Anglesey .....
Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Anglesey .....

Anglesey .....

Been a bit quiet here today — probably to do with LT’s promotion - none of us daring to piss him off any more, which kinda takes the fun out of it. But we’ll bounce back soon enough ……..

So, I thought I’d take the opportunity to introduce you to Anglesey — the land of the “Gogs” - derived from the Welsh “Gogledd Cymru” — though the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Wales suggests that to be exact, it refers to “the northernmost unofficial region of Wales” — but that page was probably written by that bunch of Southern softies who only speak “Wenglish”. As you may gather from this, there is a certain amount of rivalry between North and South — the two languages are quite different. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geogra...ntity_in_Wales explains it in more detail.

When I first moved here as an Englishman a year ago, I wasn’t sure what to expect -but, without exception, the Gogs are the most welcoming bunch of people you could hope to meet — a bit cheeky, but that goes with the territory — more of a “test” — well, you’ve got to get your laughs somewhere haven’t you ……

To understand the Island, you have to take things chronologically, and go right back to the beginning. First up, it’s a lump of rock, none of your nice cushy “Alluvial Plains” here —just pure volcanic lava. Over the years a layer of top soil has deposited itself, but I doubt that you’ll find any place on the Island where that soil is more than a few meters deep. Rock outcrops are as common as the Sheep, and the trees have learned to bend with the wind.

364300-windswept-tree.jpeg

The Romans first stuck their noses in around AD60 — met with fierce resistance (mostly by the women), and eventually found better things to do in “Londinium” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_...st_of_Anglesey - the buggers came back in force in AD77 though, slaughtered every Druid they could find, and that was that. 200 years later, they got bored and went home, but by that time the very culture of the Druids was gone — the days when a single man could halt a battle in mid-stride simply by walking onto the field was past ……..

The Vikings made it to the North West of this coast as late as 854 AD, banged their swords on their shields, and got their arses kicked by the locals When the Vikings invaded North Wales | National Museum Wales - but there are corners of the Island where you can still find their legacy.

Some of the stone monuments date back even further, and are little understood, both as to their origin and their use — but you are never far from an example, every other field seems to hold something if you look for it - Llanddaniel, Bryn Celli Ddu (second pic) is still simply accessible by foot — not a fence in sight ….. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryn_Celli_Ddu

610e595c2ec6a4492c579a4f1eb6e583.jpg . Anglesey, Llanddaniel, Bryn Celli Ddu, General view of the front.jpg

(To be continued tomorrow) ………..
    (Warning - Forum may contain nuts) ...... Hidden Content

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by TWilight View Post
    . In the 9th century, Norsemen established the Kingdom of the Isles. Magnus III, King of Norway, was also known as King of Mann and the Isles between 1099 and 1103.
    Yeah – probably the same lot we gave a kicking to earlier

“Your” Island and “my” Island do share some unique history though – but that’s a tale I’ve yet to tell ……..
    TWilight likes this.

TW200 - 1998 - Japanese import - 7000 miles on the clock - TW225 Special Edition 2007
    - Hidden Content

Both of you forgot to include the time Joey Dunlop ruled the Isle.
    TWilight likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    Been a bit quiet here today — probably to do with LT’s promotion - none of us daring to piss him off any more, which kinda takes the fun out of it. But we’ll bounce back soon enough ……..
    Purple, that is a very nice article. Thank you for sharing it with us here. I enjoy stuff like that.

Now on the part above you posted...

You, Fred and Mikey stop teasing me about it. I didn't want the position in the first place and told them so, but...
    God opened the door again somehow... and forced me...to walk through that door in faith, believing He wanted me in that position and would be there for me, to help me when I entered. It's just the way it is and what happened.

I think all of you recognise that I am a just; fair man; already known as a peacemaker here and might just possibly be a good moderator. You guys can tell me how I'm doing anytime, I try not to act like I know everything around here, because I don't. I will always listen to council though and do my very best job wherever I am placed. I take responsibilities given to me very seriously.

If anyone thinks I wouldn't; perhaps be a good moderator, then post it up here. I have no problem with that at all. We can always find someone better than me and I have no problem just hanging out here with friends; helping, if I can and shooting the breeze like I normally would be doing.

God opened this door twice for me now and I just better go see what He has in store for me; not that I want to, but that I have too; in obedience to Him; if that makes any sense to you folks out there. No offence meant at all to anyone.

I will never lie to you. I will always try to be fair in my judgements concerning the forum, and would seek council from other moderators and staff immediately if I felt I might not make the right decision. I personally just want this to be the best motorcycle forum online anywhere. This forum already has the reputation of being very helpful, very welcoming, and has some of the best mechanics around to help anyone in need, so let's keep it that way if we can.

Furthermore; I also have no problem in dropping the hammer on someone if gentle persuasion won't convince them to clean up their act. I can and will do my best job here though; that's just the way I am.

Generally, the only place we have problems around here with; is the Off Topic area, which we all love and enjoy and are thankful to have here.

Any subject is just fine to talk about there and generally well accepted by all.

But if belittling, goading, baiting, name calling or things get out of control; action will be taken. That is why they want me here. Hopefully; I can do this job well and if they want to dismiss me at anytime, that is ok with me as well.

You guys all know me pretty well here. So, if you have suggestions on how I can fulfill my duties here better, just let me know. I am available anytime.

I didn't want to go into this much detail about this position, but it is probably better if I just address it now so that everyone knows where I'm coming from.

So, let me get back to work and all of you carry on as usual.

I love all you folks here and am thankful just to be a part of this forum at all.

Everyone have a great day and I will continue to do what I do if you'll have me here.

Sincerely,
    littletommy

*** O, and for you "lurkers" out there; Come on in!!

Register and join up and enjoy yourselves here. Kick off your shoes and rest a spell.

Ask all the questions you want. We will welcome you here and all of us here; will help you if we possibly can. That's a promise and just about guaranteed here.
    admiral, Hidebound, Fred and 11 others like this.
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

No worries from my side LT - "just saying" how much I'm gonna miss teasing you -

If you and me ever had issues, out of respect, I'd take that up in PM with you - "out of respect" being the operative phrase, and that's how it should be .......

(Now stop hi-jacking my thread)

- Hidden Content

Gosh, I'm going to have to start behaving now.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Nice history lesson Purple, but don't let TWilight's 6500 B.C. date awe you. North of here in the Black Rock Desert a cave dwelling's middden pile yielded up radio carbon dated tule reed sandals from ~14,000B.C. much to the dismay of the "Clovis First" school of thought that puts first New World visitors at ~12,000B.C.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

Plenty more where that came from Fred - did quite a bit of research on the Island before I came here - happy to share .........

Next installment tomorrow .......

- Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    No worries from my side LT - "just saying" how much I'm gonna miss teasing you -

If you and me ever had issues, out of respect, I'd take that up in PM with you - "out of respect" being the operative phrase, and that's how it should be .......

(Now stop hi-jacking my thread)
    I knew you were teasing bro and you can do that anytime you wish... OK, done now, no more Hijackin...
    For the moment anyway...
    1st John 1:9
    If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

John 3:16
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:17
    For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Hidden Content <<<Click here. Hidden Content

frozen wasteland of the barren north, Yukon Territory, Canada
    Whew.... put away your guns boys.... there's a new sheriff in town. Wouldn't want a heated debate on first people to get LT fired up.....
    littletommy and TWilight like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponosred Links