CB500X or Wee Storm?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: CB500X or Wee Storm?

CB500X or Wee Storm?

I am looking at getting a more road friendly bike and these are the 2 I am considering.
    I have never owned a road bike and I find my WR has lots of get up and go on the road, but it just is not the comfortable.

I like the Honda as it is supposed to be very nimble and there is the rally raid kit. Also a DualSportBC rider I know loves his.

The new Wee Storms come with spoked wheels, but I don't want to pay the much and am looking at used (cast wheels). A colleague of mine has the Wee Storm and has been happy with it and of course LT likes his.

I will be doubling Linda for some small trips, but I also want a bike I will be able to take on gravel roads at some point. (Not interest in the high bred Exotic European bikes) (Thinking Budget Japanese)

Is ABS a must have these days?

There are more used Wee Storms (6) on the market in my area than CB500Xs (2).

The used Wee Storms for sale in my area have 27000 Kms + and the Hondas have 6000 and 10000 Kms.

Thoughts and reasons on what you would get.
    TWilight likes this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

That could be a tough choice, I had an 07 DL1000, a ton of fun and plenty of power, till it was totaled by a pickup truck... Suzuki had just announced the remake on the DL650, so I healed up, and replaced it with the "new" Wee. I absolutely cannot say enough good stuff about the 2012 + DL650. My wife had an 08 Wee, and as nice as it was, the newer model is very nice, enough change on the motor to be noticeable, nicer dash, with gear indicator, thermometer, trip computer, etc, all around, a very nice bike. I use mine for commuting and multi state tours, and it's very comfortable and capable of that, even two up.
    You may have seen this article, but it seems a good comparison of the two. Last summer, I rode down Hwy 1 to Malibu and zig zagged back north through Nevada and California, those roads and bridges in the article look very familiar. Good luck with your choice, you can hardly go wrong.

https://rideapart.com/articles/suzuk...omparison-test
    Hidden Content

Oregon, love the climate and riding, not so much the lefty politics.

Thanks Byron,
    I have read the article and kind of like the idea of the more nimble 500.
    TWilight likes this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'd have to say to really consider the Wee or a Vee. These are awesome bikes. Great suspension, super dependable, more than enough power on either bike for 2 up, capable of putting a lot of luggage on it if you want, and many of these go many many thousands of miles with almost no maintenance, ergonomically very comfortable. I've had quite a few bikes over the years and I have to say, I think this is the nicest bike I have ever owned. They are a great bike, period. I love my Vee!! At least go ride one and see for yourself...
    ejfranz, TWilight and Byron like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Just read the article and review on both bikes, I think the Wee has more to offer overall.
    TWilight likes this.
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

RDW
    I don't know how tall you are, but you might also consider the height of the bikes. The V Strom has a pretty high seat height. Yes they can be lowered some. But the center of gravity is still pretty high on those bikes. Definitely no expert here but I did own one. They are indeed a very nice machine. I know nothing about the Honda.
    littletommy likes this.
    2013 TW200---2007 XT225---2014 CB500X
    "Everyday is a school day"

The Wee's seat does sit a little lower than the Vee. Ride one somewhere by all means before making your choice. I think you will be impressed.
    TWilight and ejfranz like this.

reasons? Twlight

Right now the rally raid kits are on back order so I would not be ordering one until next year if I went with the Honda. This would give me a chance to see if I like the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by ejfranz View Post
    reasons? Twlight

Right now the rally raid kits are on back order so I would not be ordering one until next year if I went with the Honda. This would give me a chance to see if I like the bike.
    The stock CB500X is an OK little bike. It's a dutiful little around-town scoot and pretty fun in tight twisties. I put a little over 800 miles on my CB in stock form.

The Rally Raid Level 3 kit completely transforms the bike in a very good way, making it much more dirt capable without really compromising anything in street performance. Once Rally Raid comes out with the new lowered and forward peg mounts it'll be just about the perfect twin-powered replacement for a 650 thumper - and at only twice the cost! I think it's worth it (obviously) but I'll have to live with the bike for awhile longer before I'm 100% sure.

