Close

Like Tree19Likes
  • 5 Post By LuvNot
  • 3 Post By Xracer
  • 2 Post By pred
  • 2 Post By Skooter

Thread: Extreme motorsports... then and now

Extreme motorsports... then and now

A while ago someone asked who was the greatest influence on us as motorcyclist, and one of the first people I thought of (besides my father) was Evel Knievel. That man would jump anything. At the time, it was considered one of the most extreme examples of motorcycle riding. It was Crazy!

I wonder what Knievel would think about today's modern X Games riders, though? Not only do they jump, but they do freaking flips and midair tricks during the jumps. Would Knievel have joined them? Created his own signature tricks? Become a major endorser for the up and coming kids? Probably. And then done a bunch of public service commercials about the dangers of what they do, so don't try this at home kids.

Motorcycling has come a long way. I'm too old and cautious to try anything fancy, but I do enjoy watching the skills of others. It will be interesting to see just how much farther we can go in this sport.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

I know what you mean. Eval was the one who got me jumping over flower pots and trash cans as a kid.

I would jump over my sister,
    Wooden ramp in the street and I would get her to lay down sideways,
    No-one ever got hurt either ! ! !!
    littletommy and LuvNot like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Evel was one of a kind. Bold, brash, cocky, bigger than life. In some ways I think the USA is the only country that could hold a guy like that, and when you think about some of his personal qualities they are the same things the rest of the world both loves and hates about America. Good, bad, or ugly, it definitely gets your attention.

Saw a kid riding a bike in my neighborhood, typical mountain bike config, maybe a 20 incher, and I thought...is it even possible to wheelie that bike? When I was a kid we'd watch Evel make a jump on Wide World of Sports, then we'd go out and bust our azzes trying to imitate him on bikes you could actually wheelie, just like these:
    Devils Advocate and Hidebound like this.

That's what did it for me. ...and it starts out as "I remember this time at band camp...." ...they showed the movie On Any Sunday. I was hooked.
    Last edited by Devils Advocate; 04-11-2016 at 10:56 PM.

Sponosred Links