My New Ride
Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: My New Ride

I freely admit to being the world's worst cheapskate. I don't mind paying a fair price for a fair value, but I hate even more paying more than is necessary for any good or service. I deal in cash, money order, debit card, or PayPal in all things, depending on the type of marketing--credit is immoral to me.

Sooooo, one day last week I did a road service call for a jump start. Found out the car had been sitting for "a little over a year" and a new battery was installed "just before the car was parked". Needless to say, no prep was made for storage, the battery was 100% completely dead, and the rusty side terminal bolts would not accept charge from the jumper cables.

After the jump attempt failed, the people who called for the jump mentioned selling their mother's car.

Turned out the battery was installed in 2006, long before E10 hit this market.

To make a long story short, here's my new $250 paid-for ride:

55,580 miles, one elderly owner, garage kept, new tires. My son had a battery to fit. Cranked, idled perfect after a 10 second fast-idle run, quieted to can't hear it at idle within 30 seconds. No warning lights. Drives out perfect except a slight pulsing of the brake pedal. It'll probably need the rotors turned and new pads due to rust.

Thats not a tw!
    2008 TW200 with a super cool exhaust

You're kidding!

Anywho, the PO was convinced the car had been sitting for a little over a year and that the fuel system would be damaged by ethanol. According to the sale date on the battery, which was supposedly installed just before the car was parked, the car had been sitting for closer to 4 years, so never tasted ethanol. I fully expected to have to P.O.R. the gas tank, replace the pump, filter, and maybe injectors and rail. That has been my experience with other vehicles improperly stored with E10 in the tank.

I found the receipts for the batteries and tires in the trunk. The battery was 110 miles old when parked, the tires, 212. 9 miles on the last oil and filter change, in November, '06. New belts and hoses replaced at the same time. Maintenance and repair receipts from brand new, all at the local Olds dealer.

Seems like I got lucky for once.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    You're kidding!

Anywho, the PO was convinced the car had been sitting for a little over a year and that the fuel system would be damaged by ethanol. According to the sale date on the battery, which was supposedly installed just before the car was parked, the car had been sitting for closer to 4 years, so never tasted ethanol. I fully expected to have to P.O.R. the gas tank, replace the pump, filter, and maybe injectors and rail. That has been my experience with other vehicles improperly stored with E10 in the tank.

I found the receipts for the batteries and tires in the trunk. The battery was 110 miles old when parked, the tires, 212. 9 miles on the last oil and filter change, in November, '06. New belts and hoses replaced at the same time. Maintenance and repair receipts from brand new, all at the local Olds dealer.

Seems like I got lucky for once.

Lucky and humbling. I lost my 2002 F 150 Lariat that only had 75,000 last June. I was bummed and I was forced to by a 2001 Cavalier. Happy to say that the Cavalier gets 32 mpg overall and is paid for...humbling and in hindsight a better move (especially since I have my TW).
    Hidden Content [/IMG]It's not why, but why not. Do it for the right reason now, versus the wrong reason later.
    Born on a Honda Z50, '78 YZ 80, '79 Husky WR 250

2008 TDub--Jimbo Shield, Lizard Oil Cooler, Blaster Shock, YZ Hybrid Forks, Supermoto front fender, ATV Bars, Acerbis Brake Cover, 1460 Pelican Case, Cycle Rack, Power Core, Gold Chain.

Hidden Content

Well, I figure it's the TW of Oldsmobiles--the windows are hand crank and it has the base SOHC 2.3. I was under it a few minutes ago and the tires still have blue on the whitewalls. The spare still has nipples on the tread.

Looks like my gramma's car!!!

That's okay, I'm old and don't shive a git what it looks like, as long as it runs good.

I would add a Cycleracks rack with a Rotopax fuel pack on each side. If those are 14" rims, you may be able to spoon on some big horn atv tires. If it's an '06, check the base gasket for leakage. Truelight can tell you how to maintain the battery a little better this time.

Anyway, nice ride.
    Tenth Letter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    I would add a Cycleracks rack with a Rotopax fuel pack on each side. If those are 14" rims, you may be able to spoon on some big horn atv tires. If it's an '06, check the base gasket for leakage. Truelight can tell you how to maintain the battery a little better this time.

Anyway, nice ride.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post

Anyway, nice ride.

I'm looking around the junkyards for a factory luggage rack.

Tire size is 185/75R14. I'm thinking about 204s.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponosred Links