How Did We Ever Get By?
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: How Did We Ever Get By?

How Did We Ever Get By?

Back in the day (ya, I know, here we go again) there was a time for me of open face helmets. The Tdub has had it reserface for me. I bought a cheepy open face cause I figured it would be all I need for most of the off road work the Tdub does. And, fer sure, the Moab trip in March proved just that. But, here's the thing. I seem to be getting bee stung more and more in the last number years. So much so that it's got me pretty buttoned up tight on the highway, full faced, ATGATT, and all. I just can't remember it happening that much, if at all BITD. There was nary a bug at Moab at that time of year so the evil bee thoughts were far from my head. But, back in the GWN (you figure it out) we have had an exceptional spring and just when the buds were starting to happen a few weeks back I was out merrily trepsing (trepsing?) along and a wasp flew into the side of the open face. I was able to reach in quick and roll the bugger out but not before he scraped me slightly with his weapon of choice and left my side of jaw itching for a week or so. And now I'm back to full face and button up.
    It's not just paranoia for me. Last year walking (yes walking) at our local HU meet, wearing one of my many flowery Hawaiian shirts, I watched a bee fly straight at me, go down the front and tit sting me good. Almost needed a Brozeer after that one. Then last fall I had a big Mufferfluffer hiding in a candy wrapper I reached into who got me good between my pinky and second digit. That on was work documenting.20151030_083525 (Medium).jpg
    This year I am trying for less.

When I was a young lad, hornets and bees did not make to big an ipression on me. Now it is a whole different story. Last time I got stung I swelled up big time. Of course I got hit about 12 times in the elbow and face, but the swelling was like I had not had before. I am getting a bit leery of them now. I catch one up my sleeve on occasion, but wear a good face shield while at highway speeds. Have been hit too many times to not take precautions.

You only have to look at your visor in Summer to see what’s out there – big buggers - some of them must be carrying concealed ………

In Spain a few years ago – a honey bee decided to settle on my arm. Nudged it up to the tip of my middle finger, turned it into the wind and waited. I’d heard from some programme or another that breathing on them can set them off (they think it’s a mammal attack apparently, and puts the whole nest on scramble). After a few minutes it lifted off into the wind and went on its merry way – my wife who was watching was most impressed. Looking back on it, it was a gamble at best that I wouldn’t end up with a throbbing finger tip – sometimes they do – sometimes they don’t.

But sitting in the garden last year with a glass of fruit juice, I took a sip, and felt something bite me on my upper lip – it was a wasp who’d had enough of swimming, but didn’t fancy what came next. Didn’t sting me which would have perfectly understandable – just nipped my lip with its jaws – never understood that one. Mind you, the “fruit juice” was alcoholic – he may have been pissed, but in a nice way.

Now - if only the mosquitos on my recent holiday had such manners ……..
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

When I was a tiny precious little girl of five or six, a neighboring friend and I would hunt bees in our back yard clover. The fuzzy little black and yellow things would settle on a white flower and we'd STOMP stun them, then gently put them in a little lunch box to keep. They made a terrific sound when the box was shaken. We did that occasionally to wake them up because we were going to have honey, dontcha know! Funny enough, we never got stung during this whole operation.

Of course, when Mom saw what we were doing, she was very angry and explained how foolish and cruel we were being. She asked how long we'd been doing this, and I couldn't remember so I opened the lunchbox to count the bees.................

Mad scramble ensued as the few little fuzzy balls of fury flew out of the box. Luckily, most of them were dead, and the rest were just a little fuzzy (too shaken up and overheated in a metal lunch box, I think). I remember realizing that we'd killed the ones that weren't moving anymore and started to crying. One or two of those not quite dead yet valiantly buzz-crawled along the edge, and I picked one up to put it back on a flower in apology. Of course it stung the beejeezuz out of me! LOL! But one look from Mom and I took it without a word. It was the best lesson that 'do unto others' covers all of creation, not just people.
    littletommy, GTG, Darth and 7 others like this.
    Hidden Content Midlife Crisis Mode - Activated! Hidden Content
    My 2-Wheel Babies: 2017 Versys X 300 - 2006 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 - 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 - 2014 Honda Ruckus
    My Other Recreational Rides: 1991 Bluebird Prison RV - Cheap Kayak - Burning Man Bike

