Some help to ID Vintage First Aid kit, I think a Military kit?
Close

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By pred
  • 2 Post By Fred
  • 2 Post By Dryden-Tdub
  • 2 Post By Dryden-Tdub

Thread: Some help to ID Vintage First Aid kit, I think a Military kit?

Some help to ID Vintage First Aid kit, I think a Military kit?

I found this today at a local Flea and thought it was quite odd and wanted to figure out where it was from,
    There is no ID on the metal box itself that Ive found,
    As you can see, It sleeves into the box and has two large clasps on the top/side,
    The top with handle is cast steel and the entire assembly weighs about 12 pounds,
    Ive seen tons of old first aid kits, But not one like this,
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Peter Bfa2.jpgfa3.jpgfa1.jpg

Definitely not US Military.

Neat, well equipped. Sort of resembles some of the old MSA mine first aid kits I would see underground. Any discernible identification on the logos of the individual boxes?
    Last edited by Fred; 05-09-2016 at 09:43 PM.
    2003 TW200 "Betty Boop"
    2006 TW200 "Nibbler", a.k.a. “Mr.Gizmo"
    Hidden Content All Things Considered I’ld Rather Be Motorcycling

4. Remove Advertisements
    TW200Forum.com
    Advertisements

The first aid items were made by MSA in Pittsburgh,
    Seems odd to be in a mine due to weight,
    This one really puzzles me and I hope to find another like it for reference on the web,
    The bullet proof construction would lend to a jeep or vehicle mounted item,
    BUT I could be 100% wrong as well,
    Ill spend some time tomorrow eve looking it it under higher power and see if I can find anything anywhere on it,
    Peter B

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    The first aid items were made by MSA in Pittsburgh,
    Seems odd to be in a mine due to weight,
    This one really puzzles me and I hope to find another like it for reference on the web,
    The bullet proof construction would lend to a jeep or vehicle mounted item,
    BUT I could be 100% wrong as well,
    Ill spend some time tomorrow eve looking it it under higher power and see if I can find anything anywhere on it,
    Peter B
    KIT, FIRST AID, MOTOR VEHICLE, 12-Unit (item #97773)

(submitted by Alain Batens)

asb-23.jpg (58941 bytes)

(Kit, First Aid, Motor Vehicle, 12-Unit, Item #97773 – period 1942-1944 – from the collection of Alain Batens)

from L to R: open view of Medical Kit (the cover contains a label with full kit contents, directions for use of medical items, official nomenclature, and name of manufacturer (or distributor)

Contents of 12-Unit Motor Vehicle First-Aid Kit

(Period 1942-1944)

NOTE: This kit packed in a small transportable metal case is usually distributed, one per every fourth vehicle (e.g. jeep-weapon carrier-cargo truck, etc. excluding armored vehicles ) . In ¼ Ton Trucks it is usually stashed away in a holding bracket, centrally located under the vehicle’s dashboard . The metal case is of rectangular shape, and opens on either side w/clips (2 + hinge or 4) or on one side only with 2 clips, while the other side is foreseen with a single narrow hinge . It has only one carrying handle . The case is painted olive drab, while the lid shows a white FIRST AID in the upper part, a red caduceus w/ U.S. ARMY + MEDICAL DEPARTMENT on a white circular background in the center part, and a white FOR EMERGENCY USE ONLY in the lower part . The cover has a complete label inside with nomenclature, directions for use, and list of contents .

CONTENTS:

1 X Bandage, Gauze, White, 4-in x 6 yds, w/2 Large Safety Pins (item #92015)

1 X Bandage, Gauze, Compress, White, 4-in x 4-in (item #92002)

1 X Bandage, Gauze, Compress, White, 2-in x 2-in (item #92004)

1 X Bandage, Gauze, Adhesive, White, 1-in x 3-in (item #92000)

1 X Bandage, Triangular, Compressed, White (item #92040)

2 X Set, Burn, Injury, w/ Sulfadiazine Ointment & Applicator (item #91042)

1 X Set, Eye, Dressing (item #91095)

10 X Swab, Iodine (in single box) (item #91122)

10 X Inhalants, Ammonia (in single box) (item #91025)

1 X Set, Tourniquet-Scissors-Forceps (item #93797)

1 X Packet, Pin, Safety, Medium, Size 2 (item #78780)

6 X Packet, Sulfanilamide, each containing 5 grams Crystalline Sulfanilamide (sterile, individual, double-wrapped, paper envelope, w/ shaker top) (item #91211)

NOTE: Morphine Tartrate Syrettes of ½ Grain may be added to the kit only upon direction of the C.O. and when military circumstances indicate its need ! (this is item #91157)

Later modifications (course 1944 + early 1945) entail replacement of White bandage material by Field Brown (with change of item numbers) and increase from 5 > 7 digits, after June 1944)

It should be noted that contents sometimes differ as per supplier and, that they also evolve because of the continuous development of medicine in general. Complete kit is Item #97773, while Container is Item #97774.

