Internet Access Computer Knowledge Help
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By admiral

Thread: Internet Access Computer Knowledge Help

From my home computer, I am unable to gain access to this forum. I have tried Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Google Chrome internet browsers, each with error messages saying cannot connect. I have asked my computer guru friends at work, and searched the internet, without success.

This forum is the only website I am unable to connect too from home. The problem does not appear to be my internet provider or this website as I can gain access to all the other websites in any of the internet browsers as before. Any other computers, be it work, my sons house, no problem.

So, if anyone has any experience with this problem or has a solution (besides buying a new computer or reloading it) I'm all ears.

Thanks
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I had a similar problem about a month ago. I tried 3 different computers in my home network and all it did was time out on both IE and Firefox. I just assumed the site was down. I kept trying for a little over a week and one day it connected. I was going to ask what happened but I could tell from the posts that everyone else had been posting all along without problems. I never figured out what happened but it hasn't happened since and I haven't changed any settings.

Crawfordville. FL, (south of Tallahassee), on the beach
    Your wife has blocked/disabled access to this site because you spend too much time on here ignoring your household duties?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

This happens to me now and again, usually about 6.30pm - 7.00pm UK time.

I always thought it was down for maintenance or something.

Admiral,

Are you accessing the internet via a router?

Are you running a firewall and/or anti-virus, anti-malware software on this particular computer?

CP

Quote Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
    Your wife has blocked/disabled access to this site because you spend too much time on here ignoring your household duties?

That's funny, but maybe true. Without access to the site I got a lot of things around the yard done the past two day's. But I wonder how she will feel when I get the TW back together and starting riding all the time! I better get better at "Time Management"!

Thanks for your replies so far, I really appreciate it, being a motorcycle site and all.

Router, I don't think its technically a router, but I believe it's called a modem. I live out in the boonies and don't have cable type DSL setup and prior to my current internet provider I had aol dial up. Anyway, I have a box at the top of the house which receives a cell phone type signal from a line-of-sight tower nearby. A telephone line comes into the house and connects to a small plastic box I'm calling the moden. Then an ethernet cable from the modem to the cpu. Just want to mention again I have no problem with any other website. If the wife did this to me, she stumping some of my computer smart friends too.

Here are some of the things I've done on the advise from others. Deleted browsing cookies and history, un-installed and re-installed, adobie flash player and java. Have also turned off then back on some firewall security type stuff. I also un-installed Firefox, Goggle Chrome, and IE 8. I have since re-installed IE8.

I have internet searched this problem, and though others have had a similar problem, I have not found a solution, but will keep looking.

What I'm gonna try next to help narrow the problem, (hopefully). I'm gonna connect one of my old computers up to the net and see if this works. If it does I can say its something to do with my computer. If it happens with the old cpu connected, then I think it's beyond the home. I have called my internet provider, which says it's not the service.

One more question, this website wouldn't have blocked my access from home for some reason would it? I don't think so cause I can still get on at work or elsewhere.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

I'm sure it's not a connectivity issue because you can get to other websites.

FWIW: What Operating System are you running?

The reason I asked if you are using a router is because routers have the ability to be configured to block access to any website that you may want to block access to and I was thinking somehow maybe you inadvertently had done that.

As for the firewall you are running, it most likely has something like a router has that allows you to block website access.

Check the settings of the firewall and see if somehow that has happened.

You didn't say whether you are running anti-virus, anti-malware or other similar programs but I'm guessing you are.

If you don’t find anything in the settings blocking website access my next suggestion would be to shutdown the firewall, anti-virus or any other similar software you are running to see if one of them is causing the problem.

You want to shutdown one program at a time, not all of them at the same time.

So shutdown the firewall and see if you can access the website. If you can, the problem is your firewall.

If still no access to the website then shutdown your anti-virus program and check for access. Continue on with any other security type software that you are running and see if you can find a problem.

Note: you have to make sure you shut down the programs as opposed to stopping or pausing them. They must be shutdown. I'll have to say NO to the website blocking your access but I don't run the website. Email them and ask. Maybe they can shed some light on your access problem.

Thanks for responding cptrout.

My operating system is Windows XP. Can't remember for sure, but I think I did stop the firewall briefly, however I think I should revisit it as I was in a hurry and on the phone with my son who was walking me through some checks. I know I have not shutdown my anti-virus, anti-malware etc programs, so I will try that next. I would like to tell you what anti whatever I have running, but I do not know for sure. All I know is there is anti-virus, but as for the others I will have to see.

When I get my old cpu connected, I will attempt to check what settings and programs are running on that cpu compared to the main cpu we use. I'll know more on Monday. I guess this problem is similar to electrical and carburator problems on the TW. Mysterious sometimes, just hard to find the fault!

Again, thanks for pointing out some things for me to check.
    tcepilot likes this.

Sponosred Links