Anybody tried a Harbor Freight compressor?
Close

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By Flathats
  • 1 Post By admiral
  • 1 Post By Flathats
  • 1 Post By Joemama
  • 3 Post By GaryL
  • 1 Post By Mattwings
  • 1 Post By scotti158
  • 2 Post By BillMichaels
  • 1 Post By jb882
  • 1 Post By Fred

Thread: Anybody tried a Harbor Freight compressor?

Anybody tried a Harbor Freight compressor?

Needing a new one for the shop....wanting at least a 17 gallon 150 psi stand up type....
    jtomelliott49 likes this.

Long time since you've been on. No experience with a stand-up air compressor. Got one of the small ones to carry on the TW but that ain't quite what yer look'in for! Bought so much stuff from HB over the years I forget what was bought where. Now you have me going to look at my 5 gal compressor to see if it's a HB.
    Hidden Content A ride in the woods helps me relax and release tension. The fact I'm dragging a body should be entirely irrelevant?

Busy....busy....busy......ditchriding, trapping, and farming.... tried to call ya the other day....

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I have one. I don't like it. Poor quality.

I bought one of their little wheeled tank type oil less compressors on sale for around $99. The first one didn't work at all so I took it back. The second one worked for about a week so I took it back. The third one is in my garage since last spring and so far so good with it but this time when it takes a dump I will take it to the land fill. Almost all of the stuff from HF is made in either China, Indonesia or Thailand on the cheap so you are for sure getting what you paid for. Don't take that the wrong way, a lot of the stuff you buy from the other stores is also made by those same manufacturers but might be the same junk at a higher price but a different color or model number. I really would like to say Buy American but that is not too easy these days and even then half the stuff that makes it work was made in China or the others.

Here in the US it is near impossible for a company to make much of anything because of the taxes and regulations. Some group will bitch about either the air pollution or ground water pollution associated with the manufacturing process or the unions want $15/hr starting pay for the slugs and the manufacturing buildings have to be built by union labor at $30+/hr where 6 guys stand around with their thumbs up their ass directing one working with a shovel made in China from reclaimed American steel we sent over there because they can't smelt it here.

GaryL
    Be Decisive! Right or Wrong just make a decision. ​ The road of life is paved with flat squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

1987 Yamaha BW350 Big Wheel
    2017 Snowdog Track sled tow motor for ice fishing
    Kubota BX2370 Subcompact tractor with snow blower
    Wilderness System Ride 115 fishing Kayaks

I think it depends on the load and use. I have a small pancake style from HF and it's fine, but it isn't run often or for long periods. I think they carry some better ones that appear to be the same manufacturer that build CH and Craftsman.
    Last edited by Mattwings; 05-01-2016 at 04:52 PM.

I'm not a fan of HB stuff either. Too many tools dead on arrival or they just don't last. My only exception is the motorcycle jack I got there a few years back. Still works great, but then again, it's not a power tool.
    2013 Yamaha TW200

1996 Yamaha TW200

1995 Kawasaki KLR650

2002 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 with sidecar

Best tool from HF is the motorcycle "Wheel Balancer". I've used it on HD wheels as well as many TW's. I bring it to all TW-Brian's Wrench & Rides. No complaints so far.
    littletommy and TW-Brian like this.
    1998 HD FLHTC

2004 TW200

2004 TW200

I have a couple thing from HF that i'm actually impressed with. The bike lift table i got from them has been fantastic and i recently got a 6hp motor from them to put on my old tiller and that is great too.

Things i wont buy at HF, anything with an electric motor and air tools. I have had zero luck with either. The hand tools they sell i consider disposable.

When it comes to a shop air compressor i would personally stay away from any oil free ones regardless of brand, they don't last when used a bunch. I own a oil less pancake compressor and i replace them ~2 years or so because the pumps wear out and that is only doing home improvement work for myself, my girlfriend and family running nail guns. What kind of tools do you plan on running?
    littletommy likes this.
    Pair of 2006 TW's modded to the hilt and a Ducati Multistrada.

Hidden Content

I gave a small Harbor Freight compressor as a gift a few years ago, never heard of any complaints from the recipient.
    No experience with 17 gallon or other upright tank models though.
    Get their extended warrantee and they will periodically replace it and roll over the warrantee for another period. While they say "No questions asked" they do ask some questions at time of exchange, but still honor replacement policy.
    littletommy likes this.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Sponosred Links