As young boys me and my brother attacked a Yellow jacket nest with squirt guns but forgot to cover our flank. I got slammed by a dozen of those bastards and spent two week in intensive care from an allergic reaction to their deadly venom. Close to death for a few days. Fast forward and I married a gal who had never been stung by a bee but when it did happen her arm swelled up in minutes and it began going up her arm in less than 5 minutes. I piled her in the truck and made a mad dash to the ER just in time before her throat closed off. Fortunately we are both only allergic to the Yellow Jackets but any bee stings cause us severe problems.

I ride my bike with a jacket and closed cuffs even in 90 degrees and my helmet is the modular type that flips up when I stop. I took a direct hit from a big Bumble Bee to my chest back some years ago at around 100 MPH in a T shirt that about took me off the bike. He did not have the guts to do that again but I spent a couple weeks with a big purple welt on my chest from the ordeal.

Dress for the occasion!

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I'm sellectively lucky. Wasp hurts a little. Bees are like other peoples mosquito bites for me. I can eat poison ivy and rub poison oak on my skin. But spiders can put a hard half golf ball on me. Then it turns into a spongy half baseball before going away. Full face and armored jacket whenever I leave my neighborhood.
    2010 TW200Z : Kick starter, rear CycleRack, 14:47 final w/o-ring chain, shorai 14, Shinko 244 5.10-18 Hidden Content .........

I had a big fat June bug hit me smack dead center of my forehead one time at highway speeds or a bit more.. Yep, it does feel like could knock you off your bike for a sec.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
    I had a big fat June bug hit me smack dead center of my forehead one time at highway speeds or a bit more.. Yep, it does feel like could knock you off your bike for a sec.
    Years back a guy on a cycle got hit in the chest by a turkey.................. Hit him so hard that it killed him.. If that happens, I guess it was your time..... OMM.

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Arg....the stories I could tell you about being stung or hit by bugs, while riding.

Yesterday, SanDue (Dan) had a WASP in his jacket, down his neck, and into his back. The WASP was so big (how big was it), that it was carrying a sign...Vote for Donald Trump

If I could have, I would have STOMPED on that WASP.
    If I could I would hang that sign on my front door! I am just so tired of "More of the same old crap" with all of these political losers. I think it is "Time for a cool change" and the group Triumph did a very fine song with that title that one of you computer wizards could probably add right here.

No need for Hate now, you can waste your vote on Hillary if you like and we can Beech about it for the next 4-8 years.

GaryL
    jtomelliott49 likes this.
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    Arg....the stories I could tell you about being stung or hit by bugs, while riding.

Yesterday, SanDue (Dan) had a WASP in his jacket, down his neck, and into his back. The WASP was so big (how big was it), that it was carrying a sign...Vote for Donald Trump

If I could have, I would have STOMPED on that WASP.
    Hahaha-------Hope you all had a good laugh about Dan getting bee stung! The little bad bug, BAD BUG! The darn wasp flys inside my helmet and stings me on the back of the neck. Dang that hurt! DANG THAT HURT AGAIN!! I stop the bike, remove my prescription sunglasses that I picked up that mourning before the ride. Set them down and wham I'm stung again! Off with the helmet,coat, long sleeve shirt, wham stings me again. Off with two tee shirts and now I'm standing their half naked swating at a wasp somewhere on my back. It must have been a wasp because it felt like Cinnimon Fire Ball Whiskey coming out my sinuses, another story another time. I put my gear back on and realize no one is coming to my rescue. I started to panic thinking I was going to be left behind as Sue was carrying the lunch. Evidently Sue and TWilight were in the mood for a good laugh and waited for me. I catch up with them sitting on the side of the road. They had a good laugh at my expense and off we went again. Come to think about it, once we got riding again the pain went away along with all my cares in the world! Dirts a Flyen. SanDue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links