Giant loop bags
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hodakaguy

Thread: Giant loop bags

I've never seen these in the flesh. Ideal concept, just don't quite understand the high price. Anyone used them?

http://www.giantloopmoto.com/collect...ear-collection

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

If you want to travel light and keep the feel of the bike the Giant Loop Luggage system is a great choice. They make the bags in a couple sizes, To fit anywhere from dirt bikes to large bikes like the GS etc. My Giant Loop is the first generation bag and several updates have been made since my purchase (larger zippers, waterproof material, no bolting, etc).

I've ridden with the GL on a couple long desert trips now and it's worked flawless. I love how the bag keeps everything tight to the bike, nothing moved or shifted during the entire trip. It's amazing what you can stuff into the bag once you start packing. I also like that there is no framework to break/bend in a crash. I keep my sleeping bag/pad in a separate dry bad strapped on top of the GL with the built in straps.

For light weight fast travel the GL is the way to go!

Here's my setup for traveling on my 530EXC. Mostly composed of ultra light weight back packing gear. Stored in a Giant Loop saddlebag and a regular dry bag. Some of the major items are:

*Big Agnes Lost Ranger sleeping bag & Big Agnes Sleeping Pad

*Reactor sleeping bag liner

*Collapsible water bottle - boil water, fill bag, wrap in jacket liner and place in bag bottom of sleeping bag for really cold nights.

*Collapsible water bucket (not a must have but nice to keep around the fire in case of emergency)

*MSR Wisperlight International Stove & Fuel bottle - (Since switched over to a Jetboil)

*Water Pump/Purifier

*Bug head net

*Camp Chair - I used the A-lite 2 Leg chair and loved it - CLICK HERE FOR A VIDEO REVIEW OF THE CHAIR

*Big Agnes Seedhouse 2SL Tent

*Misc pots, utensils, first aid kit, camera batteries, light ect.

Did a 1100 mile trip with the original Giant Loop a couple years ago and a 1500 mile trip through NV last summer, worked flawless. There were 6 of us on the trip and 5 out of 6 used the Giant Loop, everyone was very impressed.

Hodakaguy
    MCC1776 likes this.

I remember some early reviews on them. At the time I was so invested in conventional panniers that although ingenius, I couldn't see 400 bucks for a vulcanized nylon tube. LOL. I figgered they may have come down by now, looks like they're so good that they've gone up.

Now that I'm again becoming a small-displacement geek I'm thinking they're in my future, but nowadays I gotta buy certain stuff times2. It's a good thing we both have big tanks, cuz on this trip with conventional luggage we're probably gunna need them.

Suppose you sell me that nasty, wrinkled up and outdated one you're sporting for like say...50 bucks and a Barry Manilow album, and go get you a spiffy updated orange one to match your KTM?

Powdercoated '87 frame, extended swingarm, YZ fork legs, ATV tire, 14/55, XT350 tank, spliced quick-release seat, disc brake conversion, beeg headlight, beeger rack, Lizrdcooler, Lizrdventz and bunch of other stuff all covered in invisible ink.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

After owning much of what is out there, I would recommend the Giant Loop over a hard pannier system for off-paved road travel.

A major issue with soft baggage is positioning on the bike. On some makes and models of bikes the exhaust system and bag location may require some heat shielding in order to protect the bags.

Other than that the soft bag(s) is/are the way to go for off roading. The only downside is for those who perceive a security issue. Also soft bags, if damaged, field repairs are quite easy compared to hard bags. The price may appear high but if you compare the price to a hard bag system it is quite reasonable. But if price is the prime mover then you need to consider some homemade luggage system.

That's my 2 cents worth.

Mike
    The TW200 may be slow but the Earth is patient.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Last Blog Entry: Plans For 2012 (01/16/12)

Quote Originally Posted by TW2007 View Post
    But if price is the prime mover then you need to consider some homemade luggage system.

Nah. These are clearly a better mouse trap. I shoulda ditched my conventional stuff long ago, just kinda forgot about it. I already own all that other stuff, too.

This trip we're gunna make do with Happy Trails, Nelson Rigg, etc., stuff I already have. With a week to go I just wish I'd revisited the current state of Giant Loop a bit sooner. My bad.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

For the price, I'll not be having any experience with them.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    For the price, I'll not be having any experience with them.

Will they hold a deer?

Ronnydog

Quote Originally Posted by ronnydog View Post
    Will they hold a deer?

Ronnydog

Only crazy people with ticks in their crack haul deer around on a TW

We're a thousand miles into this road trip and I can tell ya that conventional luggage is the downfall of low-displacement touring. It's like dragging a windsock behind you.

We crossed the divide into Springerville today and I was down to 40 mph in places, while she could do 60, even with a 20 mph headwind at 7,000 feet. MPG dropped into the high-40's as well. Those bags are the kind.

How 'bout 50 bucks and TWO Manilow albums?

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by lizrdbrth View Post
    Those bags are the kind.

hehe the kind of what? what is this trip REALLY for anyway? and what else ya got in them bags hear?

Sponosred Links