Could Marijuana Help Treat Painkiller and Heroin Addiction?
Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Could Marijuana Help Treat Painkiller and Heroin Addiction?

Question Could Marijuana Help Treat Painkiller and Heroin Addiction?

Could Marijuana Help Treat Painkiller and Heroin Addiction? - ABC News

As most of you know, I am a medical marijuana user.

I have always said, marijuana isn't a cure all as some would want you to believe, but it sure does help a lot with many ailments.

I am 99% sure that if I had been using all the opiate pain killers and the various other dangerous prescribed drugs that I was told I would need for the rest of my life (in 1986), that I would be dead today.

Time's are a changing (finally)...more and more people are now realizing the medical benefits.

What do you think about this?

All comments are welcome.

I am especially interested in comments from folks who have used it in the way I have, in versus to prescribed medications.

Thanks
    saabbug, jtomelliott49 and gandolf like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

When you are stoned you don't think about pain.
    littletommy and jtomelliott49 like this.
    Phelonius

I'm with you LT.
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

“It’s more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow”.

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

And though a mountain may rise up and smack the livin' shit outta me,
    and wad up my bike somethin' awful...
    Still, I rise!
    (With apologies to Maya Angelou)

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Simple answer — No

In my experience, you have to “want” to give up something in order to do it. Substituting one thing for another ‘aint gonna work.

Coke — for six months, I could go through a gram and a half in one night, end up totally paranoid, still taking marijuana through the night (dried out my sinuses) — equal addiction to both. Except that one day I looked at myself in the mirror, and it wasn’t a pretty sight — went cold turkey on the coke there and then — never touched it since.

Marijuana in its various forms, I used for nearly 30 years — not for any medicinal effects — just to get stoned. 4 times day, regular as clockwork — what you would call a “fully functioning” addict. Stoned became my “normal”.

In the middle of all that — the doc put me on Morphine for pain relief after a lung operation — still smoking dope during that time — had to close one eye to see straight at times (wasn’t driving). After three months, I had to know if I still needed Morphine, or if I was addicted to it. Stopped — cold turkey — no after effects, the pain was (mostly) gone.

Around ten years ago, there was a “drought” of marijuana — had no choice to go cold turkey on that one too — around 5 weeks. Eventually supply was re-established, but then so was my body’s “normality” — tried to take it up again, didn’t like it — gave it up for good.

Still drinking — still smoking tobacco — but then those are the two I don’t “want” to give up.

Could smoking marijuana help me with those ? — after 30 years it hadn’t done so — didn’t help with the coke and the Morphine either. I did those two on my own, because I wanted to.

Now, all of this is very subjective to the individual — what worked for me may not be the case for others — but Heroin, Cocaine, and Morphine are all Opiates at the end of the day — but (with the exception of Heroin) these were the simplest for me to give up - simply because they were the ones I didn’t want to surrender my life to. Addiction may be a physical state, but fighting against that addiction is a mental one.

The exception here was marijuana — unlike your-self, I never had a legitimate excuse for taking it — did nothing for my pain when I was on Morphine — and all of this leads to the question …….

LT — do you actually need marijuana ? — or have you convinced yourself that you do ?

Have you ever tried giving it up for four weeks or more ?

You may be surprised at what happens.

This advice don’t forget, is coming from someone who has been there, done that, got the tee-shirt. I make no personal judgements here, as you can see by what I’ve written above — I (now) have nothing to hide.

Take your time — think about it ……… (just sayin’)
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

I cant speak from first hand experience since i have never been an addicted to anything, dont smoke anything legal or otherwise and barely drink( yes i'm fun at a party) but i have seen some things in my life that make me think that Medical MJ could help people in such a way. Recreation and pain are really two different things, it may not help someone who takes drugs recreationally but could help someone in chronic pain.

My uncle is a really good example. He deals with chronic back pain after having fusion surgery and at one point he was taking Vicodin like they were tic-tac's because of the constant pain he has been in for over a decade. My uncle is a lot like me where he has never been a user or much of a drinker and never like taking medicine of any kind but unfortunately like me he got the family back and has had a lot of pain issues that have resulted. After years of it he got fed up with the Vicodin, constantly feeling like crap, constantly being constipated etc and stopped taking them in favor of MJ and it has absolutely changed his life. He gets the relief he needs from the pain and with a lot less side effects. Where he lives does not have a medical MJ law yet but its in the works and once it passes he plans to switch to the pill form.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

jb882 -
    Why make him wait for his relief? It could be a long time.
    Google: mail order marijuana
    Tommy, where do you get yours?
    "Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

"The less horsepower a motorcycle has, the more it can teach you.” - Ben Bostrom

Still, I rise!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    jb882 -
    Why make him wait for his relief? It could be a long time.
    Google: mail order marijuana
    Tommy, where do you get yours?
    He's not waiting, it's just not legal
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

jb882 -
    That's good!
    I was afraid he was waiting on legal pills.
    If someone is suffering and pot helps...who cares if it's legal?
    - Hunter S. Thompson

Still, I rise!

"Give a Damn"
    - C. M. Howe, Jr.

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Simple answer — No

In my experience, you have to “want” to give up something in order to do it. Substituting one thing for another ‘aint gonna work.