Above kit was manufactured by MINE SAFETY APPLIANCES Co., Pittsburgh, PA, 23 June 1944

FM 21-11 First Aid For Soldiers April 7, 1943 states … this kit is supplied to motor vehicles, usually 1 to every fourth vehicle

KIT, FIRST AID, MOTOR VEHICLE, 12-Unit (Type D)

(submitted by Alain Batens)

asb-26.jpg (63250 bytes) …

(Kit, First Aid, Motor Vehicle, 12-Unit, Type D - period uncertain – from the collection of Alain Batens)

Closed view of subject Medical Kit (drawer type)

asb-271.jpg (61731 bytes)

(Kit, First Aid, Motor Vehicle, 12-Unit, Type D – period uncertain – from the collection of Alain Batens)

From L to R: open view of Medical Kit (drawer type, open showing inner box w/contents, the protection cover contains a label with full contents, directions for use, nomenclature and name of manufacturer, outer box )

Contents of 12-Unit Type D Motor Vehicle First-Aid Kit

(Period 1940-1942) ?

NOTE:: Is this kit dating from WW1, WW2 or from the period between the World Wars ? Who can tell ?

The kit is packed in a small rectangular transportable, rather heavy, metal case, distributed among every fourth vehicle (excluding armored types) . It looks like a drawer, since it slides open after unhooking the 2 clips on either side . When drawing open the kit, there’s a small metal ring allowing to pull open a protective cover, which then gives acces to the medical contents . This first aid kit has only one carrying handle . The case is painted in a brown drab shade, and used to have the full-color M-S-A emblem + markings on the front side (these decals have now almost completely gone), it also bears a white number 216 on the other side . Next to the cover (front part drawer) is an indication with THIS SIDE UP . The cover has a complete label inside with nomenclature, directions for use, and list of contents .

CONTENTS:

1 X Bandage, Gauze, Compress, 1-in x 3 ½ -in (item #92000) for covering large wounds & burns

2 X Bandage, Gauze, Compress, 2-in x 2-in (item #92004)for covering medium size wounds & burns

2 X Compress, Mercuro (item unknown) for covering small wounds

1 X Swab, Mercurochrome (item unknown) for sterilizing wounds

10 X Inhalants, Ammonia (in single box) (item #91025) for fainting & shock treating

1 X Bandage, Triangular, Compressed, White, 36-in x 36-in x 50-in (item #92040) for slings & covering dressings

1 X Bandage, Gauze, Compress, White, 4-in x 4-in (item #92002) for sprains & general bandaging

1 X Unguentine – for burns (item unknown)

1 X Tourniquet & Forceps (item unknown) for stopping arterial bleeding & removing splinters

NOTE:: Later modifications probably entailed replacements of certain items by others . It is not known when this kind of first aid kits (D=drawer type) was replaced by the standardized 12-Unit model … if anybody can fill-in the gap, any data are most welcome – thanks for your help

Above kit was manufactured by Mine Safety Appliances Co., Braddock Ave. & Thomas Blvd., Pittsburgh, Pa., U.S.A., the kit is referred to as M-S-A FIRST AID KIT, 12 UNIT – TYPE D (unfortunately there’s no mention of any date)

Please email me with any comments mailto:[email protected] David Steinert © Copyright 2001

Tom
    littletommy and Lyterx like this.
    It won't be greed which destroys America. It will be envy.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

You appear to have a 12 unit "D" model. Vehicle mounted during WW1 by the US military.

Tom
    littletommy and Lyterx like this.

Man who runs in front of motorcycle gets tired. Man who runs behind motorcycle gets exhausted.

I stand corrected.

cc1.jpgcc2.jpgI sent an email to Dave in the above post, Thanks Tom
    It appears the kit I have is quite a bit larger and may be of some interest to Dave Steinert in finding the different types available,
    I also read that some cases had Morphine in them, Guess I should look while Im looking for any other ID to properly date the first aid kit,
    Guess you never know what will turn up at the local Flea.
    Thanks all !
    I hope I can help Dave in his quest in writing these articles.
    Peter B
    Last edited by pred; 05-10-2016 at 04:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pred View Post
    cc1.jpgcc2.jpgI send an email to Dave in the above post, Thanks Tom
    It appears the kit I have is quite a bit larger and may be of some interest to Dave Steinert in finding the different types available,
    I also read that some cases had Morphine in them, Guess I should look while Im looking for any other ID to properly date the first aid kit,
    Guess you never know what will turn up at the local Flea.
    Thanks all !
    I hope I can help Dave in his quest in writing these articles.
    Peter B
    Well they also made the 16 unit kit in the same configuration. Maybe even a 20 unit but I found no documentation to support that hypothesis.

Tom

Sponosred Links