Mac Air laptop problem
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Mac Air laptop problem

Mac Air laptop problem

Mac air problem. Since about the middle of today a one and a half inch ribbon that looks like metallic threads creating a translucent band running vertically down the near center of my screen. Do any of you know what causes this? It sometimes causes a metallic color on pictures. It makes reading text difficult. Is my machine wearing out?
    Is it fixable? WTF?
    Phelonius

Does it change if you move the screen? If it does it's the screen cable. Otherwise it's either the screen itself or the video card built onto the board. No matter what it's time for a visit to a local service center or Apple Store
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

Take it into the Apple Store if possible, not a general computer service center. There's a good chance they will fix or replace it for free.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Display is going... Not sure what the $ would be to fix/replace but it will not be cheap.

I would do what cpit recommended. If you have no extended warranty or not. Probably cost +400.

I have a MBair also, about 3 years now. A very nice laptop but expensive.

Example of cost:

MacBook Air Screen Replacement

Jim
    Hidden Content 2003 Tw200, 2014 BWS 150, 1969 VW Beetle Baja, 1972 Super Beetle and a 1987 Suzuki Samurai.

I took it to the Apple store and their wizard worked on it for three days. 62.50 was the bill and it is almost fixed. They said another 400 might take care of the problem.
    My next computer will not be Apple.
    I have had three mac laptops now and Apple is no longer in my future.
    Apple puts intrusive malware into their up grades and puts time triggered fails into their product so that you need to buy another one.
    When Steve Jobs died the company went to hell as far as ethics goes.
    Phelonius

Quote Originally Posted by phelonius View Post
    ?....

Apple puts intrusive malware into their up grades and puts time triggered fails into their product so that you need to buy another one.
    I'm curious what the malware is, and the time-triggered fails are.

Is it anything more than the "reporting" back to Apple of your online activity and location?

Microsoft, Google, and Amazon all do the same thing.

jb
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

I took it to the Apple store and their wizard worked on it for three days. 62.50 was the bill and it is almost fixed. They said another 400 might take care of the problem.
    I am not a fan of Apple. They were however a driving force in the development of better products and better quality PC's.

Tom
    Smitty Blackstone likes this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

When they upgraded to the system before el capitan it destroyed my kindle books and made some other stuff I was using not work.
    It was impossible to go back to where it was so I had to have the complete memory wiped and started over again. My computer suffers blackouts
    and the mac wizards tell me that it is because I refuse upgrades. I consider it is a way to try to coerce me into accepting upgrades that I do not want.
    Mac has been this way since shortly after Jobs died. There whole system is focused towards eliminating the ability to run anything not Apple originated .
    Since the only action I have is to vote with my dollars, I choose to not buy Apple products any more. Phukem!
    Tom is right, I am not a fan of Apple. They were however a driving force in the development of better products and better quality PC's.

Tom

I agree Tom but that was when Steve Jobs was alive.
    Last edited by phelonius; 04-22-2016 at 03:29 PM.
    Phelonius

When they upgraded to the system before el capitan it destroyed my kindle books and made some other stuff I was using not work.
    It was impossible to go back to where it was so I had to have the complete memory wiped and started over again. My computer suffers blackouts
    and the mac wizards tell me that it is because I refuse upgrades. I consider it is a way to try to coerce me into accepting upgrades that I do not want.
    Mac has been this way since shortly after Jobs died. There whole system is focused towards eliminating the ability to run anything not Apple originated .
    Since the only action I have is to vote with my dollars, I choose to not buy Apple products any more. Phukem!
    "..........
    It's unfortunate your books and other "stuff" were lost, but that can happen in any operating system.

That's the reason for backups, both on external drives, DVD's, and the "cloud" (though I'm not a fan of the cloud for security reasons).

The OS upgrades you talk about apply equally to Apple and Microsoft. In the effort to make each OS more secure, it is inevitable that older software will not run on the new code.

I have shelves full of old Windows and Mac software CDs that will no longer run on any machine.

You could certainly reinstall an older version of Apple's OS X, and run it as a stand alone machine.

When you get you new Windows computer with Win 10, be sure to track down the dozens of settings that share everything on your computer with Microsoft.

Change is inevitable, though I don't like it any more than you do. That's why I like my 10 year old motorcycles better that the new ones....

jb
    cpit and Smitty Blackstone like this.
    2018 Triumph Street Twin..............2016 CB500F
    2014 XT250 ..................................2008 H-D Softail Deluxe
    2008 SV 650..................................2007 DR 650..

The malware idea is 100% untrue. I am sorry to hear about your experience though. If I were you, I'd try calling apple customer service and explaining the situation (as politely as possible). It's tough to control the customer service experience across all retail stores, but maybe you'll have better luck on the phone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links