My other Yamaha single (project)
Close

This is something I have been working on for a few months. I have a few months left still. I need to get cracking on it, but other stuff seems to keep getting in the way.

http://sr500project.blogspot.com/

Boy, that sure is a great shop. I had a 78 SR500 some years ago. It will be kinda cool to see the finished project. Good luck getting it done.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Holy crap, is that ever a shop! And the bikes on the walls! Wow, just wow.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

My mom moved down to austin, where i live, but my dad stayed up there. he has an apartment above his shop and he lives there.

he has 2 more vintage bikes hanging up since i was there last, because of deaths and him acquiring them. most of those bikes have family or close family friend history (most from people who have died over the years). each of those bikes has a story. the best story to me is that blue chopper up in the far left corner. the last person to start the bike was the guy who built it (a family member) before he got killed in a car crash in the 60's. in a way, we have to keep that bike from ever being started again. that was mac's bike, and nobody should ever kick that beast over again.

the white harley 54 anniversary edition was my great uncle harold's bike. he wrecked that bike, got a massive head injury, and became a quadriplegic. everyone who has ever ridden that bike has wrecked it. my uncle harold bought it from the third owner. the first owner wrecked it and was injured, the second owner rebuilt it, it caught on fire and he got badly burned, then my great uncle bought it, rebuilt it and was in his wreck. the bike was rebuilt after he died by my dad and my great uncle's best friend, but it's considered cursed and nobody is allowed to ride it. someone offered a blank check for that bike once, and it was declined due to the curse.

the old duo glide, i think it's a 58, was a friend of the family's bike. he was a cool old guy, ww2 vet. he bought that bike new and rode it the perimeter of the entire united states. it's a mostly original bike.

the orange and white 69 electra glide has no family history. my dad bought it from a friend back around 95. but he only has 3,500 bucks in that bike and it was in a harley davidson rolling museum tour for a few months. it was probably the only restored bike in the group that someone had less then 4k invested in. he did everything except the chrome work, and it was a full rusted out basket case restoration.

all of the indians were complete restorations done in the early 80's to early 90's. the parts and pieces were sourced from flea markets and swap meets over a number of years. that orange 1942 is a really rare bike and worth around 75k.

I've had many bikes but my SR500 was one of my favorite fun bikes. I had an XT500 at the same time. Nice bikes for their time. I'm looking forward to following your project.

Man, that is an awesome collection your dad has. The shop ain't too shabby either

the imagination runs wild looking at that orange indian... to the moon and back no prob
    1989 Tw200
    1991 Tw200
    2008 WR250R
    2004 Ford Ranger FXR Lvl II

Reviving an old thread:

Any update on the SR500? Seeing the work makes me want to tear apart my 71 RT1 again to 1) get it back to street-legal and 2) do it better justice than the cheap blue and white paintjob I did on it last time. Oh yeah, and put the 68 DT tank on it that I have (looks like the yellow one you got for the SR500 except it's gold).

EDIT: Actually after looking at your yellow one again, it looks like the current blue one on my RT1. The 68 is more cafe-style.

I'm thinking my RT1 would be a unique cafe-racer style if I went that route.

Cheers!

Great workshop and bikes, Story's behind the bikes are realy cool and make it a nice collection.

I am thinking of buying and SR realy interested to see how yours turns out. i know someone in Thailand who claims his SR does 200KMPH!! Tall claim!

Tunned at Gigabike Thailand. The thais love to custumize!! What syle you aiming for? I'm a fan of trackers and cafe racers myself. You may enjoy these links.

http://www.thaigigabike.com/products.html

http://www.thaigigabike.com/tripsrthailand.html?lang=th

Look forward to the updates

Sponosred Links