If You Can't Afford Good Protective Gear... Don't Ride
Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree128Likes

Thread: If You Can't Afford Good Protective Gear... Don't Ride

If You Can't Afford Good Protective Gear... Don't Ride

I have been saying this to my boys for awhile now. It's not that they can't afford it, it's that they choose not to wear it. Learning the hard way sucks. I've been riding on the streets now going on three years, and it's been an eye opener. I said once that riding is a sport...Twilight corrected me and said "riding is a way of life". Ride around unprotected... and your life can be seriously effected. Sure protective gear is cumbersome but I choose to wear it. I would enjoy riding around in tennis shoes, jeans and a Tshirt but it's not safe. To all you young guys... Listen to your elders!!! my boys and I kinda laugh now when I say "you just don't F^*king listen".

Have you ever had an accident where protective gear would have saved you?
    ejfranz, TWilight, GTG and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TopPredator View Post
    I have been saying this to my boys for awhile now. It's not that they can't afford it, it's that they choose not to wear it. Learning the hard way sucks. I've been riding on the streets now going on three years, and it's been an eye opener. I said once that riding is a sport...Twilight corrected me and said "riding is a way of life". Ride around unprotected... and your life can be seriously effected. Sure protective gear is cumbersome but I choose to wear it. I would enjoy riding around in tennis shoes, jeans and a Tshirt but it's not safe. To all you young guys... Listen to your elders!!! my boys and I kinda laugh now when I say "you just don't F^*king listen".

Have you ever had an accident where protective gear would have saved you?
    Not sure because I have had mine on every time I have dirt napped my bike. 3 times now I believe.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    ejfranz, TWilight, GTG and 4 others like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

Hit a boulder at 40 mph and went over the handle bars and had road rash on both my elbows. Went to ER and had an unhappy nurse clean my wounds.
    That hurt more than the original crash. Have worn all the gear since then.

A few years later went over a drop off and landed on my back with the bike on top of me. The back protector was crushed and cracked, but my back was intact.

You never know when you will need it.
    TWilight, GTG, littletommy and 4 others like this.
    2001 TW200 sporting a MT43 up front. Duro has gone to a good home. 2015 VStrom XT, 1996 DT 200, Broken 2010 Xingue 400 XY. 2009 WR250r now shared with my son.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

I seem to notice lots of people riding wearing proper gear on the top half helmets/jackets/gloves .... then a set of jeans and sneakers.

We had a contributing member on another forum get in a bad wreck back in 2011. The guy involved in the 2011 wreck "hangster" was wearing steel toe work boots and had his foot crushed between the engine case and the bumper of a vehicle. After months of rehab and surgery they eventually amputated his foot ..... and the thread itself and the life changing consequences were a eye opener for me.

Up until this point I was a avid "work boots will do" rider, since growing up that was what my father made me wear on the dirt bikes. That said a steel toe high ankle work boot doesn't offer the proper ankle protection and support required for you foot to survive a bad wreck/crash ..... if you don't believe me click on the link and scroll through the pics.

GRAPHIC PICS ..... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

crashed , hospital 2 weeks now - Page 2 - Wrist Twisters

After 30+ years of off-road racing I've had the chance to product test many idem's of protective clothing. Helmets have saved my life three times I can remember and body armor has kept me from more serious injury too many to remember. Even with all the gear I've broken bones,gotten sprains,cracked ribs and scattered brains but I'm still here. If I was not A.G.A.T.T. who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Heli-Mech View Post
    I seem to notice lots of people riding wearing proper gear on the top half helmets/jackets/gloves .... then a set of jeans and sneakers.

We had a contributing member on another forum get in a bad wreck back in 2011. The guy involved in the 2011 wreck "hangster" was wearing steel toe work boots and had his foot crushed between the engine case and the bumper of a vehicle. After months of rehab and surgery they eventually amputated his foot ..... and the thread itself and the life changing consequences were a eye opener for me.

Up until this point I was a avid "work boots will do" rider, since growing up that was what my father made me wear on the dirt bikes. That said a steel toe high ankle work boot doesn't offer the proper ankle protection and support required for you foot to survive a bad wreck/crash ..... if you don't believe me click on the link and scroll through the pics.

GRAPHIC PICS ..... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

crashed , hospital 2 weeks now - Page 2 - Wrist Twisters
    My son hit a deer three weeks ago and he out of work for at
    Least 6 months. He was wearing his work boots and broke his foot. I hate to say this but I told him not to wear them riding. He said they would be fine and of course he left his motorcycle boots at home. He also dislocated his shoulder, on a scale of 1-5 it was a 5.
    He's now riding a power chair.

He will now be added to my prayer list.

Quote Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
    He will now be added to my prayer list.
    Thank you
    littletommy likes this.