Coke — for six months, I could go through a gram and a half in one night, end up totally paranoid, still taking marijuana through the night (dried out my sinuses) — equal addiction to both. Except that one day I looked at myself in the mirror, and it wasn’t a pretty sight — went cold turkey on the coke there and then — never touched it since.

Marijuana in its various forms, I used for nearly 30 years — not for any medicinal effects — just to get stoned. 4 times day, regular as clockwork — what you would call a “fully functioning” addict. Stoned became my “normal”.

In the middle of all that — the doc put me on Morphine for pain relief after a lung operation — still smoking dope during that time — had to close one eye to see straight at times (wasn’t driving). After three months, I had to know if I still needed Morphine, or if I was addicted to it. Stopped — cold turkey — no after effects, the pain was (mostly) gone.

Around ten years ago, there was a “drought” of marijuana — had no choice to go cold turkey on that one too — around 5 weeks. Eventually supply was re-established, but then so was my body’s “normality” — tried to take it up again, didn’t like it — gave it up for good.

Still drinking — still smoking tobacco — but then those are the two I don’t “want” to give up.

Could smoking marijuana help me with those ? — after 30 years it hadn’t done so — didn’t help with the coke and the Morphine either. I did those two on my own, because I wanted to.

Now, all of this is very subjective to the individual — what worked for me may not be the case for others — but Heroin, Cocaine, and Morphine are all Opiates at the end of the day — but (with the exception of Heroin) these were the simplest for me to give up - simply because they were the ones I didn’t want to surrender my life to. Addiction may be a physical state, but fighting against that addiction is a mental one.

The exception here was marijuana — unlike your-self, I never had a legitimate excuse for taking it — did nothing for my pain when I was on Morphine — and all of this leads to the question …….

LT — do you actually need marijuana ? — or have you convinced yourself that you do ?

Have you ever tried giving it up for four weeks or more ?

You may be surprised at what happens.

This advice don’t forget, is coming from someone who has been there, done that, got the tee-shirt. I make no personal judgements here, as you can see by what I’ve written above — I (now) have nothing to hide.

Take your time — think about it ……… (just sayin’)
    I've been on both sides of the fence. I've been on the painkillers, etc and I've stopped being on the painkillers, etc. I've used the weed and not used the weed.

My personal experience is not like the case in question that I posted though. I'm not trying to use weed to fight an opiate or heroin addiction, I'm trying to avoid it. In my past life before Christ touched me, you'd be surprised at how much and how many things I've done and overdone..ha ha I was a total addict. You name it, I've done it and a lot of it, with the exception of some of the designer drugs that came along later and crack. But everything else, you bet I did.

I do at this time have to use opiate painkillers sometimes, but by choice usually only at night while trying to sleep, almost never during the day, and almost never two days in a row. I'm old and I'm broken down pretty bad over the years. I'm having to use a walker the last few days, because its just one thing after the other the last few years, but I AM working on my health again and doing fairly well. I still live in a pretty good amount of pain no matter what I use anyway.

Where I see the value in marijuana, is using it instead of dangerous opiates and prescription drugs for as long as you can before you HAVE to take the heavier prescription drugs. I am sure this has saved my life.

I also don't approach drugs or weed in the same way as I did recreationally. I use just enough to take the edge off and that's it. I like to be in my right frame of mind, period. So, less is better. That is a rule I have followed for many years and it has served me well. I still have at least 1/2 of a brain cell left. I go as long in a day as I can without, only using a little, when needed, at a time.

Purple, I've tried both ways, extensively and yes, marijuana helps, more than I thought it ever would. I owe my life to this weed.

But my time is coming all too soon and when it is here for me, load me up, I won't care, I've lived in enough pain. But until then, I'm staying as far away from prescription drugs as possible or at least now, using them only when absolutely necessary. Hope that explains where I'm coming from...
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    I cant speak from first hand experience since i have never been an addicted to anything, dont smoke anything legal or otherwise and barely drink( yes i'm fun at a party) but i have seen some things in my life that make me think that Medical MJ could help people in such a way. Recreation and pain are really two different things, it may not help someone who takes drugs recreationally but could help someone in chronic pain.

My uncle is a really good example. He deals with chronic back pain after having fusion surgery and at one point he was taking Vicodin like they were tic-tac's because of the constant pain he has been in for over a decade. My uncle is a lot like me where he has never been a user or much of a drinker and never like taking medicine of any kind but unfortunately like me he got the family back and has had a lot of pain issues that have resulted. After years of it he got fed up with the Vicodin, constantly feeling like crap, constantly being constipated etc and stopped taking them in favor of MJ and it has absolutely changed his life. He gets the relief he needs from the pain and with a lot less side effects. Where he lives does not have a medical MJ law yet but its in the works and once it passes he plans to switch to the pill form.
    I have never tried the pill form, but have heard it won't work for a lot of things I have wrong and when it does work, for things like cancer or aids, you may get really stoned and be hungry, so it's great for that. For me, that's not what its about. I want to live life with dignity and quality rather than suffer all the time and do nothing. I am so glad your uncle has found this to help. I am sure it will add years to his life JB, just ask him, he already knows!! Thanks for sharing this brother JB, these are the things people need to hear about marijuana.
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links