockets to 4 1/2" That doesn't include all of the threading and cutting tools, drill bits, with a full set of left hand drills. I did manage to get them down enough to all fit into a 40 storage container. I did have about every electrical, plumbing and carpentry tool you could buy. They are not in the container. I will say, every tool I ever bought, paid for its self.
    Some of these guys would love to get into my toybox. There are lathes, welders, presses, pullers, threading, cutting torches. etc.
    Mel

One of the local parts stores took down and tossed out the boards that the tools hung on behind the counter (they are KD tool Displays) so I snatched them all up lol. Most of my sockets, wrenches, pliers and various other items hang on those boards which are already labeled so its easy to grab what I need. I also have 2 small roll around boxes that house the specialty tools, screwdrivers, etc. I typically always need more tools lol, but overall im fairly satisfied with the way they are organized

I am TOTALLY unorganized, and am in the (slow)process of working on it. Just sayin'.
    Tom in Wichita

78 Moto Guzzi SP1000
    87 Yamaha TW200
    99 Yamaha TW200
    03 Honda Shadow Spirit (girlfriend's ride)
    74 Moto Guzzi Eldorado Police model (in many pieces)

I rarely pass up the opportunity to pick up a new tool, even if it is likely that I may never need it again.

About a year ago I decided to organize my tools. Almost every day I regret that decision because it now takes me about three times as long to find what I need.

B.T.W. I'm married to a tool junkie! Her addiction is woodworking. It does however make going to Sears or Harbor Freight a happy time for both of us.
    littletommy, Gerry, troll and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TW-Brian View Post
    I rarely pass up the opportunity to pick up a new tool, even if it is likely that I may never need it again.

About a year ago I decided to organize my tools. Almost every day I regret that decision because it now takes me about three times as long to find what I need.
    I would post a picture of my garage but I would then be forced to ban myself from this forum in order to escape the shame

Tom
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links