Was hit years ago on my CBR1000 in winter time. I was stopped at a light behind traffic, I had leather jacket and jeans, gloves, work boots, gloves, n helmet. Guy just plainly ran into me from behind, sending me air born, bike 1000 pieces, hit his windshield, smashed that, he stopped and I rolled off and hit a van in front of me in the rear, stood up to see the car take off the other way, prolly drugs or warrents more then likely. Only had minor shoulder swelling where I busted his windshield with my shoulder. GLAD... I had that gear on for sure. My helmet was cracked from hitting the van in front of me, small road rash on hip. WEAR... gear kids please......
    2005 TW200
    2007 Sportster 1200

I feel the Angels of God must be watching over me, I've never been in an accident in over 50 years.

How many decades did I go without wearing nothing? A few.

Nowadays, no way. Maybe I value my life more now or I am just smarter than I used to be, I don't know, probably the first one.

Plus, I've lived in enough pain already. I don't need any more brought on by my own stupidity.

I wear a helmet, gloves and a jacket bare minimum. I would wear also at least kevlar reinforced levis, but they don't have them in "my" size and haven't for many a year. If I can ever reach that size, I will get some and also some real armored pants for the road.

I will admit though, once or twice a year, on the hottest few days of the year, I may ride 2 or 3 blocks on side streets to the nearest hamburger joint for a ice cold ice cream cone, chocolate or mixed usually.

On those days, I wear a helmet and gloves and leave the jacket at home. And, I don't even hardly hit 20mph, not that that is an excuse, it's not.

I've been pretty fortunate and only tipped over two bikes too. Once when I was riding on a 30 or so degreed road and had to make an emergency stop (probably only going 5mph too) when a guy shot over the top of the hill and headed down past me as I was trying to pull out and turn down the hill too. Yes, I looked once, twice, three times and started to make my turn and made "my always; one more look, just in case" as I was actually pulling out and here he came. I hit the brakes, but I was already turning left slowly and then with the weight of the bike on that side and my emergency stop, my left foot didn't reach the ground for a bit of distance and when it did, the 600 lb pig I was riding fell over, I couldn't hold it up.

Felt like a dork, me on the ground, the bike laying downward on the tank side, gas going all over. I had to pick it up immediately because of the gas and traffic was behind me and what an ordeal. My feet were slipping in the gas and I did get it up, but then couldn't brake it and balance it as I struggled to get around to the higher other side and mount it. Finally got it though after all using a different method.

Second time was on the TW when I was about to go riding with a couple Harley friends and while they were warming up those cold blooded Sportsters, I decided to slowly putt putt putt around in front of them into a huge mud puddle from rain the night before, goose it and drop the clutch and spray muddy water all over them.

Well, guess what happens when you try to show off...I should have known better. I did in fact; but continued to putt putt putt innocently around in front of them anyway. Well I got in the middle of the puddle, stopped, standing up on the pegs, goosed it and dumped the clutch. Well, I hadn't warmed up my bike either, but it had gladly started and acted like it was ready to instantly obey my every command, but it went Blaaaah... instead; and died when I whipped open the throttle. I went to put my feet on the ground right away, even though I was in the middle of a huge puddle; what choice did I have? None.

As I did though, my pant leg got caught on the stupid narrow foot peg of the TW and over we went in slow motion; making a huge splash in the mud puddle.

I looked like an ice cream cone half dipped in chocolate mud, one half of my body from almost head to toe. O, you should have heard them laugh.

I deserved it too. Showing off. Next time, I'll be SURE to warm up the bike though...he he. O wait, we're talking about "learning lessons" here though, right?

I did actually crash a bike though, once, when I was just a young pup of 13 or 14. I convinced a friend of my vast experience with bikes and talked him into riding his brand new Yamaha or Suzuki 175?? that his Dad had just bought him; that he had sneaked out without permission and come to show us. Well, we were up on the school grounds baseball field and I noticed the pitcher's mound, and of course wanting to show my skills, headed off as fast as I could towards it to jump it.

We had no sooner executed the maneuver (the bike and I) when I noticed the solid wood backboard headed my way or was it the other way around?, and HAD to lay it down or slam into it. I basically jumped off and the bike hit the backboard crashing into it at at least 25 mph and destroyed it. I had bent the handlebars, one side, almost hanging by a thread, the mirror also almost sheered off and hanging and a hole punched into the crankcase by the shifter pedal.

I tried to convince the kid that his bike was just fine, but I don't think he believed me. Later on, he and his Dad showed up at my door wanting to talk to my father. It didn't go well and I ended up doing quite a bit of side work to pay for the damages. Also, that kid was never allowed to hang out with me again. Funny..must be some kind of a coincidence as I've heard that before a few times in my earlier life.

Anyway, the two things I have learned with riding bikes that have helped me the most is:

Don't ride any faster than, you can stop; within the distance, you can see.

And always look, once, twice, three times and then just one more time as you execute your maneuver.

Just those two things have saved my bacon many times.

*** Ok, now I am wanting to hear about Mike's flying off a cliff. Don't remember hearing that one before and I want to hear it!!!

God Bless you brothers and sisters out there and be careful.
    Last edited by littletommy; 05-04-2016 at 09:29 AM.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponosred Links