I bought my CB specifically to do the Rally Raid conversion, I honestly never would have considered it otherwise. Having ridden the stock bike for awhile, I still think that I'd rather have any number of other bikes than a stock CB500X. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad little sewing machine on wheels but before the conversion there just wasn't anything exciting about the CB for me. After the conversion - that's a different story - and one that I intend to tell in more depth in a separate thread (after a little more seat time) instead of hijacking yours further.

I have spent a bit of time on a friend's 2012 Wee-Strom, and I only have good things to say about the bike. The 650 V-Twin feels so much more powerful and satisfying than the Honda 500 parallel twin, it's a much bigger difference than the 150cc would suggest. The size of the bike also makes it more comfortable, it rides more like a big-boy adventure bike. There's a lot more room for 2 people and luggage on the Wee. The Wee has almost certainly got to be the biggest bang for your buck on the market.

If I were you, with your current stable, I'd go for a Wee-Strom over the CB500X. The Wee is going to give you a broader spread of capability in your lineup. If you do settle on the Wee, look for a 2012+ Adventure model.
    2011 TW200 - Sold - after 9700 miles and 1,000,000 smiles. So long Tee Dub!
    2012 KLR650
    - Sold
    2013 Tiger Explorer XC
    2014 CB500X - RRP L3

Quote Originally Posted by DonBenito View Post
    The stock CB500X is an OK little bike. It's a dutiful little around-town scoot and pretty fun in tight twisties. I put a little over 800 miles on my CB in stock form.

The Rally Raid Level 3 kit completely transforms the bike in a very good way, making it much more dirt capable without really compromising anything in street performance. Once Rally Raid comes out with the new lowered and forward peg mounts it'll be just about the perfect twin-powered replacement for a 650 thumper - and at only twice the cost! I think it's worth it (obviously) but I'll have to live with the bike for awhile longer before I'm 100% sure.

I bought my CB specifically to do the Rally Raid conversion, I honestly never would have considered it otherwise. Having ridden the stock bike for awhile, I still think that I'd rather have any number of other bikes than a stock CB500X. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad little sewing machine on wheels but before the conversion there just wasn't anything exciting about the CB for me. After the conversion - that's a different story - and one that I intend to tell in more depth in a separate thread (after a little more seat time) instead of hijacking yours further.

I have spent a bit of time on a friend's 2012 Wee-Strom, and I only have good things to say about the bike. The 650 V-Twin feels so much more powerful and satisfying than the Honda 500 parallel twin, it's a much bigger difference than the 150cc would suggest. The size of the bike also makes it more comfortable, it rides more like a big-boy adventure bike. There's a lot more room for 2 people and luggage on the Wee. The Wee has almost certainly got to be the biggest bang for your buck on the market.

If I were you, with your current stable, I'd go for a Wee-Strom over the CB500X. The Wee is going to give you a broader spread of capability in your lineup. If you do settle on the Wee, look for a 2012+ Adventure model.
    Nice write up Don.

I was originally looking for a Wee myself, but I wanted a near-pristine bike and most of them I found, had too many miles. My personal thoughts are that the Wee is a great around town bike and also highway bike, perfectly capable of anything you want to do with it, 2up, luggage, enough extra power if needed pulling hills or passing, anything you want, no sweat, and it also gets pretty good gas mileage. The Vee on the other hand, is a bit of a gas hog around town, but if you want a bike with torque and power, they'll almost scare you or at least they will tell you to respect them. On the highway, it's like a Cadillac though, and gets pretty decent gas mileage and it has the overdrive. It just purr's along. A very sweet bike. I went with a Vee though, since the weight difference between the two bikes isn't much and there was a pristine one in town with 3,000 miles on it, although it is an 06, it was garaged, cared for, and only had a small scuff on one of the handguards. I am relatively sure that the guy I bought it from, was scared to death of it. Only thing I wish it had was ABS brakes, although it does an excellent job at stopping anyway. I always look for "keepers"; bikes that will last forever with the plan to keep them forever. This is one of those bikes. Also, as I age; it will get a sidecar on it eventually, if I can still ride. It's the perfect machine for that. Besides mine not having ABS brakes and the around town gas mileage, (which isn't really all that bad) I absolutely love this bike.
    Byron, ejfranz and TWilight like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links